Question:

From Poland, Ohio, USA:

My 47-year-old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 15 years. She has suffered with DKA, seizures and low blood sugars, which have hospitalized her over 35 times. It seems that her sugar levels are uncontrollable at this time. She does not want a pump. I think it is because she is slow and feels that she wouldn't be able to handle it. She sees her endocrinologist regularly but we aren't getting any answers to our situation. Her doctor constantly accuses her of not eating right or not correctly injecting her insulin. She is on a sliding scale for her insulin. Can you help me with any suggestions to ease her suffering, and mine? This is very hard on our family since we have made many trips to the hospital over the years.

Answer:

I think that your daughter is not unreasonable when it comes to dealing with her endocrinologist. She listens and tries to do the best she can, but this is not always how I would coach it. It may be that she needs to find another provider, one that relates to her better. I think that she needs to hear the words again and decide how she should go. If she is timid, she can grow stronger of mind. If she is less timid, your daughter can grow into strength.

My take on the provider part of things is that she needs to have control of what she is doing, needs to have some of her earliest lessons reviewed. She needs basic instruction and a very direct message. As far as the message goes, she needs constant reenforcement of the message about caring. She needs a provider who can communicate with her and not make her feel bad. She should be seeing her endocrinologist and staff every 3 to 4 months. Also, your daughter needs to also have someone to talk things over. You may or may not want to be that person. Finally, try to help her with making good decisions and support her as best you can.

Last Updated: Wednesday January 13, 2016 19:05:23

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.