Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
New This Week
- You can make a difference in the life of a child or teen with diabetes by bidding on an item in the Diabetes Scholars Foundation Auction 2011.
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor Recounts Life with Diabetes.
- Sotomayor opens up about her diabetes.
- Last week's poll asked readers about their connection to diabetes. This week's poll asks if they have their basal rates, insulin-to-carb ratios, and correction factors written down.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Ultimate Guide to Accurate Carb Counting by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
As I was dropping my daughter off at the mall to hang with friends, she announces that she forgot her pen. As we were making the round trip to go back home and get the pen and return to the mall, a friend calls her on her cell phone. I hear her say "I forgot my pen and we are going back home to get it." Pause. "You know my insulin pen." Pause. "My insulin pen. I need my insulin pen." Pause. "YOU KNOW, MY PANCREAS! I have to get my pancreas."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your six-year-old child announces that she didn't get high at that party and you know exactly what she meant, but the person next to you just looks at the two of you with a concerned face. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
What is the recommended frequency of eye exams for a type 1 (who does not have any background retinopathy/complicating factors) during pregnancy?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Question about diabetes camp
Quilt for Life
- We added three panels to the Quilt for Life, bringing the total to 726 panels. The Quilt will be shown at Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for the final pre-conference chat about CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2011 conference at 9pm Eastern on Wednesday, June 22nd in the Friends for Life Chat Room.
Advocacy and Events
- Patient Choice in Nevada.
- Triple Dose.
- Not One Nanogram/A Dream Deferred.
- Can A Vaccine Prevent Type 1 Diabetes?: An Interview with Prof. Len Harrison.
- Grand Prize Winner diaPETic: Making Human Interaction Count.
- Trail Mix Series: Testing on the Run.
- Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes in Sweden Among Individuals Aged 0–34 Years, 1983–2007: An analysis of time trends.
- The gut as a regulator of early inflammation in type 1 diabetes.
- Non-invasive retinal testing may predict retinopathy explains on Retinal Vascular Geometry Predicts Incident Retinopathy in Young People With Type 1 Diabetes, previously reported.
- Proliferative retinopathy predicts nephropathy: a 25-year follow-up study of type 1 diabetic patients.
- Phase I (Safety) Study of Autologous Tolerogenic Dendritic Cells in Type 1 Diabetic Patients.
- Recognition, prevention, and proactive management of hypoglycemia in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Hypoglycemia in insulin-treated diabetes: a case for increased vigilance.
- Changes in nutritional state, metabolic control and treatment of type 1 diabetes in the last 20 years.
- Management of Exercise-Induced Glycemic Imbalances in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diet, physical, and biochemical characteristics of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: relationship between dietary fat and glucose control.
- Perceptions of treatment control moderate the daily association between negative affect and diabetes problems among adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Dynamics of blood electrolytes in repeated hyper- and/or hypoglycaemic events in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- The effect of cardiovascular risk factors on the longitudinal evolution of the carotid intima medial thickness in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- FDA Warns of Risks With Liraglutide.
- Quality of life in children with diabetes and celiac disease: minimal impact of the 'double diagnosis'.
- Celiac Disease in Children with Normal Weight and Overweight: Clinical Features and Growth Outcomes Following a Gluten-Free Diet.
- Mean platelet volume could be a promising biomarker to monitor dietary compliance in celiac disease.
- The Gluten Free Consumer, A new publication to benefit individuals with problems.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Father's Day Reflections.
- New app for teens with Type 1 diabetes.
- Coping with Type 1 diabetes has become routine for Galesburg 6-year-old.
- 'I never thought ill son had diabetes.'
- Jury: Redwood City officer used excessive force.
- American Idol Finalist Crystal Bowersox Joins JDRF's Children's Congress for Diabetes Research.
- Draft guidance on early form of artificial pancreas for diabetes management.
- Donor islet cells cure diabetes after transplant.
- Diabetic pets can still live a dog's life.
- Halozyme Therapeutics to Present Data on its Ultrafast Insulin Programs at the Upcoming American Diabetes Association 71st Scientific Sessions.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:41
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.