Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- In honor of Mother's Day, the Diabetes Research Institute brings us The Real Moms of the DRI.
- Austin recently got a pump.
- Last week's poll asked readers how many times have they've had a retinal photograph as part of their diabetes eye care. This week's poll asks parents how soon after their child was diagnosed they began to go out again.
- The Featured Book of the Week is A First Book for Understanding Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
It is sad how much our little ones are picking up on the lingo associated with diabetes. My little granddaughter was calling to my son and he didn't respond right away, so she yelled out, "You get over here, right this insulin!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the only thing worse than a substitute teacher is a substitute school nurse. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son's endocrinologist has said diabetes is a progressive disease. Does this mean that the HbA1c worsens with time and that it becomes increasingly difficult to keep the blood sugars well controlled? Is an A1c under 6.5 more difficult the longer one has diabetes?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Does your child test in class?
Advocacy and Events
- Attend a DRI Parents Empowering Parents Mini-Conference at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport Hotel on Saturday, May 7th. DRI Senior Scientist Dr. Norma Sue Kenyon will give an update on the latest research being conducted at the Diabetes Research Institute.
- Brenda Novak's 2011 Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research is scheduled to run from May 1 - 31, 2011. See also Brunch for A Cause With New York Times Best-Selling Author Brenda Novak!
- DTREAT Ottawa is holding a retreat for adults with type 1 diabetes from May 6-8, 2011 at Carleton University in Ottawa. Register online.
- JDRF is hosting Diabetes Today and Tomorrow, one of the largest single-day patient education programs, on May 21, 2011 in Livonia, Michigan. The program is online (PDF). Attendance is free, but registration is required.
- Families are invited to the Gala Preview of the latest Disney-Pixar film, Cars 2, at Pixar Animation Studies on Saturday, June 2, supporting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- Riding On Insulin is holding a Ski & Snowboard Camp at the Oregon & Timberline lodge on Mt. Hood from June 3-4, 2011, led by pro-snowboarder Sean Busby, who has type 1 diabetes.
Studies and Surveys
- The Children's Hospital at Montefiore in New York is recruiting for two new studies: Effects of Byetta in people newly diagnosed with type 1 and Effects of Symlin & Byetta on after meal blood sugars in people with type 1.
- The current issue of diaTribe offers Enlite Sensor Shines The Way To A Bright Future.
- Cops and Low Blood Sugars.
- Medtronic's Implantable Insulin Pump – What You Might Like to Know.
- Association between environmental factors and risk of type 1 diabetes - a case-control study.
- What is the role of human contamination by environmental chemicals in the development of type 1 diabetes?
- Persistently autoantibody negative (PAN) type 1 diabetes mellitus in children.
- Preliminary studies related to anti-interleukin-1beta therapy in children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- Autoantigen based vaccines for type 1 diabetes.
- Use of a precious resource: Parental decision making about using autologous umbilical cord blood in studies involving young children with type 1 diabetes.
- A closed-loop artificial pancreas based on risk management.
- CD40-Specific Costimulation Blockade Enhances Neonatal Porcine Islet Survival in Nonhuman Primates.
- Pancreatic beta Cell Identity Is Maintained by DNA Methylation-Mediated Repression of Arx. See also New study shows it may be possible to turn pancreatic cells into insulin producers in people with type 1 diabetes.
- High fat diet protects BB/OK rats from developing type 1 diabetes.
- Accuracy Performance of the Medtronic NexSensorTM for 6 Days in an Inpatient Setting Using Abdomen and Buttocks Insertion Sites.
- Coping Skills Training for Parents of Children With Type 1 Diabetes: 12-Month Outcomes.
- The influence of an educational program on the HbA(1c)-level of adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a retrospective study.
- Age of onset of puberty and menarche in type 1 diabetic girls.
- Incidence of celiac disease among second-generation immigrants and adoptees from abroad in Sweden: evidence for ethnic differences in susceptibility.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Team Type 1's Efimkin wins the Tour of Turkey.
- Chase Pelletier, Competitive Kart Racer.
- Dr. Ponder: Diabetics don't have to be perfect.
- As Doggie Diabetes Soars, Human Treatment May Help.
- A wedding without diabetes worries.
- HS Lacrosse Notebook: Type 1 Diabetes doesn't slow down Lower Dauphin's Addie Answine.
- Camps Help Kids Look Forward.
- Diabetes in Kids Comes With Hefty Price Tag.
- Pediatric Diabetes Clinical Trial Uses Psoriasis Drug; Emory and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta investigators lead national study.
- Spring-Set Health Solutions Ltd., Receives FDA 510(k) Clearance to Market Its Spring Universal Infusion Sets in U.S.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:41
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.