Diabetes News in the Popular Press from 2014
31 December 2014
- How Drug Combination Helps Control Type 1 Diabetes.
- Number of Type 1 diabetes cases growing.
- Sugar levels may slow brain growth in children with Type 1 diabetes.
24 December 2014
- Open source and the cloud: Changing the lives of people with Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetes Patients Are Hacking Their Way Toward a Bionic Pancreas.
- Diabetics told to check glucose before driving.
- Faith-healing couple sentenced to 10 years in diabetic daughter's death.
17 December 2014
- Jay Cutler is the Chicago Bears nominee for the Walter Payton NFL Man Of The Year Award.
- CU-Boulder student group working to educate campus about Type 1 diabetes.
- Stanford soccer star handles diabetes, faces decision to join Sounders.
- Girl Scout awarded for helping children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Dispelling the misconceptions and confusion surrounding diabetes.
- Texas County Constable Saves Life Of Veteran In Diabetic Coma.
10 December 2014
- 50 Years Later — Beating The Type 1 Diabetes Prognosis.
- Quick-thinking Lucas, 4, saves life of diabetic Plymouth mum.
- Mother finds unique, savvy way to monitor son's Type 1 diabetes.
- KORN Singer Jonathan Davis Discusses His Son's Battle With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Mifflinburg teen overcomes Type-I diabetes.
- Research at UVa Medical Center could change life for Type 1 diabetics.
- BU student refuses to let diabetes hold her back.
- Mothers slam diabetes emergency injection policy.
3 December 2014
- A Roanoke County 9-year-old who lives with Type 1 diabetes.
- Tonbridge dads taking on Ironman to help children with diabetes.
- Medtronic Diabetes and Dexcom Rivalry To Heat Up.
26 November 2014
- Iron Man Joins The Fight Against Diabetes.
- Is a Bioengineered Organ Going to Lead to a Biological Diabetes Cure?
- UM's Diabetes Research Institute working toward cure of Type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes Increasing As Medical Teams Shrink.
- Thoughts on 'A Day in the Life of a Diabetic' from a journalist who's had plenty of them: opinion.
- Type 1 Diabetes is a 24/7 Responsibility - and We Get No Vacation Time From It.
- Johns Creek woman shares story of life after diabetes.
- Chislehurst mum backs new Diabetes UK care in school helpline.
- Type 1 diabetes hasn't slowed SC kicker.
- Harris' Heroes: Md. teen with type 1 diabetes fights for a cure.
- Diabetes Awareness Month: Certain eating disorder on the rise among type 1 diabetes patients.
- Living with type 1 diabetes: Cases rise, causes unclear.
- Pumps, glucose monitors keep Type 1 diabetes in check.
- Children with diabetes can learn from bear.
- At 88, Irene Cook is inspiring proof a full life and diabetes can co-exis.
- Dr. Donald F. Steiner, Diabetes Researcher, Dies at 84.
19 November 2014
- Runner with Type 1 diabetes completes cross-Canada trek to raise awareness. See also Sebastien Sasseville concludes cross-country trek to raise awareness for diabetes.
- Beta-O2 testing cure for type 1 diabetes.
- People with diabetes 'still denied vital prescriptions'. See also 700,000 diabetes sufferers put at risk by "appalling" NHS blood test cuts.
- Helping children live with diabetes.
- Freshman fights Type 1 Diabetes.
- Student lives life normally in spite of Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetic cheetah gives hope to sick kids.
12 November 2014
- Tonight's University Lecture: Creating a Bridge to a Cure for Diabetes. See also ENG Prof's Bionic Pancreas Takes a Big Step Forward.
- UAB research could be a breakthrough for diabetes treatment. See also In human clinical trial, UAB to test drug shown to completely reverse diabetes in human islets, mice.
- Woman's insulin use in fighting diabetes recognized.
- Diabetes UK launches new care in school helpline.
5 November 2014
- Usher teams up with Camp Kudzu for Atlanta charity event.
- Woman with Type 1 Diabetes Completes NYC Marathon, Raises Funds for Research.
- Miss Idaho gives Type 1 diabetics brave role model.
- Middle Georgia family raises childhood diabetes awareness.
- One wheel, many goals.
- Giant Coup For Diabetes UK Northern Ireland.
29 October 2014
- App allows local mom to monitor son's blood sugar levels.
- Alpha Epsilon Pi brothers bike outside house for diabetes fundraiser.
- MU student's death highlights difficulties of balancing Type 1 diabetes, college life.
22 October 2014
- NASCAR Driver Overcomes Diagnosis To Get Back Behind The Wheel.
- Out of the Ashes: Ashten Smith-Gooden hasn't let diabetes define her.
- Handsworth hitter Maya Bennett a study in perseverance, and an inspiration to her Royals.
- Local TD calls for reduction in waiting times for insulin pump therapy.
- Siblings share type 1 dilemma.
- Diabetes and Division I - Field Hockey's Sarah Keer is Inspiring by Example.
- Sen. Nybo now a member of legislative diabetes caucus: Nybo family to share their "touched by type 1" story soon.
- New EU Driving Rules for Type 1 Diabetes Could Spell Danger. (Free Medscape membership required.)
15 October 2014
- Sigh of relief: Tech gives PCSD parents peace of mind.
- When diabetes is your running buddy.
- 5 Uncommon Diabetes Diagnoses.
8 October 2014
- 'Bionic pancreas' opens up new possibilities to kids with Type 1 diabetes.
- Girl hopes for freedom at 11 with insulin pump.
- Stroudsburg woman's life-changing diagnosis.
- From Barcelona to The Alps, Powered By Insulin | The Glucose Project.
- Collins' checklist includes managing Crusaders' offense, juvenile diabetes.
- Coon battles opponents, type 1 diabetes.
- Lana Chestang is Mobile's first Red Strider youth ambassador.
1 October 2014
- Girl tests bionic pancreas.
- Hudson college student's blog makes life sweeter for others with diabetes.
- Citizen Hackers Modify Diabetes Device.
24 September 2014
- When the Biomedical Industry Can't Prioritize Diseases, Private Money Can Save Lives.
- Modern Life Without a Pancreas.
- Living With Type 1 Diabetes -- a Forgotten Disease.
- Brandon Roux, son fight Type 1 diabetes together.
- Teaching through high-tech teddy bears: a chat with inventor Aaron Horovitz.
- A 12-year-old girl with diabetes is taking on 410km bike ride in Taiwan.
- Southern Owls lineman won't let diabetes hold him back.
- Farnworth mum: 'Kearsley West Primary School is struggling to supervise my daughter's diabetes'.
17 September 2014
- Bionic Pancreas: A Father's Mission To Fight Type 1 Diabetes.
- Kids with Type 1 diabetes get a taste of normal life with 'bionic pancreas'.
- Amesbury brothers try out bionic pancrea.
- Researchers test "bionic pancreas" at camp for diabetic kids.
- Artificial pancreas: the future is now.
- If You Meet Someone With Type 1 Diabetes, This Is What You Should Know.
- Diabetes doesn't slow down UCLA student.
10 September 2014
- The all-diabetic pro cycling team in the Tour of Britain. See also Unique diabetic team to ride final Bristol leg of tour of Britain.
- Triathlete inspires children with type 1 diabetes.
- Four-Time Olympian Kris Freeman Balances Type 1 Diabetes with Olympic Dreams.
- Hiding nothing: Diabetic lingerie model Amanda Kuc poses with insulin pump.
- Diabetes doesn't slow down Ben Davis quarterback Kyle Castner.
- Ben Davis QB, diabetic Kyle Castner emerging as role model for both on-field, off-field exploits.
- Breastfeeding my Type 1 Diabetic Baby.
- Pharmaceutical company ends type 1 diabetes drug program.
3 September 2014
- Diabetes trials hailed a potential cure.
- Artificial pancreas could change diabetics' lives.
- The Netherlands triumphs at international football tournament for children using insulin pumps.
- Cardiff Half Marathon challenge for Rachel.
- Diabetic Pune teen conquers Macchu Picchu.
27 August 2014
- Targeting 'diabetes distress,' depression with more screenings.
- Jerry the Bear can help kids manage type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetes hero receives award from PM.
- Hudson boy is ambassador for Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes.
- Bupa Great Birmingham Run: Lyndsay takes on 13-miler despite diabetes.
- Living with Type 1 diabetes: A dancer's story.
- NZ scientists in diabetes breakthrough.
- A glucose meter of a different color provides continuous monitoring.
20 August 2014
- Diabetic teen kicked out of Delsea Drive-In for candy contraband.
- Diabetes Cycling Team Prepares for USA Pro Challenge.
- Keeping tabs on Type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes Not Just For The Young Anymore.
- IndyCar's Kimball teams with NBA great Wilkins, promote diabetes awareness at Milwaukee Mile.
- Cameron award for 'amazing' diabetes campaigning mum.
- Challenges of Type 1 diabetes can't keep Calgary's.
- Young Josh picked to represent UK.
- New mum who blamed tiredness and weight loss on the demands of motherhood dies from undiagnosed diabetes aged 26.
13 August 2014
- Moms With Type 1 Kids Losing Sleep.
- Jerry the Bear Using Bitcoin to Help Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Sanofi wins right to market MannKind's inhaled insulin drug Afrezza.
- Family: Girl's Bionic Pancreas Trial Saving Lives.
6 August 2014
- Ravenna teen won't let diabetes put brakes on future plans.
- Diabetes no obstacle for Team Novo Nordisk.
- Balancing Type 1 diabetes with busy middle-school life.
- Family adapting after one twin daughter diagnosed with juvenile diabetes.
- Local student with diabetes to be honored at stock car race.
- Learning to be active with diabetes.
- Surrey diabetic pupil to get medical help at school.
30 July 2014
- Miss Idaho Sierra Sandison Shows Us Her Insulin Pump.
- Hockey for kids with diabetes.
- Coeur d'Alene boy raises thousands for Type 1 Diabetes foundation.
23 July 2014
- Newly Crowned Miss Idaho Wears Her Insulin Pump With Pride. See also Hey, Miss Idaho, Is That An Insulin Pump On Your Bikini?
- 'Bionic Pancreas' Astonishes Diabetes Researchers.
- School praised for supporting diabetic pupil.
- Mom on a Mission Creates New Glucose Powder.
16 July 2014
- Diabetes hasn't slowed Ryan Reed's drive for NASCAR excellence.
- Shelburne golfer aims to send diabetic youth to camp.
- CMN hero with diabetes wants to be a doc to help other.
- Researchers invent nanotech microchip to diagnose type-1 diabetes.
- This crowd-funding campaign would give every diabetic child a high-tech teddy bear.
9 July 2014
- Olympic skier Kris Freeman tells kids with diabetes to 'never give up' at Camp Red Jacket.
- Diabetes won't dash his dreams.
- LFAC DKA Awareness Campaign Launched in Ecuador.
- Families say diabetic alert dogs bought from Va. nonprofit don't perform as advertised.
- Living With a Diabetic Dog.
- Province to offset costs of insulin pumps for children.
- A Diabetes Hoarder Story.
25 June 2014
- Apple, Google, Samsung to take on diabetes with wearables -- report.
- Mayor talks about her life with diabetes.
- Most patients with type 1 diabetes do not download, review glucose data.
- How diabetes and injury failed to stop Plymouth Commonwealth Games medalist Katherine Endacott.
- University of Alabama Catcher and Type I Diabetic, Molly Fichtner.
18 June 2014
- Artificial Pancreas Shows Promise in Diabetes Test.
- Father Devises A 'Bionic Pancreas' To Help Son With Diabetes.
- Bionic pancreas helps control diabetes, study says.
- 'Bionic Pancreas' Astonishes Diabetes Researchers.
- Bionic pancreas frees people from shackles of diabetes.
- Latest artificial pancreas projects show promise for the future of type 1 diabetes treatment.
- Why the words 'I forgot' from doctor will haunt father of tragic toddler.
11 June 2014
- Diabetes researcher leaving UPMC for Allegheny Health Network institute.
- Brave Elland tot Phoebe Malbon battles Type 1 diabetes with FIVE injections every day.
- London boy builds a better book on diabetes for kids.
4 June 2014
- The T1D Exchange Spurs Research.
- Burlington NHLer Cory Conacher hosting golf tournament to fight type 1 diabetes.
- Shannon Allen Tries To Throw Diabetes A CURVE.
- Hope Foundation Scholarship recipient doesn’t let diabetes get her down.
- Cyclist rides to root out undiagnosed diabetes.
- Mel Stephenson: 'Being diagnosed with diabetes at 14 isn’t going to hold me back'.
- RSPCA rescue cat saves diabetic 8-year-old girl's life THREE TIMES.
- Pumps that could transform lives of diabetics lying in storage since 2011.
- Resold diabetes strips cause health concerns.
- Boy, 11, arrested after 20 schoolchildren stabbed by needle.
28 May 2014
- Sleeping Without Fear.
- Charity says diabetes patients in NI denied equipment.
21 May 2014
- People With Chronic Illness Fare Worse Under Cost-Sharing.
- Ealing diabetes sufferer to tackle Kilimanjaro.
14 May 2014
- Many Type 1 diabetics living with disease 50-plus years, study seeks to know why.
- Kris Freeman: Four-Time Olympic Athlete and Type I Diabetic.
- Dalby ironwoman Jane achieves Australian first.
- Diabetes can't stop Harriton defender.
- Hospital's Insulin Pen Misuse Leads to Testing of 4,200 Patients.
7 May 2014
- Advances in diabetes testing technology improve patient care.
- At-Home Overnight Artificial Pancreas Trial Reveals Health and Lifestyle Benefits for Adolescents.
- Youngster plays piano for diabetes research.
- A Diabetes Tale of Survival and Triumph.
- Stouffville diabetic sharing discovery of tax help.
- Toronto Blue Jays' Dustin McGowan has longest start since 2008 in win over Pittsburgh Pirates.
30 April 2014
- Riding the globe: Whitefish man becomes first person with diabetes to backcountry snowboard on all 7 continents.
- Life With Diabetes: Baseball's Cory Vaughn.
- Diabetes is not as simple as it appears.
- Northwood pair overcome diabetes to compete.
- Discovering Diabetes.
- A memorable last Spring Fling for Lucas family.
- MacArthur: Diabetes contributing to McGowan's fatigue.
23 April 2014
- Usher’s son battling diabetes.
- Inspired by his little brother, BYU outfielder Kelton Caldwell doesn't let diabetes slow him down.
- Vaughn fights off diabetes while chasing his dream.
- Family learns how to deal with diabetes.
- Maria Menounos Gets Emotional Over Dad's Disease.
- Roche’s diabetes biz bounces back—for now.
16 April 2014
- An Uproar Over a Diabetes Article, With a Back Story.
- Does Your Toddler Have Type 1 Diabetes?
- Grand Prix: Charlie Kimball makes new fans at Miller Children’s Hospital.
- Grand Prix driver tames diabetes along with road courses.
- Lakewood Ranch Cinemas apologizes after taking supplies from diabetic. See also Manatee theater apologizes for taking supplies from diabetic teen.
- Toddler's Brave Battle With Diabetes.
- "First Family of Bowling" aims to strike out diabetes.
- Parent Traps: Helping your teen adjust to life with Type 1 diabetes.
9 April 2014
- Continuous glucose monitoring in children: an interview with Terrance Gregg, CEO of Dexcom.
- Sansum Diabetes Research Institute Honors Retiring Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Lois Jovanovic.
- Morecambe boy’s brush with death after diabetes blunder.
- Diabetic cadet hopes to sue Ministry of Defence over army rules.
- Artificial pancreas crowned British invention of the year. See also DMU's artificial pancreas wins its creators Inventor of the Year award.
- Diabetic entrepreneur sells to growing population.
2 April 2014
- Rotavirus can speed up diabetes onset.
- Athlete with diabetes encourages Truro children to overcome obstacles.
- Ryan Reed's Race Against Diabetes.
- Teens with Type 1 diabetes share experiences in group run by UB medical students.
- Paul Sullivan of Mundelein prepares to run the London Marathon for Type 1 diabetes charity.
- Sister of 11-year-old with diabetes raises $110K for research.
- One student’s race to cure diabetes.
- IndyCar driver highlights Children’s Hospital’s Diabetes Fair.
- No more needles: Startup tests implant that can measure blood sugar for up to a year.
- App, doctor pep talks lower diabetes patients' blood sugar.
- Theater calls cops on diabetic man for bringing in strawberries. See also Diabetic Moviegoer: Theater Called Cops When I Refused to Throw Out Strawberries.
27 March 2014
- Run to raise diabetes awareness reaches Halifax.
- Chesterfield parent says diabetic students are 'still in danger'.
- Keeping it under control.
- Riding seven continents.
- Competitive run offers support for children’s diabetes.
- Every carb counts in managing diabetes.
- Youngster lobbies MPs on diabetes.
- Diabetic boy from Wilcot in Parliament.
19 March 2014
- Artificial pancreas trials move forward with $2.3M grant.
- Young diabetes sufferers pumped by new decision.
- Teachers and aides under the pump to give medication to young students with special health needs.
- Tackling diabetes is child's play for brave Hull schoolboy Riley Innes who injects himself four times a day.
- JJC Baseball Team Hosts ‘Strike Out for Diabetes’ Fundraiser to Support 10-Year-Old Boy.
- Bret Michaels reaches out to diabetic young people before show.
- Youngster visits Parliament to discuss illness.
- Este Haim, Bassist of Haim, Discusses Living with Type 1 Diabetes. See also HAIM - "The Wire" (OFFICIAL VIDEO).
12 March 2014
- A Half Century with T1: Four Profiles in Courage.
- Type 1 diabetes on rise in Phila.'s youngest.
- Arlington girl, 11, fighting diabetes and misconceptions of disease.
- The View Of Digital Health From An 'Engaged Patient'.
- Niskayuna man recognized for living 75 years with diabetes.
- Riding with diabetes doesn’t slow Oregon cyclist Michael Shelver.
- 85 years of service: Commitment to cause keeps Cosmos coming back.
- Boy diagnosed with diabetes inspires Kenilworth mum to run her first first half marathon.
- Sold-out gala raises $4.9 million for juvenile diabetes research.
- Managing type 1 diabetes and life as a magic circle partner.
- McKesson’s Build a Buddy Program Helps Kids With Diabetes Feel Less Alone.
- Diabetic man survives 18 days in outback by eating flies.
- L.I. Hospital: Reused Insulin Pen Part May Mean Hepatitis, HIV Risk For Patients.
5 March 2014
- Hughes helping in fight against juvenile diabetes.
- Group supports those affected by type 1 diabetes.
- Cheltenham parents delighted at the way daughter's school handles her diabetes.
- Reading University student to talk to MPs on diabetes.
- New hospital guidelines after diabetic teen’s death.
- FDA Backtracks Over GLP-1s' Effects on Pancreas.
26 February 2014
- Lady suspended from gym for having type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetes campaigners want Gloucestershire's views on support for children with the condition.
- Scarlett Parliament bound for diabetes campaign.
- NASCAR driver brings message of hope to others with diabetes.
19 February 2014
- Bionic pancreas redefines life for diabetic.
- Peasedown St John mother supports call for better school care for diabetic children.
- Diabetic PE teacher Chris Phillips from Charlestown to compete in triathalon for Diabetes UK.
- Birkie Fever: Skiing with type 1 diabetes.
12 February 2014
- 'Spare a Rose' campaign to help kids with diabetes.
- Coventry woman spares a rose to save a child.
- Kris Freeman on NBC Olympic Zone.
- Bionic pancreas could help fight diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes: A treatment's in sight but where's the funding?
- Researchers meet diabetics; Denny Sanford stops by.
- Dad of diabetes sufferer to help staff helpline.
- Good Samaritan braves the storm to find insulin for student.
- Girl, 5, saves her father's life by giving him an injection after he fell into diabetic coma.
5 February 2014
- Ray Allen and his family work to raise money to fight diabetes.
- Bionic pancreas could help fight diabetes.
- Diabetic runner launches 9-month journey across Canada.
- No limits on Bacchus Marsh teen’s life.
- Kicks and pricks.
29 January 2014
- Olympic Skier Kris Freeman Goes for Gold With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Illness fires entrepreneur's interest in synthetic biology.
- Rising hockey star Jordan DePape inspires diabetic kids.
- Joyce, former Ray Fuld holding area camps.
- MP battles for diabetics' aid.
- End of the diabetes jab? New insulin implant controls blood glucose levels without injections.
- Failings led to death of homeless teenager with type 1 diabetes.
22 January 2014
- Google contact lens could be option for diabetics. See also NewsFlash: Google Is Developing Glucose-Sensing Contact Lenses! and Google’s Diabetes Contacts Are Cool, but I’d Rather Just Have a Cure.
- Is there connection between Type 1 diabetes and cleanliness? Finland serves as a model.
- Six-Time Ironman and Type 1 Diabetes Athlete Sebastien Sasseville to Take on Solo 7500 km Run Across Canada.
- Diabetes Danger.
- Changing diabetic lifestyles one data entry at a time with mobile apps.
- Dexcom files for patent for smartphone-connected continuous glucose monitoring.
- Two Little Boys With Type-1 Diabetes Started An Adorable Long-Distance Friendship On Instagram.
- First Production 2015 Ford Mustang Raises $300,000 for Charity.
15 January 2014
- Notable Diabetes Advocates Join Diabetes Hands Foundation Board.
- Downhill for Diabetes born through love of slopes.
- Why do some people develop type 1 diabetes rapidly while others at risk do not?
- Golfers set to tee off for juvenile diabetes research.
- Team Type 1 Foundation Partners with Rwandan Ministry of Health.
8 January 2014
- Diabetes Development: Baby Food and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Disney and Lilly publish diabetes books online.
- A new normal....life with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Notable Neighbor: Dr. Rubina Heptulla works on a cure for a disease that hits close to home.
- Website steps up to plate for hockey star.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis without cerebral edema linked to neurocognitive changes.
1 January 2014
- Diabetes Innovators 2014.
- Family Claims Expensive Diabetic Alert Dog Failed.
- Sad News from the Behavioral Diabetes Institute (BDI).
[ Current Diabetes News in the Popular Press | News from 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday January 07, 2015 19:54:18
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.