Diabetes News in the Popular Press from 2013
25 December 2013
- D.C. native Katelyn Prominski’s ballet training has helped her move past daunting obstacles.
- Family works to get handle on youth’s Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetes diagnosis no reason not to enjoy Christmas says teen.
- Early gift brings quality of life for diabetes patient.
18 December 2013
- OPINION: Type 1 diabetes very different to type 2.
- North grads organize run to fight diabetes.
- Trusts criticised over 'poor' childhood diabetes control.
11 December 2013
- Country music icon talks about living with diabetes.
- Diabetic teen completes 30km challenge around World Islands.
4 December 2013
- Sky is the limit for Toronto professor with Type 1 diabetes. See also Canadian with diabetes scales Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- Tributes paid to an ‘inspirational’ great-grandad.
- A New Life With Type 1 Diabetes: Jada’s Story.
- Whittier College women’s basketball team supports captain with diabetes.
- 66 year old St Helens woman receives a medal from Diabetes UK.
- 8-year-old saves father's life; dad: 'I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her'.
- Diabetes doesn't have to control patients' lives.
- High school hockey preview: Malone goalie Brown plays with diabetes.
- Bay State cyclist takes her grief on road, raises funds.
27 November 2013
- Diabetes development: Baby food & Type 1 Diabetes.
- Good Samaritan rushes to help woman with diabetic emergency.
- Marshall elementary student backed by peers.
- Student raises diabetes awareness.
- Diabetes Center patrons reach for the Brass Ring.
- Mother of 2 children with diabetes raises funds for research.
- Young Girl Meets Challenges Of Living With Type One Diabetes.
20 November 2013
- Sir Frederick Banting and the use of insulin to treat Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetic earns solo pilot's license 35 years after learning to fly.
- Rockford man living with diabetes for 50 years shares treatment changes.
- Children’s National helps a Bethesda boy deal with his Type 1 diabetes.
- Otis biker has ridden thousands of miles to fight Type 1 diabetes.
- Gamecocks kicker Elliott Fry won’t let Type I diabetes slow him down.
- Keira, 8, is inspiration for diabetes aid event in Shrewsbury.
- Having a Healthy Pregnancy With Type 1 Diabetes.
- World Diabetes Atlas shows sudden rise in the disease has potential to 'bankrupt Australian health system' discusses type 1 diabetes in Australia.
- Utah documentary ‘Sugar Babies’ shown for World Diabetes Day.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Raises $120M in Bigger-Than-Expected IPO.
13 November 2013
- Bioengineered mini-organ mimics healthy pancreas.
- Sanford Research Gets Closer To Diabetes Cure.
- IndyCar's Charlie Kimball: What World Diabetes Day Means to Me.
- World Diabetes Day: Seeing my son with diabetes is heartbreaking, I'd take it from him if I could.
- Be aware of type 1 diabetes symptoms in children.
- Barbara Davis Center for Diabetes making strides on type 1.
- Lufkin 1st grader refuses to be defined by diabetes, leads fundraising campaign.
- Type 1 Diabetes Challenge Was A Real Eye Opener.
- My Name Is Liddy, and I'm a Type 1 Diabetic.
6 November 2013
- Possible cause of juvenile diabetes found in Italy.
- Va. girl among first teens to test artificial pancreas.
- Diabetes Cold Nighttime Sweat Seen Ended With Artificial Pancreas.
- Cells offer hope for Type 1 diabetes.
- Kathleen's 60 years of living with diabetes.
- Dear Parents of a Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic.
- Deerfield family seeks type 1 diabetes cure.
- Lititz Man starts organization to help those with diabetes.
- Mystrom memoir shares story of living with diabetes.
- Mackenzie Douthit: I’m Risking My Life For My Second Baby.
30 October 2013
- Type 1 diabetes knowledge could save a life – your child's!
- Scientists Report Transplant Advance for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Kids with diabetes enjoy Halloween too.
- 4 Ways to Enjoy Holidays When You Have Diet Restrictions (type 1 diabetes and celiac).
- Noninjectable Insulin Developers Make Progress.
- Enid Family Uses Diabetic Alert Dog To Monitor Young Daughter.
23 October 2013
- Meet Karmel Allison, The Woman Who Fainted Behind President Obama.
- Diabetes, Sotomayor's Parents and the Memory of the Heart.
- El Paso teen shows others with diabetes they can live normal, active lives.
- Twins battling diabetes together.
- With quick thinking by Mom and help from his entire family, 8-year-old Jerin Smith learns to live with juvenile diabetes — like any other boy.
- Care boost for children with diabetes.
- Peggy given a medal for her diabetes work.
15 October 2013
- Coping with type 1 diabetes.
- Oregon diabetic refused insulin, civilly committed.
- PureTech Ventures, JDRF Team Up to Form Type 1 Diabetes Startup Creator.
9 October 2013
- Sleepover Advice for Kids Coping With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Teen living with diabetes hopes to inspire others.
- Type 1 Diabetic marks one year as a firefighter.
- Two families push for attitude change toward a life threatening disease.
- Diabetes service dog not properly trained, dissatisfied in Virginia-based company. See also An Eighteen Thousand Dollar Journey of Hope, Puppies and "In Spite Of" and How to Punish Children and Puppies, While Making Money.
2 October 2013
- Type Miscast: An Elmhurst Doctor's Type 2 Diabetes Misdiagnosis Results in the Death of a Six-Year-Old Girl.
- Sleepover Advice for Kids Coping With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Sugar Fix: A diabetic child spurs ENG prof’s race for a bionic pancreas.
- Special teddy bear could help kids cope with diabetes.
- Jackson pair doesn't let diabetes keep them off field.
- NASCAR driver drives to stop diabetes.
- More Eugene students with Type 1 diabetes.
25 September 2013
- Kelly Close: State Of Diabetes Treatment, Companies In The Sector And Challenges Patients Face.
- Managing diabetes: Your child's first sleepover.
- Diabetics Hold Their Breath for Inhalable Insulin.
18 September 2013
- Diabetic Children Test Bionic Pancreas At Mass. Camp.
- Seattle Children's helping families manage Type 1 diabetes.
- School's nurse staffing keeps diabetic student out of class.
- Madison Clinic Helps Young Diabetes Patients Manage Their Own Care.
- Type 1 Diabetes: Challenge for Kids and Adults Awaiting a Cure.
- Sailing with Diabetes.
- Fifth-grader with Type 1 diabetes has support system.
- 'I won't let diabetes stop my music career'.
- Diabetes expert Dr. Louis Philipson stresses importance of accurate diagnosis.
- Madyson Siragusa, 11-Year-Old With Diabetes, Denied Permission To Have Service Dog In School.
4 September 2013
- Beverly Hills boy braves Type 1 diabetes.
- The Long Run: Type-1 diabetic aims to complete first full marathon.
- Facebook is Not Evil Proves People with Diabetes .
- Dogs train to sniff out trouble for diabetics.
- More diabetics buying dogs that sniff out low blood sugar.
- Oregon Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Manslaughter In Daughter's Death From Diabetes.
28 August 2013
- New Reverse Vaccine Brings Hope as a Possible Type 1 Diabetes Treatment.
- Parents: Store policy discriminates against diabetics.
- Brantford native climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- Center stage in diabetes battle.
- Diabetes awareness mission takes flight.
- Roughrider and Type 1 diabetic John Chick lives his football dream.
21 August 2013
- Insulin pumps 'better than injections' for type 1 diabetes.
- Insulin pumps 'give back life'.
- Living with diabetes.
14 August 2013
- Five Year Old Diabetic Takes on Congress.
- Young Diabetes Patients Form Bonds At ‘Camp Colorado’.
- Local youth promotes diabetes awareness.
- Students With Diabetes program boosted confidence, improved HbA1c in young adults.
7 August 2013
- Threat to diabetes sufferers as NHS rations testing strips to save money.
- Young mum from Caversham died from diabetes.
- Kimball delivers message with victory at Mid-Ohio.
- Finn goes to Washington: Cohasset boy represents state at Children's Congress.
- Quest to find a cure for daughter’s diabetes leads Barbara Weisman of Pelham into athletic challenges.
- Teenager works for Type I diabetes cure.
- Diabetic mother died due to her low blood sugar.
- Miss England finalist, 19, almost fell into a diabetic coma and died after her faulty insulin pump stopped working.
- Evie looks on bright side despite her life-changing condition.
31 July 2013
- Be sensitive when talking with parent of a Type 1 diabetic.
- New technology could mean a new life for children with type 1 diabetes.
- Artificial pancreas for type 1 diabetes patients: an interview with John Pritchard, Cambridge Consultants.
- Pumps add 'quality of life'.
- Diabetes in the teen years.
- Navajo girl with diabetes meets with lawmakers in D.C.
- This camp has canoeing, sports, blood sugar checks.
- NFL Player Reaches Out to Inspire, Empower Young Type 1.
- My shocking illness: Home Secretary Theresa May reveals she has Type 1 diabetes and needs daily injections... but vows to continue her political career.
- Transplants from pigs may help diabetics.
24 July 2013
- FDA cracks down on illegal diabetes remedies.
- How to interface a Dexcom Diabetes Monitor to your Home Automation System.
- Pro football player helps boy with diabetes live his dreams.
- Diabetes Camp: 'It's a lot of fun and you're not the only one'.
- New Mexico woman having diabetes attack roughed up by deputies.
17 July 2013
- Timing of first solid food influences diabetes risk.
- Kids learn about diabetes at camp while having fun.
- Twins and sister to be face of national campaign by Diabetes Australia.
- INDYCAR: Kimball not letting diabetes slow him down.
- Oxford teen joins Juvenile Diabetes delegation, Idol winner in D.C.
- Ketoacidosis rates remain troubling in juvenile type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetics outraged over quality of testing meters.
3 July 2013
- Type 1 diabetes vaccine shows promise in early study: researchers.
- In the Spotlight: Time for a Sleepover.
- Sonia Sotomayor: Her Life With Diabetes.
- Pharmacies unwilling to take loss on insulin for Medicare patients.
- Curing type 1 diabetes: an interview with Dr. Habib Zaghouani, MU School of Medicine.
- Idaho’s only delegate for Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes heads to Washington DC.
- Amina's Pas de Deux With Type 1.
- Madeline Kara Neumann Prayer Death: Conviction Upheld For Parents Who Only Prayed For Sick Daughter.
26 June 2013
- ADA: Intensive Tx Yields Long-Term Gain in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Progress made on artificial pancreas, researchers tell diabetes conference in Chicago.
- Artificial pancreas effective in study, could one day help diabetics.
- Three continuous glucose monitoring devices highly reliable.
- Medtronic, J&J gains put diabetics nearer to artificial pancreas.
- Clinical trial participation: Why mom with diabetic daughter enrolled in USF study.
- Dover teen living with juvenile diabetes wants to help others cope with the disease.
- A Deadly Form of Diabetes Doctors Sometimes Miss.
- Artificial pancreas tells your tablet when you need insulin.
- ADA: New Type 2 Drug May Work in Type 1 Diabetes.
19 June 2013
- Accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters Draws Scrutiny.
- Diabetes has been a part of my daughter’s life for a quarter-century.
- Tulsa 6th Grader To Talk To U.S. Congress About Type 1 Diabetes.
- Fifty years living with diabetes.
- Diabetes diagnosis came as shock to mum.
- Diabetes hasn’t slowed Alouettes’ Scott Paxson.
- Teenage health campaigner’s message to Parliament.
- 5-year-old finds mom unconscious calls 911.
- Silencing immune attacks in type 1 diabetes.
- Is a Type 1 Diabetes Cure Right Around the Corner?
12 June 2013
- Chesterfield parents worried school unable to care for diabetic children. See also Parents concerned school unable to care for diabetic children.
- 5 Dads on Raising Kids With Diabetes.
- Genetic studies lead to clinical trial of new treatment for type 1 diabetes.
- Huron County's JDRF ambassador teaches SPS classmates about juvenile diabetes.
- UGA’s veterinary hospital offers take-home glucose monitors for diabetic pets.
- Got diabetes? There's an app for that. See also Nationwide Children’s Hospital Develops First Pediatric-Focused Diabetes Calculator.
5 June 2013
- Another solid finish lands Charlie Kimball into top 10 in IndyCar standings.
- Diabetes team fights the good fight in bike race.
- Diabetes can't slow Marder.
29 May 2013
- Fayetteville man recognized for living more than 80 years with type 1 diabetes.
- UNC scientist turns to tiny particles to treat diabetes.
- Shock diagnosis changed teen's life.
- CFISD elementary student with diabetes named finalist in national competition.
22 May 2013
- Peoria student represents Arizona at D.C. session on diabetes research.
- How to Manage Type 1 Diabetes As You Age.
- Diabetes service dog saves the day and night for Fort Worth teen.
- NFL Patriots release Kyle Love after diabetes diagnosis.
8 May 2013
- Brenda Novak kicks off her Online Auction for Diabetes Research.
- Diabetes won’t slow Indy 500 driver.
- Miss America offers tips for fighting diabetes.
1 May 2013
- Chris Jarvis defied the odds in becoming an rower.
- Commentary: Diabetes couldn't block CdM grad from Olympic gold.
- ‘Diabulimia’ is a life-threatening disorder for some teens.
- Juvenile diabetes diagnosis life-changing for Middletown family.
24 April 2013
- Right to insulin is human right: Sir Hirst.
- Former Stroud AC husband and wife team at the London Marathon.
- Living with Type 1 diabetes, local mom finds support through Diabetes Sisters.
- Scholastic Superstar: Meet Maria Capitano.
- Family's heartbreak after diabetic 29-year-old who planned to run the London Marathon dies from 'dead in bed' syndrome.
17 April 2013
- Local biotech entrepreneur showcasing developing diabetes therapy at D.C. conference is about Sensulin LLC, which is developing a "smart" insulin that releases in response to glucose concentrations.
- Service dog helps Monarch Academy teacher monitor her diabetes.
- Conacher overcomes diabetes to reach NHL.
- Family health: Normal, active life can be lead with type 1 diabetes.
10 April 2013
- Living with Type 1: A Family Story.
- Franchitti, Kimball and other Indy drivers join in the "Race with Insulin" cause .
- Diabetic Alert Dog Helps West Seneca Girl.
- Donations help Easton family afford medical assistance dog for 2-year-old diabetic son.
- Special Puppy Monitors Toddler's Blood Sugar.
- Dog Alerts Diabetic Boy When Blood Sugar Needs Testing.
- Standard of diabetes care leaves a lot to be desired in Ireland.
3 April 2013
- The Diabetic's Paradox.
- BioHub offers new hope to diabetes sufferers.
- Jay’s message could be diabetes life-saver.
27 March 2013
- Visionaries: One Harvard Scientist’s Quest To Find A Cure For His Kids.
- Student connecting diabetic teens.
- Woman with diabetes reaches out to kids.
- A Rookie Unheralded, Undrafted and Unfazed.
- Port Moody mom with diabetic daughter fearful over nursing support as her child starts kindergarten.
- Peasedown St John family back call over diabetes care for children.
- Young Diabetics Are Slimming Themselves to Death.
- Kimball in a race to conquer diabetes.
20 March 2013
- New type of adult diabetes is on the rise.
- Raleigh girl outruns diabetes.
- Sansum Diabetes Research Institute Appoints Rem Laan as Executive Director.
- Mom Sentenced To 16 Years For Neglecting Diabetic Child.
13 March 2013
- Could Pig Worms Lead to the Cure for Type 1?
- More children are being diagnosed with diabetes at Northampton General Hospital.
- Hingham woman leads diabetes fight.
- Diabulimia: The Dangerous Way Diabetics Drop Pounds.
- Registration open, scholarships available at Kansas diabetes camps.
6 March 2013
- Northwestern's Gisler doesn't let diabetes keep him off the court.
- My Life Partner Has Diabetes.
- The Conversation: Can stem cell treatment cure type 1 diabetes?
- Kosair Children's Hospital to open diabetes center with $5 million gift.
- Mini-Organ Would Mimic Pancreas to Treat Type 1 Diabetes.
27 February 2013
- Volunteer from Capital High wins national award.
- Ski event raises money for diabetes.
- How much do you know about diabetes? Let a 9-year-old Manlius boy fill you in.
- Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
20 February 2013
- Families living with type 1 diabetes.
- Utah mom helps kids understand type 1 diabetes.
- Connected in Motion: Creating Community for People with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Brianna out to get jump on diabetes.
13 February 2013
- Test strip supply linked to better diabetes care.
- Type 1 Diabetic Ryan Reed to run at least five Nationwide Series races.
6 February 2013
- Diabetes researcher’s goal: Make insulin-producing cells in lab.
- Parents upset over 'diabetes discrimination'.
- Attorney shares her struggle with diabetes in new book.
- Kids learn to deal with diabetes at summer camp.
30 January 2013
- Sebastien Sasseville Conquers Mountain and Desert.
- Girl, 9, Saves Mom From Diabetic Attack While Driving.
- Education crucial for type 1 diabetes patients.
- Pig cell trial improves diabetic man's sight.
- Diabetes doesn’t get him down.
23 January 2013
- In the Thick of Diabetes Advocacy with Alan Thicke.
- Education crucial for type 1 diabetes patients.
- Rise of the diabulemics: The diabetic women jeopardising their health by skipping insulin jabs to prevent weight gain.
- New hope for a Type 1 diabetes cure.
- Special Report: Diabetes Discrimination.
- Court battle over $20,000 dog will stay in Beaumont.
16 January 2013
- Sotomayor tells life story shaped by disease, overcoming adversity. See also her 60 Minutes Interview from January 13, 2013 and her interview on NPR from January 14, 2013.
- Basketball Camp for Kids with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes not stopping Lamar's Webb.
- Double Diabetes = Double Trouble!
- Calls for diabulimia to be recognised, say medics.
- Callison: Family strives for balance after diabetes diagnosis.
- UCSD breaks ground on medical research facility and diabetes center in La Jolla.
9 January 2013
- Walter and Eliza Hall Institute researchers solve insulin mystery.
- Living with type 1 diabetes.
- Quick-thinking daughter, 6, saves diabetic father's life by feeding him jelly babies after realising he was about to fall into coma.
- Our World: Service dog sniffs out girl's diabetes.
- Diabetes service dog saves man's life.
- Outside the Game: Jay Cutler inspires others with Type 1 Diabetes.
2 January 2013
- Longest surviving type 1 diabetes sufferer tells her story.
- UK has world's fifth-highest rate of children with type 1 diabetes. See also UK fifth highest in world for child type 1 diabetes.
Current Diabetes News in the Popular Press |
Last Updated: Tuesday January 12, 2016 15:22:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.