Back to Rufus Rufus Visits the Hennion Family

The Hennion Family - Cape Town, South Africa
Nicole, born in 1957
Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in the 1980s
Takes insulin once a day

My Mom is now on insulin in the evenings. My name is Martine. My Mom showed me an article on Rufus last year and thought it would be a good idea to invite Rufus to stay with me and I could tell people all about Rufus and make people more aware of diabetes. I'm 24 years old and spent over 10 years with my Mom, so I have a good idea of her lows and highs. I live 4 houses away from my parents.

Tuesday 15 July 2003
My Mom got a call yesterday to say that Rufus would be arriving today. I was so excited. I work shifts for a car rental company at Cape Town International Airport. I finished my shift and drove to my parent's to collect Rufus. Most of his stay will be with me, because I want to make people aware and I meet tons of people. I went to my house to discover that I'd left my house keys at work. So I went to my brother Paul's (22 yrs old) friend's place to get his set of keys as he lives in the same house as I do. He quickly introduced Rufus to them. I then went home and Rufus helped me take down my washing from the line. Rufus is now very tired as it is 0045 and he needs his rest, just like me. My Mom was kind enough to give Rufus his injection just before I took him. Goodnight!

Wednesday 16 July 2003
Rufus had a quiet but busy day - if that can be said. I took Rufus to my boyfriend's flat, as I didn't want to leave him at home alone. My boyfriend, Jan, was very unimpressed with me. I left Rufus at home and Jan and I went out for a while. I took Rufus to work and I had everyone arguing over him. They all wanted him. My Supervisor asked me what Rufus was doing with me at work, so I explained to him that Rufus was a special bear. My Supervisor turned around and said that when Rufus leaves he will have diabetes and will have gone crazy, because we are all crazy. He was joking about it, but to work in a car rental company you have to be crazy!! Rufus met another little baby today. I had to try to fit a baby car seat in a car, and to keep the baby quiet I let him hold Rufus. Rufus' sugar was good all day and he had a very healthy diet. I didn't give him any honey, although he really wanted some!! But all bears like honey!! Oh yes, for the first time in my life I gave Rufus injections. I've never done that before, not even on my Mom!! Rufus and I are now off to bed!! It's after midnight again!!

Thursday 17 July 2003
Today I didn't go to work, as it was my off day. My Mom and I took Rufus to my Mom's Medical Aid to hand some claims in. We then went to Cape Town's largest shopping mall, called Century City. We went shopping. We shopped and shopped. Rufus was very tired by the time we finished. I'm sure he enjoyed the ride in the trolley, though on top of all the goodies! I left Rufus with my Mom as I went to stay at my boyfriend's place.

Friday 18 July 2003
Today was a horrible day. Mr Bond, (Allan and not James) my landlord, died. He was very sick and I'm sure he is far better off in heaven. I was told that I have 3 months to move out of my place. I picked up Rufus and took him with me to Jan's flat. He had a quiet afternoon after the stress at work.

Saturday 19 July 2003
I took Rufus back to my parent's again as he would have been lonely at Jan's place. My Mom relaxed at home with Rufus and my Dad.

Sunday 20 July 2003
Rufus continued to relax at my parents.

Monday 21 July 2003
Rufus spent yet another day at my parents.

Tuesday 22 July 2003
I went to fetch Rufus today again. He went with me to work and is now relaxing with me in bed. I've moved out of Mr Bond's house and I'm living with my boyfriend. I told Jan today that if he wants me, he has to take me all, and that includes Rufus. So that's finally settled! Rufus will be joining in!! I still have some things to move around, so Rufus is going to be very busy tomorrow.

Wednesday 23 July 2003
Between Rufus, Jan and I we moved most of my stuff. We went and bought a wall unit and went to my parents for dinner. It was a very busy day!!

Thursday 24 July 2003
I went to work very early today, so I left Jan and Rufus sleeping. I went home after work and Jan went to NA, (Narcotics Anonymous). I went to Mr Bond's memorial service. I went back to my new flat and had a nice sleep. I went to fetch Jan and we sat watching videos until the early hours of the morning.

Friday 25 July 2003
We sat at home all morning because we had to wait for my wall unit to arrive. I then went to work. Rufus is leaving us tomorrow. I'm going to take him to my Mom to say goodbye and then take him to his new family. I love you Rufus, you sweet thing!!

Love from Martine, Jan & Nicole.

<< Prev Page

Next Page >>

Copyright Notice:
Rufus and Ruby, the bears with diabetes, is the creation of Carol Cramer, who owns the copyright to Rufus and Ruby. The graphics of Rufus are from Rufus Come Home, written by Kim Gosselin and illustrated by Terry Ravenelli, and are used by permission of the author.

  Back to Rufus Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Wednesday August 13, 2003 10:27:42
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.