Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- Italy Honors Camillo Ricordi, M.D., During Historic Celebration.
- CWD is conducting a brief survey of our readers.
- Last week's poll asked readers what they think is the hardest part of diabetes. This week's poll asks readers how the chose the glucose meter they use most often.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Diabetes, 12th Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and David M. Maahs, MD, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My daughter, Jazzy, was just diagnosed with diabetes last week. She has already mastered her finger pokes. Her little brother Colin, who is 22 months old, always watches her, holds up his finger, and says, "Too." She then pretends to give him a finger poke to he can "be like sissy."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when doing math homework, in response to the question "Name three things that you use in your home to measure with and draw a picture of it," your 6-year-old son writes "syringe" and painstakingly draws a picture of it. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My boyfriend has type 1. When we have children, will they have diabetes at birth? Is there a way to detect diabetes in utero? Are there medications to give an expectant mother to prevent diabetes in the baby?.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Looking for guidance/guidlines for night time checking
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2011 conference at 9pm Eastern on Tuesday, April 26th in the Friends for Life Chat Room.
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2011 conference at 4pm Eastern (9pm UK) on Wednesday, April 27th in the Friends for Life UK Chat Room.
Advocacy and Events
- The 2011 Bumps & Pumps (and Pens!) Beach Volleyball Tournament supporting Connected In Motion will be held on Saturday April 30, 2011 from 5:30 to 10:00 pm at Beach Blast in Toronto, Ontario.
- The George Canyon & Friends Diabetes Heroes Tour will be in Halifax, NS on May 2, Toronto, ON on May 3, and Calgary, AB on May 4. Featured at each stop is an opening keynote by Joe Solowiejczyk, an interactive session with three young adults with type 1, and songs by George Canyon. Admission is free but registration is required. See the respective venue's form for details.
- Brenda Novak's 2011 Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research is scheduled to run from May 1 - 31, 2011. See also Brunch for A Cause With New York Times Best-Selling Author Brenda Novak!
- DTREAT Ottawa is holding a retreat for adults with type 1 diabetes from May 6-8, 2011 at Carleton University in Ottawa. Register online.
Studies and Surveys
- The Children's Hospital at Montefiore in New York is recruiting for two new studies: Effects of Byetta in people newly diagnosed with type 1 and Effects of Symlin & Byetta on after meal blood sugars in people with type 1.
- The Importance of CWD Events.
- Guest Post: Type 3 Diabetes?
- Diabetes Polar Flight, Take-Off Today!
- Wanted for Summer 2011: Summer Camp Counselor With Type 1 Diabetes and/or experience with insulin pump therapy.
- Overnight closed loop insulin delivery (artificial pancreas) in adults with type 1 diabetes: crossover randomised controlled studies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Artificial Pancreas More Effective at Night.
- Free fatty acids level may effect a residual insulin secretion in type 1 diabetes.
- Peptide-MHC-based nanovaccines for the treatment of autoimmunity: a "one size fits all" approach?
- Oral Anti-CD3 Monoclonal Antibody Delays Diabetes in Non-obese Diabetic (NOD) Mice: Effects on Pregnancy and Offspring - A Preliminary Report.
- Anti-CD3 mAb treatment cures PDL1-/-.NOD mice of diabetes but precipitates fatal myocarditis.
- Impaired hypoglycaemia awareness and employment in people with Type 1 diabetes.
- Baseline Predictors of A1C Reduction in Adults Using Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy or Multiple Daily Injection Therapy: The STAR 3 Experience.
- One-year variability of HbA1c in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes - preliminary results.
- Persistence of Individual Variations in Glycated Hemoglobin.
- Serum Carotenoids and Fat-Soluble Vitamins in Women With Type 1 Diabetes and Preeclampsia: A longitudinal study.
- Passover Brings More Gluten-Free Foods to Supermarkets.
- Teenager learns to live gluten free.
- VA woman teaches a gluten-free lifestyle.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Quebec to cover cost of insulin pumps for Type 1 diabetes.
- Phil Southerland's Not Dead Yet: Memoir of a Bike Racer With Diabetes.
- Meet the City worker who breaks aviation world records in his spare time.
- A Miracle Technology for Type 1s: Can It Be Saved?
- IndyCar driver Charlie Kimball keeping pace with diabetes. See also At 230 mph, Indy driver monitors glucose and A Sweet Ride for a Determined Diabetic.
- Diabetes events support Camp Kandu, alert dogs.
- Camp has educational fun for diabetic youths.
- Thirteen-year-old organizes paintball benefit in Alton.
- Halozyme's Ultrafast Insulin Generates Faster-In And Faster-Out Profile For Type 1 Diabetes Patients Using Insulin Pumps.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.