Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
New This Week
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011.
- A Personal Journey to the New York Historical Society's Diabetes Exhibit.
- Vibhav lives in Kolkata, India.
- Last week's poll asked readers about potential innovations in 2011. This week's poll asks readers how they think type 1 diabetes will be cured first.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Rising: How a Rare Disease Became a Modern Pandemic, and What to Do About It by Dan Hurley.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I came downstairs one afternoon and my son Max (age 10, dx 4 years ago) said, "Mom, I was 28!" I said "Oh my gosh (panic rising in my throat), did you get some juice? Do you need help?" "No," he said. "Not my blood sugar! 28 was my Wii Fit age!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you spend several minutes on Christmas Eve reassuring your child that if Mommy gets up for a 2 a.m. bg check while Santa is in the house he'll still leave presents.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My ex-husband uses the same alcohol wipe several times for blood sugar checks and injections, while I use a clean one each time. What do you recommend?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How do you bolus for a meal when you're low?
Advocacy and Events
- The Capitol Chapter of the JDRF presents the 2011 JDRF Type 1 Diabetes Research Summit on Saturday, January 29, 2011 at the Bethesda North Marriott. Admission is free, but registration is required.
- The Kids 'n' Us 2011: Families Facing Diabetes Conference will be held on Saturday, April 30th, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Diabetes Sisters is hosting a Weekend for Women conference from April 29 - May 1, 2011 in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Studies and Surveys
- The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, a part of the National Institutes of Health, is currently seeking people who recently have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes to volunteer for clinical research studies. These studies are being conducted by research teams across the United States.
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- DEFEND is a global study seeking newly diagnosed patients aged 12 to 45 to test an islet preserving medication.
- I Want You to Know.
- LA Ink - Surfer's Diabetic ID.
- ADA is seeking to fill a ADA ľ Novo Nordisk staff attorney position.
- HbA(1c) levels in schoolchildren with type 1 diabetes are seasonally variable and dependent on weather conditions.
- Low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in patients with diabetes: a meta-analysis.
- Prospective comparison of two methods of screening for diabetic retinopathy by nonmydriatic fundus camera. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Effects of Serving High-Sugar Cereals on Children's Breakfast-Eating Behavior.
- Gluten-free goes mainstream.
- Gluten-free dining is more than just a trend.
- UConn Debuts Gluten-free Food Menu.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Kitty, 13: I'm sick of people thinking my diabetes is due to an unhealthy lifestyle.
- Wanted: A new name for Type 1 diabetes.
- Callison: 'Living her dream' with aid of a patch.
- HealthFirst: Type 1 diabetes vaccine.
- Faith-based healing reviewed; The death of a boy whose mother failed to seek medical care puts focus on her church and others.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:39
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.