Research News From 2018
19 October 2018
First Look at Control-IQ: A New-Generation Automated Insulin Delivery System.
Effectiveness of artificial pancreas in the non-adult population: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.
Maternal Antibiotic Use During Pregnancy and Type 1 Diabetes in Childrend-National Prospective Cohort Study.
Recording of Diabetes on Death Certificates of Decedents With Type 1 Diabetes in DCCT/EDIC.
Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, and Modulation of Hepatic Glucose Production With Insulin Glargine U-300 and Glargine U-100 at Steady State With Individualized Clinical Doses in Type 1 Diabetes.
10 October 2018
- Closed-loop insulin delivery in suboptimally controlled type 1 diabetes: a multicentre, 12-week randomised trial. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Algorithm Proves Better Than Humans at Controlling Blood Sugar in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Enlarging the loop: closed-loop insulin delivery for type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Women's Experiences of Day-and-Night Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery During Type 1 Diabetes Pregnancy.
- Progression from islet autoimmunity to clinical type 1 diabetes is influenced by genetic factors: results from the prospective TEDDY study.
3 October 2018
- Handling Exercise During Closed Loop Control. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Atherosclerosis and Microvascular Complications: Results From the Canadian Study of Longevity in Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Effect of Age on the Progression and Severity of Type 1 Diabetes: Potential Effects on Disease Mechanisms.
26 September 2018
- Association between maternal gluten intake and type 1 diabetes in offspring: national prospective cohort study in Denmark. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Gluten diet in pregnancy is linked to child diabetes.
- Psychosocial and Human Factors During a Trial of a Hybrid Closed Loop System for Type 1 Diabetes Management.
- Gastric emptying in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus: A pilot study.
- High Prevalence of Comorbid Autoimmune Diseases in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes from the HealthFacts Database.
- Do glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor (GLP-1R) agonists have potential as adjuncts in the treatment of type 1 diabetes?
- Will Genetic Engineering Carry Xenotransplantation of Pig Islets to the Clinic?
19 September 2018
- Gut Microbiota Differs in Composition and Functionality Between Children With Type 1 Diabetes, MODY2, and Healthy Control Subjects: A Case-Control Study.
- Glucose Management Indicator (GMI): A New Term for Estimating A1C From Continuous Glucose Monitoring. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Insulin Combo Reduces After-Meal Sugar Spikes in Type 1 Diabetics.
12 September 2018
- Prevalence of diagnosed type 1 and type 2 diabetes among US adults in 2016 and 2017: population based study. Free full text available in HTML reader format.
- Long-term Glycemic Control and Dementia Risk in Type 1 Diabetes. See also Prolonged, high HbA1c may increase dementia risk in type 1 diabetes. (Free registration may be required.)
- Multivariable Artificial Pancreas for Various Exercise Types and Intensities.
- Risk factors for development and progression of diabetic retinopathy in Dutch patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- The Coincidence of Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus with IgM Antibody Positivity to Enteroviruses and Respiratory Tract Viruses. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Comprehensive genetic screening: the prevalence of MODY gene variants in a population-based childhood diabetes cohort.
- Recruiting young pre-symptomatic children for a clinical trial in type 1 diabetes: Insights from the Fr1da insulin intervention study.
- Touch-actuated microneedle array patch for closed-loop transdermal drug delivery. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
5 September 2018
- Innate immune activity as a predictor of persistent insulin secretion and association with responsiveness to CTLA4-Ig treatment in recent-onset type 1 diabetes.
- Therapies to Suppress Î˛ Cell Autoimmunity in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Deletion of the glucagon receptor gene before and after experimental diabetes reveals differential protection from hyperglycemia.
29 August 2018
- Prospects for Primary Prevention of Type 1 Diabetes by Restoring a Disappearing Microbe.
- Cyclical variation in the incidence of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes during forty years in Navarra (Spain).
- Childhood onset type 1 diabetes at a tertiary hospital in south-western Iran during 2000-2015: Rapid increase in admissions and high prevalence of DKA at diagnosis.
- Islet Allotransplantation in the Bone Marrow of Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Randomized Trial.
22 August 2018
- In-situ type I oligomeric collagen macroencapsulation promotes islet longevity and function in vitro and in vivo. See also New type 1 diabetes therapy shows promise for long-term reversal in both humans, dogs.
- Clinical Evaluation of MK-2640: An Insulin Analog with Glucose-Responsive Properties.
- The bacteriome at the onset of type 1 diabetes: a study from four geographically distant African and Asian countries.
- Neurophysiological Evidence for a Compensatory Activity during a Simple Oddball Task in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Microencapsulated adult porcine islets transplanted intraperitoneally in streptozotocin-diabetic non-human primates.
- Patient and family expectations of beta-cell replacement therapies in type 1 diabetes.
15 August 2018
- Fasting hypoglycemia is associated with disease progression in presymptomatic early stage type 1 diabetes.
- Intestinal Metaproteomics Reveals Host-Microbiota Interactions in Subjects at Risk for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Current epidemiology of diabetic retinopathy in patients with type 1 diabetes: a national multicenter study in Brazil. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Studies Unable to Reproduce Results of Two Diabetes Papers.
- A Mathematical Model of Type 1 Diabetes Involving Leptin Effects on Glucose Metabolism.
8 August 2018
- Performance of the Omnipod Personalized Model Predictive Control Algorithm with Meal Bolus Challenges in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Identical and Nonidentical Twins: Risk and Factors Involved in Development of Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Efficacy and Safety of Dapagliflozin in Patients With Inadequately Controlled Type 1 Diabetes (the DEPICT-2 Study): 24-Week Results From a Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Persistent Elevations in Circulating INS DNA Among Subjects with Longstanding Type 1 Diabetes.
- Parental smoking and risk of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes.
- Multiresponsive Supramolecular Theranostic Nanoplatform Based on Pillararene and Diphenylboronic Acid Derivatives for Integrated Glucose Sensing and Insulin Delivery.
1 August 2018
- Closed-Loop Driven by Control-to-Range Algorithm Outperforms Threshold-Low-Glucose-Suspend Insulin Delivery on Glucose Control Albeit not on Nocturnal Hypoglycemia in Pre-pubertal Patients with Type 1 Diabetes in Supervised Hotel Setting.
- Identical and Nonidentical Twins: Risk and Factors Involved in Development of Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Baseline Glycated Hemoglobin Values Predict the Magnitude of Glycemic Improvement in Patients with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes: Subgroup Analyses from the DIAMOND Study Program.
- The Future of Islet Transplantation Is Now. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
25 July 2018
- Antibiotic-induced acceleration of type 1 diabetes alters maturation of innate intestinal immunity. Full text PDF available via link. See also Changes in bacterial mix linked to antibiotics increase risk for type 1 diabetes.
- Qualitative study of barriers to clinical trial retention in adults with recently diagnosed type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pet exposure in the family during pregnancy and risk for Type 1 diabetes - the prospective ABIS-study.
- Cognitive decline and dementia in diabetes mellitus: mechanisms and clinical implications.
19 July 2018
- Artificial Pancreas: Clinical Study in Latin America Without Premeal Insulin Boluses.
- A Type 1 Diabetes Genetic Risk Score Predicts Progression of Islet Autoimmunity and Development of Type 1 Diabetes in Individuals at Risk.
- Low-Dose Anti-Thymocyte Globulin (ATG) Preserves β-Cell Function and Improves HbA1c in New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes.
4 July 2018
- Efficacy and safety of the artificial pancreas in the paediatric population with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Improving the Safety and Functionality of an Artificial Pancreas System for Use in Younger Children: Input from Parents and Physicians.
- Evaluation of an Artificial Pancreas with Enhanced Model Predictive Control and a Glucose Prediction Trust Index with Unannounced Exercise.
- Adaptability of Closed Loop During Labor, Delivery, and Postpartum: A Secondary Analysis of Data from Two Randomized Crossover Trials in Type 1 Diabetes Pregnancy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
27 June 2018
- Safety and Performance of the OmnipodÂ® Hybrid Closed-Loop System in Children Aged 6-12 Years with Type 1 Diabetes over Five Days Under Free-Living Conditions.
- Impact of macronutrient content of meals on postprandial glucose control in the context of closed-loop insulin delivery - a randomized cross-over study.
- Sotagliflozin in Combination With Optimized Insulin Therapy in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: The North American inTandem1 Study.
- Ultra-rapid BioChaperone Lispro Improves post-prandial Blood Glucose Excursions versus Insulin Lispro in a 14-day crossover Treatment Study in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- HbA1c and Hypoglycemia Reductions at 24 and 52 Weeks With Sotagliflozin in Combination With Insulin in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: The European inTandem2 Study.
- Long-term reduction in hyperglycemia in advanced type 1 diabetes: the value of induced aerobic glycolysis with BCG vaccinations. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Joint Statement from JDRF and the American Diabetes Association.
20 June 2018
- Challenges to Reshape the Future of Type 1 Diabetes Research.
13 June 2018
- C-Peptide Decline in Type 1 Diabetes Has Two Phases: An Initial Exponential Fall and a Subsequent Stable Phase. See also New hope from the 'seven year switch' in Type 1 diabetes.
- Antibiotics, acetaminophen and infections during prenatal and early life in relation to type 1 diabetes.
- New Horizons in the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes: More Intense Immunosuppression and Beta Cell Replacement. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
6 June 2018
- Insulin-producing Cells from Adult Human Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Could Control Chemically Induced Diabetes in Dogs: A Preliminary Study.
- Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Saudi Arabia: A Soaring Epidemic. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Frequent Monitoring of C-peptide Levels in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Subjects Using Dried Blood Spots Collected at Home.
- Sex as a determinant of type 1 diabetes at diagnosis.
23 May 2018
- Children with type 1 diabetes who experienced a honeymoon phase had significantly lower LDL cholesterol 5 years after diagnosis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids and risk of preclinical and clinical type 1 diabetes in children-a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Islet transplantation versus insulin therapy in patients with type 1 diabetes with severe hypoglycaemia or poorly controlled glycaemia after kidney transplantation (TRIMECO): a multicentre, randomised controlled trial.
- Assessment of porcine endogenous retrovirus transmission across an alginate barrier used for the encapsulation of porcine islets.
16 May 2018
- Influence of early-life parental severe life events on the risk of type 1 diabetes in children: the DiPiS study.
- Randomized Outpatient Trial of Single- and Dual-Hormone Closed-Loop Systems That Adapt to Exercise Using Wearable Sensors.
- Impact of genetic polymorphism in the β₂-receptor gene on risk of severe hypoglycemia in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- The impact of hypoglycaemia awareness status on regional brain responses to acute hypoglycaemia in men with type 1 diabetes.
9 May 2018
- In-home nighttime predictive low glucose suspend experience in children and adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Cardiovascular Autonomic Neuropathy and Glucose Variability in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: Is There an Association? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
2 May 2018
- Factors associated with preservation of C-peptide levels at the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.
- Restructuring of the Gut Microbiome by Intermittent Fasting Prevents Retinopathy and Prolongs Survival in db/db Mice.
25 April 2018
- Higher parental occupational social contact is associated with a reduced risk of incident pediatric type 1 diabetes: Mediation through molecular enteroviral indices. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Artificial pancreas treatment for outpatients with type 1 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Longitudinal assessment of hippocampus structure in children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impaired vibrotactile sense in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes - Signs of peripheral neuropathy.
- Pancreatic Beta Cell Death: Novel Potential Mechanisms in Diabetes Therapy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
18 April 2018
- Prospective study evaluating the use of nasal glucagon for the treatment of moderate to severe hypoglycaemia in adults with type 1 diabetes in a real‐world setting. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Nasal glucagon safe, effective in treating hypoglycemic events in children at home, school.
- Exploring Variation in Glycemic Control Across and Within Eight High-Income Countries: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of 64,666 Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Plasma Insulin Levels and Hypoglycemia Affect Subcutaneous Interstitial Glucose Concentration.
- Fully Closed-Loop Multiple Model Probabilistic Predictive Controller Artificial Pancreas Performance in Adolescents and Adults in a Supervised Hotel Setting.
- Persistence of abnormalities in white matter in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Study finds high rates of type 1 diabetes near food swamps.
- GPR119 Agonism Increases Glucagon Secretion During Insulin-Induced Hypoglycemia.
4 April 2018
- Genetic scores to stratify risk of developing multiple islet autoantibodies and type 1 diabetes: A prospective study in children. See also Genes can help predict children's risk of type 1 diabetes.
- The Economic Burden of Insulin-Related Hypoglycemia in Adults with Diabetes: An Analysis from the Perspective of the Italian Healthcare System.
- Trends in Diabetic Ketoacidosis Hospitalizations and In-Hospital Mortality - United States, 2000-2014. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
28 March 2018
- Economic Costs of Diabetes in the U.S. in 2017. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Automated Insulin Delivery Systems: Hopes and Expectations of Family Members.
- Hypoglycaemia Incidence and Recovery During Home Use of Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Integration of Routine Parameters of Glycemic Variability in a Simple Screening Method for Partial Remission in Children with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Vitamin D Status, enterovirus infection, and type 1 diabetes in italian children/adolescents.
- Family adjustment to diabetes diagnosis in children: Can participation in a study on type 1 diabetes genetic risk be helpful?
- Self-reported color-race and genomic ancestry in an admixed population: a contribution of a nationwide survey in patients with type 1 diabetes in Brazil.
21 March 2018
- Unannounced Meals in the Artificial Pancreas: Detection Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Peptide Immunotherapy for Type 1 Diabetes-Clinical Advances. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Superior Glycemic Control with a Glucose-Responsive Insulin Analog: Hepatic and Nonhepatic Impacts.
- Viral insulin-like peptides activate human insulin and IGF-1 receptor signaling: A paradigm shift for hostâ€“microbe interactions. See also Insulin Goes Viral?
14 March 2018
- A phase 3 multicenter, open-label, prospective study designed to evaluate the effectiveness and ease of use of nasal glucagon in the treatment of moderate and severe hypoglycemia in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes in the home or school setting.
- Paracrine Interactions within the Pancreatic Islet Determine the Glycemic Set Point. See also Researchers Confirm Entire Islet Organ is the Master Regulator of Blood Glucose Levels.
- α Cell Function and Gene Expression Are Compromised in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Adrenaline and cortisol levels are lower during nighttime than daytime hypoglycaemia in children with type 1 diabetes.
7 March 2018
- Novel subgroups of adult-onset diabetes and their association with outcomes: a data-driven cluster analysis of six variables. See also Diabetes is actually five separate diseases, research suggests.
- A prospective study evaluating the use of nasal glucagon for the treatment of moderate to severe hypoglycemia in adults with type 1 diabetes in a real-world setting.
- Seasonal Variation in Month of Diagnosis of Polish Children with Type 1 Diabetes - A Multicenter Study.
- Preventing Nocturnal Hypoglycemia: Single- vs Dual-Hormone Artificial Pancreas System.
- Safety and Efficacy of Epigenetically Converted Human Fibroblasts Into Insulin-Secreting Cells: A Preclinical Study.
28 February 2018
- Clustering of microvascular complications in Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Human Subcutaneous Tissue Response to Glucose Sensors: Macrophages Accumulation Impact on Sensor Accuracy.
21 February 2018
- A plateau in new onset type 1 diabetes: Incidence of pediatric diabetes in the United States Military Health System.
- Methyldopa blocks MHC class II binding to disease-specific antigens in autoimmune diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Researchers find existing drug effective at preventing onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes susceptibility alleles are associated with distinct alterations in the gut microbiota. See also Researchers discover link between gut and type 1 diabetes.
- Optimizing Hybrid Closed-Loop Therapy in Adolescents and Emerging Adults Using the MiniMed 670G System.
14 February 2018
- Impact of erroneous meal insulin bolus with dual-hormone artificial pancreas using a simplified bolus strategy - A randomized controlled trial.
- Impact of C-Peptide Status on the Response of Glucagon and Endogenous Glucose Production to Induced Hypoglycaemia in T1D.
- Beta Cell Function after Intensive Subcutaneous Insulin Therapy or Intravenous Insulin Infusion at Onset of T1D in Children without ketoacidosis.
- A type 1 diabetes genetic risk score can discriminate monogenic autoimmunity with diabetes from early-onset clustering of polygenic autoimmunity with diabetes.
- Administration of vitamin D and high dose of omega 3 to sustain remission of type 1 diabetes.
- Coxsackievirus B1 infections are associated with the initiation of insulin-driven autoimmunity that progresses to type 1 diabetes..
- Virus-like infection induces human β cell dedifferentiation.
7 February 2018
- Overnight Glucose Control with Dual- and Single-Hormone Artificial Pancreas in Type 1 Diabetes with Hypoglycemia Unawareness: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Hypoglycemia unawareness in type 1 diabetes suppresses brain responses to hypoglycemia.
- A Prospective Multicenter Evaluation of the Accuracy of a Novel Implanted Continuous Glucose Sensor: PRECISE II.
31 January 2018
- Excess Mortality in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Without AlbuminuriaĂ˘â‚¬â€ťSeparating the Contribution of Early and Late Risks.
- Type 1 Diabetes in Parents and Risk of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Offspring: A Population-Based Study in Sweden.
- Soft, smart contact lenses with integrations of wireless circuits, glucose sensors, and displays.
24 January 2018
- Decreased α-cell mass and early structural alterations of the exocrine pancreas in patients with type 1 diabetes: An analysis based on the nPOD repository. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Dual-hormone artificial pancreas: benefits and limitations compared with single-hormone systems.
- Low-grade Inflammatory Marker Profile May Help to Differentiate Patients With LADA, Classic Adult-Onset Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
17 January 2018
- Early Infant Diet and Islet Autoimmunity in the TEDDY Study.
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes in China, 2010-13: population based study. See also Type 1 Diabetes on the Rise in China, Most New Cases in Adults.
- Incidence of childhood onset type 1 diabetes in Western Australia from 1985 to 2016: Evidence for a plateau.
- Basal Insulin Peglispro Increases Lipid Oxidation, Metabolic Flexibility, Thermogenesis And Ketone Bodies Compared To Insulin Glargine In Subjects With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Efficacy and safety of fast-acting insulin aspart in comparison with insulin aspart in type 1 diabetes (onset 1): a 52-week, randomized, treat-to-target, phase 3 trial.
10 January 2018
- Effect of Hydrolyzed Infant Formula vs Conventional Formula on Risk of Type 1 Diabetes: The TRIGR Randomized Clinical Trial. See also Modifying baby formula doesn't prevent type 1 diabetes in children.
- Infant Feeding in Relation to the Risk of Advanced Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes in Children With Increased Genetic Susceptibility: A Cohort Study.
- Endogenous Reprogramming of Alpha Cells into Beta Cells, Induced by Viral Gene Therapy, Reverses Autoimmune Diabetes.
- Reversible retinal vessel closure from VEGF-induced leukocyte plugging.
- Method may reverse vision loss from diabetes.
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes in China, 2010-13: population based study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
3 January 2018
- Distinct fecal and oral microbiota composition in human type 1 diabetes, an observational study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Effect of a Glucagon Receptor Antibody (REMD-477) in Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Transplantation of Macro-encapsulated Human Islets within the Bioartificial Pancreas β Air to Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Designing a retrievable and scalable cell encapsulation device for potential treatment of type 1 diabetes. See also Spider web inspired implantable "string" could control diabetes.
- Incidence and prevalence trends of youth-onset type 2 diabetes in a cohort of Canadian youth: 2002-2013.
Current Research News |
Last Updated: Friday October 19, 2018 14:45:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.