Question:

From Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA:

My daughter had stomach pains/cramps this morning two hours after eating breakfast. She said she felt like something was squeezing her stomach. She was doubled over, couldn't stand up straight. She had a 75 gram carbohydrate breakfast with nothing unusual that she hasn't had before and dosed with 4 units of insulin. He pre-breakfast blood sugar was 104 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L]. When the pain began, she was 172 mg/dl [9.6 mmol/L]. This happened once before and it went away on its own. The first time, it was in the early morning after having ice cream before bedtime snack. Her blood sugar was in the 70s mg/dl [3.9 to 4.4 mmol/L] that time. I called the doctor, was told to cut back on Lantus 12 units. Since then, we had to cut back even more, to 9 units. Today, she had whole grain French toast (42 grams), sugar free syrup (11 grams), cantaloupe (10 grams), and a glass of milk (12 grams). She took 4 units of insulin at 7:30; at 9:00, the pain started. It went away after she drank about 16 ounces of water. She had no ketones, but she did have slight nausea when the pain was escalating. Today, I made her drink water and she said it did feel better after that. She is napping now, tired. Do you think she was dehydrated? Her numbers are not awful: she is well controlled, in the honeymoon phase right now. Is this common? I'm too new at this to know.

Answer:

This does not sound like it is diabetes related. Gluten sensitivities, including celiac disease could do this, as can lactose intolerance so you should discuss this with your diabetes team and/or primary care physician. Strictly avoiding lactose and gluten for two to four weeks assiciated with no such symptoms would make these more likely.

Posted to Aches and Pains

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

Last Updated: Wednesday April 08, 2015 14:50:29

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.