Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 7-12, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life UK, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from August 14-16, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: La Jolla 2009 conference, to be held at the Marriott San Diego La Jolla from October 2-4, 2009 in La Jolla, California.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend: Marco Island 2010 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort from December 31, 2009 - January 3, 2010.
New This Week
- George Canyon's "The Sky's Not the Limit" Tour is offering a drawing with a Grand prize of a free trip to the Children with Diabetes conference in Orlando, Florida in July 2010, and free tickets to Disneyworld.
- Submit your diabetes story at GlucoStories for a chance to attend Charlie Kimball's race in Miami in October 2009.
- Support Access to Diabetes Self-Management Training and Education (DSMT). Tell Congress to pass the Medicare DSMT Act as part of national health reform.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they or their child have been tested for celiac. This week's poll asks readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit prepared.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Real-Life Guide to Diabetes by Hope S. Warshaw, MMSc, RD, CDE, BC-ADM and Joy Pape, RN, BSN, WOCN, CFCN.
- Hydration, Diabetes, and Sports Performance is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The day after my daughter started pumping, she experienced a low, so I decided to pick her up from school. Imagine my surprise when the nurse told me "She's suspended." As she realized my eyes had widened, she corrected herself, saying, "Oh, I meant her pump."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you see the high gas prices at a station and what you really see are high blood sugar numbers. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed with type 1 at the age of three, my teenage daughter has acanthosis nigricans. She is not overweight and is active. What does this mean? Are there other similar cases?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Do you tell people ahead of time about diabetes?
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life has 686 panels. The next complete showing of the Quilt for Life will be at CWD's Friends for Life conference in Orlando in July 2009. Quilts received before July 1, 2009 will be included in the showing.
- Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics has published a Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) Supplement with free fulltext articles in PDF format including:
- The Future of Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring: An Overview of Its Development.
- A Tale of Two Compartments: Interstitial Versus Blood Glucose Monitoring.
- Continuous Glucose Sensing: Future Technology Developments.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Health Outcomes.
- Can We Really Close the Loop and How Soon? Accelerating the Availability of an Artificial Pancreas: A Roadmap to Better Diabetes Outcomes.
- A group of fourth-year nursing students from the University of Cincinnati has prepared a community project about Preventing DKA before diagnosis.
- Chapter 11 - Prediction of Type IA Diabetes: The Natural History of the Prediabetic Period from Type 1 Diabetes: Cellular, Molecular & Clinical Immunology by George S. Eisenbarth has been updated.
- Change in measurement of HbA1c in the UK. See also HbA1c Converter.
Products and Books
- A1CNow® SELFCHECK System is an at-home HbA1c system that does not require a prescription in the US. See also Bayer Diabetes Care Launches A1CNow® Selfcheck, a New A1c Monitor For At-Home Use; Through Self A1C Testing, New Monitor Enables Diabetes Management Between Physician Visits.
- Interplay between PTPN22 C1858T polymorphism and cow's milk formula exposure in type 1 diabetes.
- Incident Dysglycemia and the Progression to Type 1 Diabetes among Participants in the Diabetes Prevention Trial-Type 1.
- Incidence trends for childhood type 1 diabetes in Europe during 1989—2003 and predicted new cases 2005—20: a multicentre prospective registration study. See also Type 1 Diabetes Incidence Jumps 4% Annually in Europe's Youngest.
- Incidence and Time Trend of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in Austrian Children 1999-2007.
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity in youth with diabetes in USA: the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Circulating endothelial progenitor cells, endothelial function, carotid intima-media thickness and circulating markers of endothelial dysfunction in people with type 1 diabetes without macrovascular disease or microalbuminuria.
- Immunoregulatory mechanisms triggered by viral infections protect from type 1 diabetes in mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Changes in autoreactive T cell avidity during type 1 diabetes development.
- Lifetime prevalence of comorbid mood disorders in a representative sample of Canadians with type 1 diabetes.
- Accelerated Pharmacokinetics and Glucodynamics of Prandial Insulins Injected With Recombinant Human Hyaluronidase. See also Phase 1 Study For Halozyme's Insulin-PH20 Published, Highlights Findings For Faster Acting Insulin Formulations.
- Regeneration of the Pancreas in Adult Zebrafish.
- Predictors of Study Completion and Withdrawal in a Randomized Clinical Trial of a Pediatric Diabetes Adherence Intervention.
- Influence of Early Nutritional Components on the Development of Murine Autoimmune Diabetes.
- Continuous glucose monitoring beneficial for adults, children with well-controlled type 1 diabetes comments on The Effect of Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Well-controlled Type 1 Diabetes, previously reported.
- Changes in Basal Insulin Infusion Rates with CSII: Time until a Change in Metabolic Effect is Induced in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The effects of acute insulin-induced hypoglycemia on spatial abilities in adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Effects of Prior Intensive Insulin Therapy on Cardiac Autonomic Nervous System Function in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications Study (DCCT/EDIC).
- Difficulties or mistakes in diagnosing type 1 diabetes in children?—demographic factors influencing delayed diagnosis.
- Adult stature and diabetic complications in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Everyday experience of families three years after diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in children: a research paper.
- Adherence to the DASH Diet is Inversely Associated with Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes: The Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study.
- Efficacy of budesonide therapy in the early phase of treatment of adult celiac disease patients with malabsorption: An in vivo/in vitro pilot study.
- Different levels of humoral immunoreactivity to different wheat cultivars gliadin are present in patients with celiac disease and in patients with multiple myeloma. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Immunological profile of coeliac disease in a subgroup of patients with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
Legal and Legislative
- AACE and ACE applaud Supreme Court Judge Nominee Sonia Sotomayor for Successfully Meeting the Challenges of Type 1 Diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Meeting the Challenge of Diabetes.
- Dealing with diabetes is part of Shea's game.
- Lizzie's new life: Teen becomes advocate for diabetes.
- Friends making strides to help control diabetes.
- Ironman Competitor with Diabetes Inspires Individuals with Diabetes to Live Without Limits.
- Family's delight as little Lauren gets a new lease of life.
- UK diabetics to be first in the world to try out new insulin pump.
- Help on way for chronic diabetics in Northern Ireland.
- Paediatric Diabetes Clinic: Helping parents and children overcome the disease.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.