Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
Other Stories of Interest
- CWD is looking for positive stories about kids and their school nurse and coaching staff for publication in a national school nurse journal.
- The 2011 DiabetesMine Design Challenge has begun.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our readers who use an insulin pump about their usual infusion set. This week's poll asks our readers how often they check blood glucose levels during the night.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son was dressed and ready to go in the pool. He also had disconnected his insulin pump. He said, "Mom can you blow up my raft?" I replied, "Sure, honey go get the pump." He came outside with his insulin pump instead of the air pump. I couldn't stop laughing!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake the stray dog who has parked himself on your deck has only been there 10 minutes and already has a test strip attached to his fur! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Would a glucose challenged C-Peptide test be definitive in determining type 1 diabetes in my case? If so, could you describe the test procedures and how I prepare for the test?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Do I:C ratios change from MDI to Pump?
Advocacy and Events
- Brenda Novak's 2011 Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research is scheduled to run from May 1 - 31, 2011. See also Brunch for A Cause With New York Times Best-Selling Author Brenda Novak!
- The 2011 Bumps & Pumps (and Pens!) Beach Volleyball Tournament supporting Connected In Motion will be held on Saturday April 30, 2011 from 5:30 â€“ 10:00 pm at Beach Blast in Toronto, Ontario.
- DTREAT Ottawa is holding a retreat for adults with type 1 diabetes from May 6-8, 2011 at Carleton University in Ottawa. Register online.
Studies and Surveys
- Adults with type 1 can participate in a 20-30 minute online survey about Diabetes Knowledge, Acceptance, and Self-Efficacy as Predictors of Self-Care Behaviors.
- Welcome to the DexCom Seven Plus.
- Interview: Bernard Farrell, DiabetesMine 2011 Design Challenge Judge.
- 2011 JDRF Government Day Takeaways.
- JDRF, the Government, and Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes expensive now? Wait till 2025. (While mostly referring to type 2, the numbers are staggering.)
- Crystal Bowersox talks about Diabetes.
- Wanted for Summer 2011: Summer Camp Counselor With Type 1 Diabetes and/or experience with insulin pump therapy.
- HLA Genes, Islet Autoantibodies and Residual C-Peptide at the Clinical Onset of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and the Risk of Retinopathy 15 Years Later. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Residual Beta Cell Function in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes after Treatment with Atorvastatin: The Randomized DIATOR Trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Prevalence of Nocturnal Hypoglycemia in Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Study Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
- Basal Insulin Requirement Is ~30% of the Total Daily Insulin Dose in Type 1 Diabetic Patients, Who Use the Insulin Pump.
- Chat Line for Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: A Useful Tool to Improve Coping with Diabetes: A 2-Year Follow-Up Study.
- Parental burnout in relation to sociodemographic, psychosocial and personality factors as well as disease duration and glycaemic control in children with Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Birth Size Distribution in 3,705 Infants Born to Mothers With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Long-term Renal Outcomes of Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and Microalbuminuria: An Analysis of the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications Cohort.
- Preliminary Application of a New Bolus Insulin Model for Type 1 Diabetes.
- One-Third of Patients Have Evidence for an Additional Autoimmune Disease at Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis.
- Effect of hookworm infection on wheat challenge in celiac disease - a randomised double-blinded placebo controlled trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Cookbook Corner: 'Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef.'
Legal and Legislative
- State Wrestles With Health Coverage.
- Judge: Westmoreland prison did not violate diabetic inmate's rights.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Experimental "Body Reboot" Drug Begins Trial As Preemptive Preventer Of Diabetes.
- Wonderkids campaign: Why are more of our children getting type 1 diabetes?
- The smart diabetic lives the longest.
- Canyon still hopes to fly into Kamloops.
- Diabetic girl, 10, petitions government over treatment.
- Expert: Children with diabetes face trouble.
- Coffing riding her Big Break success into the 2011 season.
- Weston Abusamra Helps Diabetes Research.
- Life-changing diabetes aid target of cuts.
- It's appropriate to cry over new glucose monitor.
- Pontiac 3rd-grader suspended for pricking classmates with blood-sugar testing device.
- Tooth Fairy or Guardian Angel? New hope of a potential cure for Diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.