Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
New This Week
- CWD is looking for positive stories about kids and their school nurse and coaching staff for publication in a national school nurse journal.
- diaTribe is excited to offer a chance to win a free Dexcom SEVEN PLUS Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) System starter kit (receiver, transmitter, and four-pack of sensors) or a pack of four SEVEN PLUS sensors.
- The 2011 DiabetesMineÖ Design Challenge has begun.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they use alternative site testing when checking blood glucose levels. This week's poll asks our readers who use an insulin pump how many different basal rates they have in their main basal profile.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Mommy, What is Type 1 Diabetes?, written and illustrated by Irene Mallano and Madison Rose Mallano.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 10 year old, type 1 diabetic son was ill and I was trying to check his keytones. His 6 year old sister called him over and said, "Greg, we have to check your croutons." We all had a good laugh!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your 10-year-old daughter looks at a beautiful, pinkish-purple sunset and declares, "That is so pretty! It looks like an infected site!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Here, in Colombia, I can get only one vial of lispro per month, but I may need to use more to combat highs. Can I use Regular for the times I run out of lispro?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How bad does cgm hurt? Is it worth it?
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2011 conference. The chat begins at 9pm Eastern on Tuesday, March 15th in the Friends for Life Chat Room.
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2011 conference. The chat begins at 4pm Eastern (9pm UK) on Tuesday, March 22nd in the Friends for Life Chat Room.
Advocacy and Events
- The 2011 Bumps & Pumps (and Pens!) Beach Volleyball Tournament supporting Connected In Motion will be held on Saturday April 30, 2011 from 5:30 ľ 10:00 pm at Beach Blast in Toronto, Ontario.
- DTREAT Ottawa is holding a retreat for adults with type 1 diabetes from May 6-8, 2011 at Carleton University in Ottawa. Register online.
Studies and Surveys
- Adults with type 1 can participate in a 20-30 minute online survey about Diabetes Knowledge, Acceptance, and Self-Efficacy as Predictors of Self-Care Behaviors.
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- DEFEND is a global study seeking newly diagnosed patients aged 12 to 45 to test an islet preserving medication.
Diabetes in School
- The 2010 edition of Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel is available. You can order one free printed copy and download the guide in PDF (several sections) and print as needed.
- From Abby: Positive > Negative.
- Miss America Nicole Johnson: Changing The Landscape of Chronic Illness.
- Wanted for Summer 2011: Summer Camp Counselor With Type 1 Diabetes and/or experience with insulin pump therapy.
- Automated Overnight Closed-Loop Glucose Control in Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Effect of Insulin Feedback on Closed Loop Glucose Control.
- Accelerated progression from islet autoimmunity to diabetes is causing the escalating incidence of type 1 diabetes in young children.
- Insulin autoantibodies with high affinity to the bovine milk protein alpha casein.
- The Incidence of Type-1 Diabetes in NOD Mice Is Modulated by Restricted Flora Not Germ-Free Conditions. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Increased prevalence of proliferative retinopathy in patients with type 1 diabetes who are deficient in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase.
- Internet-based contingency management to improve adherence with blood glucose testing recommendations for teens with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Uncoupling Intensive Insulin Therapy from Weight Gain and Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Rapid Pharmacokinetics of Intradermal Insulin Administered Using Microneedles in Type 1 Diabetes Subjects.
- Microneedle-Based Intradermal Versus Subcutaneous Administration of Regular Human Insulin or Insulin Lispro: Pharmacokinetics and Postprandial Glycemic Excursions in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Lowering Postprandial Glycemia in Children with Type 1 Diabetes After Italian Pizza "Margherita" (TyBoDi2 Study). Compare result with Optimal insulin pump dosing and postprandial glycemia following a pizza meal using the continuous glucose monitoring system
- A Novel Insulin Unit Calculator for the Management of Type 1 Diabetes.
- The relation of age to the severity of Type I diabetes in children. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Effects of Carbohydrate Counting on Glucose Control and Quality of Life Over 24 Weeks in Adult Patients With Type 1 Diabetes on Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion.
- A psychological support program for individuals with Type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Fleeting Moments of Clarity: The Great Lancing Debate.
- Local Teen Gives Hope to Chronically Ill Children.
- Local Child With Diabetes Awarded Dream Trip.
- Team Type 1 impresses at Montepaschi Strade Bianche.
- Cases of type 1 diabetes in youth on the rise.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.