Question:

From Edinburgh, Scotland:

My 3-year-old daughter is currently having problems with not being able to pass urine properly. Some days, she will urinate only once or even sometimes can go days without urinating. She was recently at hospital due to having a stomach bug and became dehydrated. When I was there, the doctor got me to smell her breath which they said was smelling of ketones. Could this be due to diabetes? The smell is getting stronger everyday. Does any one have any advice please?

Answer:

Ketones only indicate that the body is burning fats. In diabetes, this may happen when there is insulin deficiency, then high sugar levels and finally the body turns to burning fats for energy. It can also occur if there is malnutrition or illness causing lack of appetite. With diabetes, there would also be expected increased urination amounts and/or frequency so it is not likely that this is the cause. I would suggest that you return to your health care providers and have them check for a blockage in the urinary tact, dehydration and/or other causes of ketones. They can also check blood ketones and also urine ketone levels at the same time when they check weight and height and plot them on standard charts.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Ketones

Last Updated: Sunday January 24, 2016 20:04:14

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.