Question:

From Moreno Valley, California, USA:

My six-year-old was diagnosed in December 2014. She is constantly complaining of pain in her leg and neck. She also has headaches, is always irritated, frustrated, angry, bored, demanding, bossy, and lazy. She seems to feel the world revolves around her. She throws huge temper tantrums if nothing goes her way. Is this related to her diabetes? We are having martial problems due to her behavior.

Answer:

It is unlikely that these issues primarily a result of diabetes. One way to be sure is to check her blood sugars when she is engaging in difficult behaviors to be sure she is not low or high. Otherwise, I’d encourage you to meet with a child behavior specialist (ask your pediatrician for recommendations) to address these behaviors.

JWB

Posted to Aches and Pains and Behavior

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

Last Updated: Tuesday March 31, 2015 15:08:07

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.