Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Chicago 2009 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel in Chicago, Illinois from April 24-26, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 7-12, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life UK, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from August 14-16, 2009.
- Applications for the 2009-2010 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are online and must be received by May 15, 2009. This is a one month extension from the original April 15 deadline. Up to fifteen $5,000 scholarships will be awarded.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is once again offering scholarships for young adults with type 1 diabetes to attend CWD's Friends for Life 2009 conference.
- Smiths Medical Announces Intent To Stop Selling Deltec Cozmo® Insulin Pumps.
New This Week
- Hanna is 10 years old and has had diabetes for about a year.
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they check blood glucose levels during the middle of the night. This week's poll asks readers about their use of alternative site testing.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Little Red Sports Car by Eleanor Troutt, illustrated by J. Chris Price.
- Our page about Celiac is Worth a Look.
- The Family Support Network has over 4,100 families from all 50 states and 81 countries. If you're new to diabetes, looking for a baby sitter for your child, want to babysit others, or need a college parent, the Family Support Network can help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network. Now's also a great time to search for someone near you and introduce yourself.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My daughter Sarah went to a party last weekend. She was getting ready to leave and a guy called her over and asked, "So why are you wearing your garage door opener?" He actually did know what it was. It was her insulin pump.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the coffee pot or other kitchen appliance beeps and your child says, "That wasn't me!" (Quote from my 3 year old after beginning pumping.) See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen nephew is coming to stay with us with the hope that we will help him get his diabetes under control. We hope to be able to monitor him more closely and help correct his destructive behavior. Are we taking the right steps? What else can you suggest?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Hb1AC - what number is feasible?
Surveys and Studies
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is seeking children, teens and adults ages 1 to 45 years old (without diabetes) with a family member with type 1 diabetes. (PDF)
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is conducting a Type 2 Diabetes Study for 10 to 23 Year Olds. (PDF)
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is seeking families with a child aged 9-11 who has had type 1 diabetes for at least a year to learn about how families manage diabetes day-to-day. (PDF)
- The Protégé Study seeks people aged 8 to 35 years with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
From the Diabetes Blogosphere
- Laid Off, Cozmo No More.
- Who Killed the Cozmo?
- Charlie Kimball: Can I Drive Your Car?
- Anti-CD3 mAbs for treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- Advances in Type 1 diabetes therapeutics: immunomodulation and beta-cell salvage.
- Antibiotic Use and Type 1 Diabetes in Childhood.
- Can pancreatic duct-derived progenitors be a source of islet regeneration?
- Improved T cell assay for identification of Type 1 diabetes patients.
- CD4+ CD25+ T cells control autoimmunity in the absence of B cells.
- Microchimerism in type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes Among Adolescents: Reduced Diabetes Self-Care Caused by Social Fear and Fear of Hypoglycemia.
- Cognitive Function is Disrupted by Both Hypo- and Hyperglycemia in School-Aged Children with type 1 diabetes: A Field Study.
- Endurance capabilities of triathlon competitors with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Disturbed eating behaviors and eating disorders in type 1 diabetes: clinical significance and treatment recommendations.
- Prevalence and Correlates of Depression in Individuals With and Without Type 1 Diabetes.
- Safety and efficacy of inhaled insulin (AERx iDMS) compared with subcutaneous insulin therapy in patients with Type 1 diabetes: 1-year data from a randomized, parallel group trial.
- Pattern of celiac disease in infants and children.
- Celiac disease in the 21st century: issues of under- and over-diagnosis.
- Prevalence of Autoimmune Thyroiditis in Children with Celiac Disease and Effect of Gluten Withdrawal.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Suburban 'Diabetes Clusters' Prompt Study.
- Diabetes takes center court.
- Family tries to get handle on child's diabetes.
- Dealing with type-one diabetes.
- 1 Sweet Ride.
- Camp Dia-Best offers kids fun, education.
- Counterfeit NovoFine® needles discovered in England.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.