Diabetes News in the Popular Press from 2018
19 October 2018
These Pewaukee parents knew nothing about diabetes before their baby was diagnosed with it. Now they're teaching others.
Athletes with Type 1 diabetes find support system.
Summit Academy defensive lineman doesn't let diabetes diagnosis stop him from standout senior season.
New Face finalist Alexis Cook isn't letting Type 1 Diabetes stop her.
Our love was a stack of pancakes covered in butter, maple syrup and whipped cream. And then it wasn’t.
10 October 2018
- DIY diabetic systems.
- Type 1 diabetes often misdiagnosed in adults.
- Class about Type 1 diabetes has a twist: All the students are living with the disease.
3 October 2018
- From Super Bowl champ to patient ambassador — Kendall Simmons on his battle with diabetes.
- 89-year-old diabetes patient thrives on insulin for more than 8 decades.
- House candidate runs across Ohio to fight rising drug costs.
- Dozens of marchers protest insulin prices, ask for transparency from Eli Lilly.
- Mom Warns Parents After 2-Year-Old Dies from Undiagnosed Diabetes: 'Become Aware of the Signs'.
26 September 2018
- Family receives airport apology after daughter told her medication would make plane crash.
- Chicago Public Schools manager advised nurses to cut back on services for diabetic kids.
- Pennsylvania girl with diabetes dies after blood sugar drops during sleepover, family says.
19 September 2018
- UnitedHealthcare gives 20-year guarantee to boy’s insulin coverage after Inquirer article.
- Diabetes Patients Are Hacking Together the Tech They Need. Doctors Are Just Tuning In.
- Diabetes: Livesaving Insulin Is Cripplingly Expensive—but DIY Drug Makers Could Be About to Change That.
- FMCSA Drops Exemption Process for Insulin-Treated Diabetic Drivers.
- Ravens rookie tight end Mark Andrews inspires fellow Type 1 diabetics to follow their dreams.
- Teddy bear helps families deal with type 1 diabetes.
- Muhammad Ali fights and wins to become first UK boxer with type 1 diabetes. See also Muhammad Ali to become first British diabetic boxer this weekend after battle to obtain licence.
12 September 2018
- Some diabetics making tough choices as insulin prices spike.
- Boy, 3, saves diabetic mother’s life after her blood sugar levels crash.
- Users Create DIY Hack Of Diabetes Management Devices.
- Louisville donor provides $500K gift to UofL for type 1 diabetes research.
5 September 2018
- 5 Things I’m Sick of Hearing as Someone With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Families ride the roller-coaster of type 1 diabetes.
- 15-year-old with Type 1 diabetes is ‘drafted’ by Vanguard University volleyball team.
- Students with chronic conditions face a stiff burden.
- Manchin speaks with family who suffers from a pre-existing condition.
- Rising cost of insulin a challenge to many diabetic Kansans.
- Insulin's High Cost Leads To Lethal Rationing.
29 August 2018
- Playing football with diabetes just part of the game for Decatur fullback.
- For Cubs pitcher, tickets to raise money for juvenile diabetes research are personal.
- Students teach kids how to manage Type 1 diabetes at Camp Conrad Chinnock.
22 August 2018
- For DIY ‘loopers,’ diabetes educators play important role.
- Novo Nordisk celebrating decade of Kimball partnership. See also IndyCar racer Charlie Kimball beating diabetes and opponents.
- The Future of OpenAPS with Dana Lewis.
- Pilots land in Prairie while advocating for flying with diabetes. See also T1D Duo Breaks World Record in Flight.
- Individuals with Type 1 diabetes in Houston should plan for emergencies.
- It’s a dangerous eating disorder that affects people with diabetes. So why haven’t you heard of it?
- New medical specialty needed to manage growing number of Americans with diabetes.
15 August 2018
- Can CGM Be a Game Changer for Pilots With Type 1 Diabetes? Two Men on a Mission Say Yes.
- Rwanda: Team Novo Nordisk fights for respect, diabetes education with Lozano’s stage win.
- Chris Dudley Basketball Camp: A unique experience for kids with type-1 diabetes.
- New diabetes technology introduced first in Mid-South.
- Nitro teen not letting diabetes keep him off the football field.
- Wales rugby international Tyler Morgan diagnosed with diabetes.
- Annual tennis tourney aids in diabetes fight.
- Tandem Diabetes: Beneath The Numbers, The Story Is More Impressive.
- Insulin prices are skyrocketing, affecting families in SWFL.
- Rising Insulin Prices Push Woman to Buy Medicine on Craigslist.
- New Contact Lenses Could Help Patients With Diabetes Keep Vision Longer.
8 August 2018
- The $250 Biohack That’s Revolutionizing Life With Diabetes.
- Driving with Diabetes: One Racer's Story.
- Dublin girl fights through diabetes to earn MMA black belt.
- 2 farmers, 2 tractors on an epic journey to Alaska, raising money for Type 1 diabetes research.
- Giving kids with diabetes a chance to go camping.
1 August 2018
- Bioengineered human 'pseudoislets' aim to improve treatments for type 1 diabetes.
- Brexit: Millions of diabetes patients could be 'seriously disadvantaged' by insulin shortages if no deal reached. See also As someone with diabetes, I'm prepared to secure my own insulin supply before Brexit – because I don't trust the government to do it.
- World-class triathlete Ryan Jones doesn’t let diabetes slow him down.
- Stu Cowan: Canadiens' Max Domi inspired by fellow diabetic Bobby Clarke.
- In bid for diabetes market, Medtronic, among others, talking money.
25 July 2018
- When insurers drop medications for cheap alternatives, the effects can be devastating for some patients.
- Mother shares the outrageous cost of insulin for her daughter.
- Experience: I built my own pancreas.
- UF doctors’ videos, book aid Type 1 diabetics.
- Saliva could provide a painless type 1 diabetes test for children.
- Labour MP claims postcode lottery is blocking type 1 diabetes technology access.
19 July 2018
- Former ‘American Idol’ runner-up visits Fort Mill diabetes day camp.
- Kimball's Toronto car highlights Diabetes Canada partnership .
- What is on Theresa May’s arm, what are the patches for and is she a diabetic?
- Inhalable insulin provides alternative to needles for millions living with diabetes.
4 July 2018
- Camp Nolohi focuses on children with diabetes.
- Transplant surgeon changed Type 1 diabetes treatment the world over.
- Ketogenic dieters strip pharmacies of life-saving tests for diabetics.
27 June 2018
- Koala with Diabetes at San Diego Zoo Receives Help from New Technology.
- Liberty Twp. girl to be juvenile diabetes ambassador.
- Diabetes Patients at Risk From Rising Insulin Prices.
- Utah families with diabetic kids are going to extremes to afford insulin.
- Ravens rookie Mark Andrews refuses to be defined by diabetes.
- Hixson boy with type 1 diabetes gets a special Riverbend surprise.
20 June 2018
- Kids with Type 1 diabetes become friends after chance encounter at rodeo.
- Fighting the stigma of diabetes: helping young people speak out about their disease.
- Texas officer buys groceries for man who had his stolen when he fainted outside.
- Why does my health insurer sabotage my efforts to manage my diabetes?
- Study: Almost half of diabetics skip medical care due to costs.
13 June 2018
- New device makes life easier for family of diabetic twin toddlers.
- Cutting-edge tech makes diabetes management easier (and less painful) than ever.
- Diabetes 'technological wave' has too much upside to ignore: JP Morgan.
- NDP government to cover cost of insulin pumps for diabetic patients of any age.
- The medicine keeping her alive was also killing her.
- Diabetes hasn't stopped Charlie Kimball from chasing his IndyCar dreams.
- Chronic Illness and Tragedy Turn Teen into Pharma-fighting Advocate.
- Hochman: 'Diabetic Phenom' — that's Cardinals rookie Jordan Hicks.
- What it's like to live with Type 1 Diabetes at university.
- Needle-free: 10-year Study Shows Rare Diabetes May Be Treated With Tablets.
6 June 2018
- San Antonio bodybuilder makes strides in her goals while living with Type 1 diabetes.
- International Welsh sprinter with Type 1 diabetes to inspire youngsters.
- Golfer with type 1 diabetes sets sights on next championship victory.
23 May 2018
- Paying the price for insulin.
- Ex-UM QB Hewlett's golf event nears $1M for diabetes.
- Evamere Elementary School students stand out for smiles, selflessness.
- Novo Nordisk commits nearly $7 million for Minglin Ma's diabetes research.
16 May 2018
- A Mother's Day Message To Pharma: Lower Your Insulin Prices.
- Rally at Capitol brings attention to rising cost of prescription drugs.
- Dexcom's newest diabetes device can read your blood sugar without any blood, and it's a life-changer.
- Mom and daughter navigate Type 1 diabetes with innovative device.
- After Denver’s jail twice refused to accommodate a deputy’s diabetes needs, the city will pay him a $100,000 settlement.
- New look for Kimball at Indy.
- Indy notes: Daly partners with Lilly Diabetes for Indy 500, NASCAR race.
9 May 2018
- Mark Andrews: Type-1 Diabetes Won't Be a Problem in NFL.
- From Type 1 diabetes diagnosis at 19 to Bellator debut at 27, Jordan Williams wants to inspire others.
- Mom takes on Lilly, high drug prices.
2 May 2018
- Insulin Reaches Syrian Children with Diabetes.
- Challenges of Long-Distance Air Travel With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Kids and dog hailed as heroes for saving mom's life.
- Type I diabetes fails to deter Lady Comets.
- Passion for the games keeps young Aussie rules player going despite Type 1 Diabetes.
- Boys player of the year overcomes health scares.
- My doctor just suggested I travel from Red Lion to Mexico to get my diabetes medicine.
- Funding for biobank grows at UF for Type 1 diabetes research.
25 April 2018
- Understanding the signs and severity of type 1 diabetes.
- I found out my daughter had diabetes when ambulance officers knocked on my door.
- The Risky Game One Doctor Plays To Help Patients Find Affordable Insulin.
- Sylvia Mare aims to be a positive role model for people suffering from health conditions.
- Titans GM Jon Robinson fights his biggest battle at his house.
- Albury-Wodonga pair receives Kellion Victory Medals from Diabetes Victoria for 50 and 70 years of living with diabetes.
- Focusing on her own health led ASU grad to health care degree.
- Extra Effort: La Crosse Logan High School senior is determined to help others.
- ‘Skyjack’ book signing happening tonight at Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore.
- Ms. America with a mission: Victorville native Brittany Wagner champions American Diabetes Association after winning national pageant.
18 April 2018
- SUPREME COURT NOTEBOOK: Diabetes, decisions and justice math.
- Diabetes is not stopping this Brookline teen from running the Boston Marathon.
- When diabetes is your life, DIY on glucose monitors, pumps help.
- FDA approves AI-powered software to detect diabetic retinopathy.
- Red Mountain's Riley Pagel perseveres in football, baseball with Type 1 diabetes.
- PUMPD creates community for students with Type 1 diabetes.
4 April 2018
- Diabetes: Our Nation's Most Expensive Health Condition.
- Dexcom wins FDA approval for next generation of glucose monitors for diabetes.
- Abbott invests in diabetes care start-up.
- Could a Vaccine Be the End of Type 1 Diabetes?
- Diabetics on the Margin: Celebrating Diversity Within the Diabetes Community.
- Swansea’s Miss Massachusetts Teen USA volunteers at diabetes center.
- Incoming All-American Cate Reese unfazed by Type 1 Diabetes.
- Camp Banting for children with diabetes reborn after threatened shutdown.
- Mark Andrews poised to make having diabetes into a positive as he inches toward NFL.
- Bison thrower Stroh thriving while dealing with diabetes.
28 March 2018
- Dodgers reliever Scott Alexander gained strength from diabetes diagnosis.
- Challenged post player helps Baylor women to Sweet 16 again.
- Ian O’Riordan: Some drugs in cycling are a matter of life and death.
- 'Teddy Bear Clinic' helps children learn about Type 1 diabetes.
- Blind cavefish seem to ignore insulin without health consequences. See also Blind Cave Fish May Hold Secret To Treating Diabetes and Insulin resistance in cavefish as an adaptation to a nutrient-limited environment.
21 March 2018
- New Diabetes Monitors Require Fewer Pricks, Less Guessing.
- Wolfscastle company, FRIO, helps with a world rowing first.
- Being 2-sport athlete with type 1 diabetes makes Alabama’s Keith Holcombe one of a kind.
- Theresa May: I rely on the NHS every day and I am eternally grateful to them.
- Sugarland: As Diabetes Rate Skyrockets, So Does Cost of Insulin.
- Providing Free Insulin and Blood Glucose Test Strips to Low-Income Families Improves Type 1 Diabetes in India.
14 March 2018
- The Price They Pay.
- Cash-strapped diabetes sufferers to be hit hard as HBF no longer covers insulin pumps in basic policies.
- Just like everyone else.
- Batavia mom is raising awareness for Type 1 diabetes.
- First ever club set up for children with Type 1 Diabetes in North West.
- Low rates of kidney disease in adults with childhood-onset type 1 diabetes.
- Woman with type 1 diabetes unhappy at sharps box collection charge.
7 March 2018
- Type 1 Diabetes Is No Longer Just for Kids.
- Boxing, running, dead lifts—diabetes doesn’t hold this Atlanta personal trainer back.
- Sugar and Summits: Hiking the Appalachian Trail with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Before winning a state title, Carmel's Riley Palm had to pin diabetes.
- Dangerous Trend: 40 Percent Of Young Women With Diabetes Suffer Eating Disorder.
- How two Northwestern grads are making childhood illness easier to 'bear': BTN LiveBIG.
- Meet Maggie Crawford.
- Major Medical Associations Feud Over Diabetes Guidelines.
28 February 2018
- Woman raises concerns over diabetes alert dog agency.
- Type 1 diabetes: A life-changing diagnosis.
- Roche's Sinking Diabetes Unit Looks Toward a Monster for a Boost.
- Thomy toolkit could make life easier for children with type-1 diabetes.
21 February 2018
- CAFF - A mother and daughter face reality of living with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Rare Tumor Could Help Produce Insulin For Type-1 Diabetics, Study Shows.
14 February 2018
- Insulin quality questions have diabetes experts scrambling.
- Edgewood senior says she won't let anything hold her back.
- Crossing for a Cause: Seville Grove man to cycle from Perth to Sydney for Telethon Type 1 Diabetes Family Centre.
- Valognes delivers first major success for Team Novo Nordisk in Dubai Tour.
7 February 2018
- Having A Child With Diabetes Meant I Had To Step Up As A Parent.
- Diabetic girl returning to school.
- Adjusting to life as diabetic: 'The love for the game kept me going'.
- Basketball player Kelsey Lachowski not letting Type 1 Diabetes define her.
- I Had to Bury My 26-Year-Old Son Because He Couldn't Afford Insulin.
- Boy, 6, saves mum's life after she suffers diabetic emergency in their Brislington home.
31 January 2018
- Cool Kid Sierra Thornburg uses love of horses to help kids with special needs.
- Man recognised for managing type 1 diabetes for 70 years.
- She has battled diabetes for five decades and now has a medal for her courage.
- EMT Crews Often Unprepared for Diabetic Crises.
- Woman claims SA hotel didn't follow required ADA regulations.
24 January 2018
- Late introduction of gluten linked to higher risks of type 1 diabetes.
- 2017 Inventor: Kavya Kopparapu, 17.
- Izabel Goulart Shows "Love" for the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation Through Charitable Giving App Elbi.
- Isle of Wight man recognised for seven decades of coping with Type 1 diabetes.
- Woman with type 1 diabetes who treated hypo receives parking fine.
17 January 2018
- Eric Paslay brings encouragement, guitar tips to Vanderbilt children's hospital.
- Diabetic middle schoolers welcome newcomer to their 'band of brothers'.
- Diabetes doesnâ€™t deter this young Chesterfield dancer.
- Hawaii athlete with Type 1 diabetes helps raise $100,000 to find a cure.
- Baking relative supports three generations of Calgary family diagnosed with extremely rare form of diabetes.
- Stem cell implant trial aims to reverse Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetics living longer but medical costs growing rapidly.
10 January 2018
- Could Pitt genetic procedure allow people with type 1 diabetes to produce their own insulin? See also Gene Therapy Temporarily Reverses Type 1 Diabetes in Mice.
- Maine woman pushing Congress to cover Type 1 diabetes insulin pump.
- Noahâ€™s March: 11-Year-Old Breaks a Record Walking for a Cure.
- To catch Apple, Fitbit invests in a company that makes a small patch to track blood sugar for diabetics.
- Diabetes device development is ramping up but reimbursement looms large.
3 January 2018
- Freed From the iPhone, the Apple Watch Finds a Medical Purpose.
- Diagnosis doesnâ€™t keep Mercer soccer player off the field.
- Diabetes inspires Calgary rapper to release new song, raise awareness.
Current Diabetes News in the Popular Press |
Last Updated: Friday October 19, 2018 14:45:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.