Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life UK, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from August 14-16, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: La Jolla 2009 conference, to be held at the Marriott San Diego La Jolla from October 2-4, 2009 in La Jolla, California.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend: Marco Island 2010 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort from December 31, 2009 - January 3, 2010.
New This Week
- We have a preliminary report from the just completed Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 annual conference.
- Living in the Fast Lane with Diabetes: Great Experiences among Great Inspirations.
- CWD: Friends For Life.
- Tom Karlya, Diabetes Dad, offers The Power of One.
- Last week's poll asked readers how they usually test for ketones. This week's poll asks readers if caring for their diabetes causes financial hardship for their family.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Ultimate Guide to Accurate Carb Counting by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- Our Report from Dubai 2007 is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My seven year old daughter was recently diagnosed with diabetes. A couple of weeks ago, my five year old son Brian told me that he wasn't feeling well because he cut his finger and saw the "hydrates coming out."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find used infusion sets tied to the furniture as toys for the new kitten. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
When I exercise intensely, I feel very nauseous about two hours later. My blood sugar is not too elevated, but I have large ketones. How can I prevent the ketones/nausea? They make me reluctant to continue to exercise.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
FFL People - reports?
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 699 panels. Several panels were delivered at Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 and will be posted in the coming days.
- JDRF offers guidance on CGM Insurance Coverage.
Advocacy, Fundraising Events, and Support
- The American Diabetes Association Now Accepting Applications For The 2010 National Youth Advocate. The ADA's National Youth Advocate (NYA) position is open to young people ages 12-17 years old (as of October 1) with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Applications must be postmarked by October 1, 2009.
Studies and Surveys
- diaTribe is offering a $500 DexCom Giveaway.
- Study of New Onset Of Type 1 Diabetes - Age 12 To 35 Years Within 100 Days Of Diagnosis - Thymoglobulin.
- A diabetes advocacy group that is looking at ways to improve care and accelerate the development of new therapies for people with diabetes seeks your input through a survey about online tools and registries related to diabetes.
- Parents of children ages 5-17, diagnosed within the last six months, are invited to participate in a research survey about Development and Evaluation of the Pediatric Diabetes Routines.
Products and Books
- Check out the revamped ACCU-CHEK web site and the Testing in Pairs blood sugar analysis tool.
- Medtronic Diabetes is recalling Quick-set infusion sets that have lot numbers starting with the number "8".
- Health Care Inspectorate Warns of Counterfeit Insulin Needles.
- Effect of Ingested Interferon-alpha on beta-Cell Function in Children With New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes.
- Remission of type 1 diabetes following anti-CD3 antibody treatment and transplantation of embryonic pancreatic precursors.
- Preservation of Beta Cell Function in Autoantibody Positive Youth with Diabetes.
- Seasonal variation of diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes mellitus in children worldwide.
- Maternal Body Mass Index before pregnancy, maternal weight gain during pregnancy, and risk of persistent positivity for multiple diabetes associated autoantibodies in children with the high-risk HLA genotype: The MIDIA study.
- Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Functionalized PEG Hydrogels Promote Survival and Function of Encapsulated Pancreatic beta-Cells.
- Functional Brain Connectivity and Neurocognitive Functioning in Patients with Longstanding Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus with and without Microvascular Complications: a Magnetoencephalography Study.
- Telomere length and progression of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Study Links Nitrosamines to Mortality in Diabetes, Other Diseases.
- Nocturnal hypoglycaemia in type 1 diabetes--frequency and predictive factors.
- Impaired awareness of hypoglycemia in a population-based sample of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Discontinuation of insulin pump treatment in children, adolescents, and young adults. A multicenter analysis based on the DPV database in Germany and Austria.
- Does Diabetes Double the Risk of Depression? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Periodontal status in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Risk factors for mortality and ischemic heart disease in patients with long-term type 1 diabetes.
- Renal and retinal effects of enalapril and losartan in type 1 diabetes.
- Glycaemic risk assessment in children and young people with Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Experiences of professional support during pregnancy and childbirth - a qualitative study of women with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Insulin analogs and pregnancy: an update.
- The effect of telemedicine on outcome and quality of life in pregnant women with diabetes.
- The response to hepatitis B vaccine: does it differ in celiac disease?
- Italian Paediatricians' Approach to Coeliac Disease Diagnosis.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Dreaming Up a Diabetes Center.
- Human testing on artificial pancreas.
- Barrington boy meets teen idol, partner in diabetes battle.
- Pitcher flourishes despite Type I diabetes.
- Valley Med launches first program in nation to link doctors and lawyers to address diabetics' needs.
- Insulet Establishes Eco-Friendly Disposal Program for the OmniPod(R) Insulin Management System.
- Bayer Unveils DIDGET(TM), the First and Only Blood Glucose Meter That Connects With the Nintendo DS(TM) or DS(TM) Lite.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:35
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.