Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.
- Should we be dosing for the antibiotic our daughter is taking for a sinus infection? Her blood sugar has been elevated despite adjusting her insulin to carbohydrate ratio. (26 Mar 2017)
- My daughter's school keeps marking her absences "unexcused" when she is out ill or is sent home with high blood sugars. Are they allowed to do this? (14 Mar 2017)
- I have one daughter with type 1 and one with JIA and Ehler-Danlos. I have PCOS and their father has hemochromatosis. Should I have my second daughter's GAD tested? Is she at higher risk for type 1 diabetes? (14 Mar 2017)
- I've had type 1 for 19 years. I have developed posterior subcapsular cataract in both eyes. How long until this affects my vision? Are the results of cataract surgery for people with diabetes generally favorable in the absence of diabetic retinopathy? (14 Mar 2017)
- My grandson had a seizure in the middle of the night that scared us all. How do we prevent this from happening again? I cannot sleep, fear a repeat incident. (14 Mar 2017)
- Just diagnosed, my teen daughter's blood work indicated high GAD, extremely high Anti-thyroid Peroxidase AB and high Thyroglobulin. Are these related to type 1 or some other disease? (15 Feb 2017)
- After unusual consumption of water, I took my daughter to the doctor. Her urine was positive for glucose, but her A1c was fine. She is scheduled to be re-checked in June. Should I be concerned or just wait until then? (15 Feb 2017)
- At the hospital, my young daughter's blood sugar was 11 mmol/L [200 mg/dl] with 0.5 ketones. The nurse was not concerned about diabetes, but I am. Can dehydration cause a high blood glucose with ketones? (10 Jan 2017)
- Are there any heart tests or scans that can be done to detect the presence of plaque or hardened arteries, in neck or heart? (9 Jan 2017)
- I know a young girl who experiences radical absorption differences between infusion sites with her Omnipod. Have you experienced this? (9 Jan 2017)
- For someone with type 1, what are the consequences of drinking regular Coca Cola? Is it better to have it with a healthy food? (6 Jan 2017)
- Where can I find a new NovoPen Junior? (22 Nov 2016)
- Is it okay for a child to get Lantus only, as long as she is eating healthy and maintaining good blood sugar control? Does she need Actrapid for meals? She was diagnosed six years ago. (22 Nov 2016)
- Should my son, diagnosed two years ago, be getting any routine laboratory work? (19 Nov 2016)
- My toddler, whose father has diabetes, has intermittent high blood sugars, but blood work for diabetes was negative. Should I continue to monitor him? (15 Nov 2016)
- My daughter has intermittent high blood sugars, with symptoms, yet had no antibodies, and an acceptable A1c. Can type 1 develop slowly? The doctor has not yet diagnosed type 1, is unsure what is going on. Should we get a second opinion from a different endocrinologist? (5 Oct 2016)
- Just diagnosed, my adult son takes insulin for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but what should he do for evening/dinner insulin if he has a late breakfast and lunch, skips dinner? (21 Sep 2016)
- If a Lantus injection were injected directly into a vein, could the Lantus start working immediately and cause a person to go low? (1 Sep 2016)
- Working in a pizza place, our teen son is not hungry after work and is having overnight lows. Should he find a different job? (25 Aug 2016)
- My daughter had elevated blood sugars when at the ER three times for kidney infections, but testing was negative. Could she be in the early stages of type 1? (18 Jul 2016)
- My wife believes that type 1 "goes sideways" genetically, that because her siblings have it, she is a carrier of the disease. Is this correct? (4 Jun 2016)
- My nephew's blood sugar drops very low for a couple of days, then goes up, so he needs insulin. Tests have not explained why he has this repeating pattern. What are your thoughts? (5 May 2016)
- My daughter's C-peptide has gone up since diagnosis and she was negative for antibodies. Could she have type 2 or MODY? (19 Apr 2016)
- Diagnosed last August, my son was negative for antibodies, is now off all insulin. Can you tell me your thoughts about the doctor's recent recommendations? (12 Apr 2016)
- Tests indicate my son has MODY 5. He has been on Humalog, is supposed to start on Lantus. What is the treatment for MODY 5? It seems very few people know. (20 Mar 2016)
- When diagnosed with type B flu, my daughter's blood sugar was elevated. She got one shot of long acting insulin, but has not been very high since. Could that one injection cause her to start her honeymoon? Was the high blood sugar a one time event caused by the flu virus? (16 Mar 2016)
- For my son's Omnipod, what duration of insulin action (DIA) do you recommend? (14 Mar 2016)
- Diagnosed last August, my daughter now has low grade fevers, aches, and fatigue. Tests for Lyme, mononucleosis, celiac and thyroid issues were negative. What is your opinion? (14 Mar 2016)
- My daughter is on MDI, a CGM. She gets morning Lantus, is sometimes high when school ends in the early afternoon. Should I be doing more? Should we try to get a pump? We are in Curacao, have limited access to a doctor. (25 Feb 2016)
- My teen grandson refuses to take of his diabetes, has been hospitalized frequently, usually in DKA. What can we do to help him? (25 Feb 2016)
How to Submit a QuestionUse the Question Submission Form to submit a question to the Diabetes Team.
If you want information about an individual situation, please include the age of the child or teenager, or if an adult, whether the person is a young adult, middleager, or senior citizen. Also, indicate the type of diabetes (Type 1 or 2) and let us know about how long the diabetes has been diagnosed.
A valid e-mail address must be included with your question. We cannot answer questions submitted without an e-mail address. If you want other readers to be able to send you e-mail about your question, let us know and we'll include your email address in the answer.
Remember, answers given will be answered in general terms for the benefit of all our readers, and therefore may not specifically give medical information that will directly apply to your situation (See our Disclaimer).
Before you submit your question, please check the index of previous questions to see if we've already answered your question.
Questions may be edited for space and clarity.
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)
And Our Occasional Experts
Last Updated: Sunday March 26, 2017 19:19:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.