Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- CWD is conducting a brief survey of our readers.
- Last week's poll asked readers how the chose the glucose meter they use most often. This week's poll asks readers how many times have they've had a retinal photograph as part of their diabetes eye care.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Teens: A Guide to Managing Your Life With Diabetes by Korey Hood, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I overheard the cutest thing while we were at a diabetes walk. Emily was walking in front of me with my 6 year old nephew. I was listening to them talk. He said to her, "Em, why are we walking around this place anyway?" I heard her tell him, "We are walking to find a cure for diabetes." My nephew said, "Well, where am I supposed to be looking for it?" I could have died laughing.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you use EMLA on your eyebrows before you tweeze them. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
In the last two weeks, my son has had two site infections. I use alcohol on his skin before inserting the infusion set, which we change every three days. How can we prevent infections?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
What determines the type of insulin a person receives?
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a chat about CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2011 conference at 4pm Eastern (9pm UK) on Wednesday, April 27th in the Friends for Life UK Chat Room.
Advocacy and Events
- The 2011 Bumps & Pumps (and Pens!) Beach Volleyball Tournament supporting Connected In Motion will be held on Saturday April 30, 2011 from 5:30 to 10:00 pm at Beach Blast in Toronto, Ontario.
- The George Canyon & Friends Diabetes Heroes Tour will be in Halifax, NS on May 2, Toronto, ON on May 3, and Calgary, AB on May 4. Featured at each stop is an opening keynote by Joe Solowiejczyk, an interactive session with three young adults with type 1, and songs by George Canyon. Admission is free but registration is required. See the respective venue's form for details.
- Attend a DRI Parents Empowering Parents Mini-Conference at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport Hotel on Saturday, May 7th. DRI Senior Scientist Dr. Norma Sue Kenyon will give an update on the latest research being conducted at the Diabetes Research Institute.
- Brenda Novak's 2011 Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research is scheduled to run from May 1 - 31, 2011. See also Brunch for A Cause With New York Times Best-Selling Author Brenda Novak!
- DTREAT Ottawa is holding a retreat for adults with type 1 diabetes from May 6-8, 2011 at Carleton University in Ottawa. Register online.
- Families are invited to the Gala Preview of the latest Disney-Pixar film, Cars 2, at Pixar Animation Studies on Saturday, June 2, supporting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
Studies and Surveys
- The Children's Hospital at Montefiore in New York is recruiting for two new studies: Effects of Byetta in people newly diagnosed with type 1 and Effects of Symlin & Byetta on after meal blood sugars in people with type 1.
- Wanted for Summer 2011: Summer Camp Counselor With Type 1 Diabetes and/or experience with insulin pump therapy.
- Sex-related differences in the long-term risk of microvascular complications by age at onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Pirfenidone for Diabetic Nephropathy. See also Antifibrotic May Slow Diabetic Nephropathy.
- Reversal of Diabetic Nephropathy by a Ketogenic Diet. See also Diet 'can reverse kidney failure' in mice with diabetes and Diet may 'reverse kidney failure' in diabetics.
- Primary Dietary Intervention Study to Reduce the Risk of Islet Autoimmunity in Children at Increased Risk for Type 1 Diabetes - The BABYDIET study.
- Correlation between insulin requirements and anti-galactose antibodies in patients with type 1 diabetes transplanted with neonatal pig islets.
- Differential Effect of Low-Dose Aspirin for Primary Prevention of Atherosclerotic Events in Diabetic Management.
- Future Acceptance of an Artificial Pancreas in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of Intranasal Insulin on Insulin Antibody Affinity and Isotypes in Young Children With HLA-Conferred Susceptibility to Type 1 Diabetes.
- Fathers' Involvement in Preadolescents' Diabetes Adherence and Glycemic Control.
- Vitamin D Deficiency Is Associated With Retinopathy in Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Retinal function in relation to improved glycaemic control in type 1 diabetes.
- Plant stanol esters lower LDL cholesterol level in statin-treated subjects with type 1 diabetes by interfering the absorption and synthesis of cholesterol.
- Oral manifestations of celiac disease: a clinical guide for dentists. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
Legal and Legislative
- An Open Letter to Senator Scott Brown.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- 3rd grader expelled for wielding diabetes tester.
- Parents have positive effect on diabetes treatment in teens.
- How diabetic teens and kids can learn from one another.
- Teddy bear challenges diabetes.
- In short time, Fuld a legend.
- Treatment options vastly improved for Type 1 patients.
- Diabetes sufferers lobbying Government.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.