Question:

From Canon City, Colorado, USA:

My daughter's blood sugar averages 200 to 300 mg/dl [11.1 to 16.7 mmol/L]. I know that's too high and we're working on it. Her school sends her home quite frequently, then they mark her absent and it's unexcused. That's not right, is it? And, if she isn't feeling well but not sick enough to go to the doctor, I'll call her in and those are unexcused as well. Is that right?

Answer:

Does your child have a Section 504 plan? What do your provider's orders prescribe? Your child's orders should spell out a target range for your child's blood glucose levels and also at what point your child needs an intervention. High blood glucose in and of itself should not necessitate your child's early dismissal or an unexcused absence or tardy. Your child has legal rights and schools have a legal obligation to provide services to enable your child to safely and fairly access the school setting. I recommend that you learn as much as you can about your child's federal and state legal protections by reading Safe at School. Share this information with your school nurse and work with your school to develop a Section 504 plan. Share this link to training resources with your school nurse diabetes.org/safeatschooltraining. Reach out to your child's provider to help educate your school nurse and other school personnel about appropriate diabetes management - including appropriate treatment and actions to take when blood sugars are outside of target range. And, work with your child's provider to find practical strategies, as needed, to help manage your child's diabetes. I encourage you to call the ADA at 1-800-DIABETES for more information about the rights of children with diabetes and/or to receive assistance.

CJ

Posted to School and Daycare

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

Last Updated: Tuesday March 14, 2017 14:46:54

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.