Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2010 Conference, to be held at the Beaumont House Hotel and Conference Venue in Old Windsor, Berkshire, England from October 29-31, 2010, is sold out. If you would like to be on the waiting list in case space becomes available, please contact Laura Billetdeaux at .
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Marco Island Resort in Marco Island, Florida from December 30, 2010 - January 1, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- JDRF is Now Accepting Applications for Children's Congress 2011.
- We report on our Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010 conference, recently held at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- We report on our Friends for Life Canada 2010 conference, recently held at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- CWD families can vote for George Canyon to receive the Canadian Country Music Fan's Choice Award.
- The American Diabetes Association is seeking applications for its 2011 National Youth Advocate.
New This Week
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Last week's poll asked our readers to report how satisfied they are with the diabetes care their child receives at school. This week's poll asks readers about their insulin regimen.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Why Me? Why Did I Have To Get Diabetes? by Robert Messinger and Laura Messinger.
- Venom, part of CWD's Art and Poetry section, is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son recently was ill and had returned to school. His blood sugar went extremely low and the rescue had to be called. This obviously caused quite a commotion at the school. That evening a mother called to say that her daughter was worried about my son and had reported "Mom, his blood sugar was so low it was down to his belly button!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake up in the night, see the projection clock that says "5:30" and you think your child's blood sugar is 530! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son has been pumping for almost five years. His HbA1c was just 10.6. I know this is high and suspect there was a mistake in the testing. Would a very recent day of very elevated blood sugars have affected the HbA1c?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:s
My 65'th Anniversary
Advocacy and Events
- Diabetes: A Global Pandemic - Animas and the Johnson & Johnson Diabetes Franchise Answer the Call is a one-day event for families and health care professionals to be held on Saturday, October 16, 2010 from 9:30am ľ 3:00pm at the The Westin Long Beach in Long Beach, California.
Studies and Surveys
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- DEFEND is a global study seeking newly diagnosed patients aged 12 to 45 to test an islet preserving medication.
- The DiaPrevent research study is designed to see if the investigational Diamyd vaccine shots may help to preserve insulin producing capacity in patients with new onset type 1 diabetes.
- A new study being conducted at the University of Florida, Reversing Type 1 Diabetes After It is Established, is designed to find out if giving combination therapy of Thymoglobulin« and Neulasta« in patients with TID is safe and if this new combination therapy will preserve insulin production.
- Members of the Online Health Community, Forums, Message Boards, or Support Groups are invited to participate in a study looking at understanding how people develop their trust toward others in online health communities and how trust may affect trust-related behavioral intentions.
- Families in the Cincinnati area are needed for a new study on Type 1 Diabetes and Depression: A Study for Teens and Their Families.
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is conducting a Type 2 Diabetes Study For Children and Teens.
- 24 Years.
- JDRF Children's Congress: Lobbying for Life.
Products and Books
- Mommy, What is Type 1 Diabetes? is a new book for younger kids with type 1 diabetes.
- Early induction of GAD(65)-reactive Th2 response in type 1 diabetic children treated with alum-formulated GAD(65).
- Congenic mesenchymal stem cell therapy reverses hyperglycemia in experimental type 1 diabetes.
- Prognostic Performance of Metabolic Indexes in Predicting Onset of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Developmental programming and diabetes - The human experience and insight from animal models.
- Preclinical noninvasive markers of atherosclerosis in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes are influenced by physical activity.
- Onset of autoimmune type 1 diabetes during pregnancy: Prevalence and outcomes.
- Different intensities of glycaemic control for pregnant women with pre-existing diabetes.
- The prevalence and risk factors for coeliac disease among children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Prevalence of celiac disease and symptoms in relatives of patients with celiac disease.
- Increased Risk of Hospital Admission for Influenza in Patients With Celiac Disease: A Nationwide Cohort Study in Sweden.
- Effective shutdown in the expression of celiac disease-related wheat gliadin T-cell epitopes by RNA interference. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Salute the bee: Its honey is gluten-free.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Canyon first Canadian recipient of award.
- Living His Dream of Law Enforcement: Lt. Jose Lopez.
- Toddler honoured for saving mum's life.
- Help for teens with diabetes; Wireless offers independence.
- Insulin Pump ľ My story.
- Bruisers take on diabetes.
- Health Services offers program for students with Type 1 diabetes.
- Team Type 1 announce seven signings for 2011.
- Nick Jonas and Bayer Diabetes Care Enable Winners of the 'Give Back. Simply Win.' Contest to Realize Their Dream to Help Others.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.