Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel in Seattle, Washington from November 18-20, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa in Fort Lauderdale, Florida from December 30, 2011 - January 1, 2012.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference, to be held at the Philadelphia Marriott West in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania from February 25-26, 2012.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Insulindependence is seeking 22 kids and teens with type 1 diabetes from across the United States to participate in their Junior Captains program.
New This Week
- Presidential Proclamation -- National Diabetes Month, 2011.
- Last week's poll asked readers about what they usually use to treat hypoglycemia. This week's poll asks readers about what time of day they are most worried about hypoglycemia.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My older son Ross (11 years old) took out our pretend Harry Potter magic wand and did a spell for his brother (age 6) with diabetes. Ross said "pancreas repairus" and James laughed and laughed. He loves Harry Potter. You may be familiar with the occulus repairus spell that Hermoine does to Harry's glasses! If only Ross's spell worked!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find your five-year-old daughter testing the finger of her baby doll and saying "Uh-Oh, what did you eat?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
At 27 weeks of pregnancy, would a slightly elevated amniotic fluid index likely to be more from pre-existing, type 1 diabetes (concurrent A1c of 6.5) or from other causes?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Want to start pumping but scared!
Advocacy and Fundraising
- JDRF is kicking off the first annual T1Day on November 1, 2011.
- The University of Florida Diabetes Center is holding its 4th Annual "Blue Circle" Photo Contest.
Studies and Surveys
- Study investigating artificial Pancreas device using an automated insulin delivery system being used with medication targeting after meal high sugars is recruiting patients at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University in New York.
- How to Parent an Adolescent With Diabetes.
- Pregnant with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Age- and islet autoimmunity-associated differences in amino Acid and lipid metabolites in children at risk for type 1 diabetes.
- Helicobacter pylori infection might be responsible for the interconnection between type 1 diabetes and autoimmune thyroiditis.
- Metabolic Control and Bone Health in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Continued Reduction in the Prevalence of Retinopathy in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: Role of insulin therapy and glycemic control.
- Accuracy of a portable glucose meter and of a Continuous Glucose Monitoring device used at home by patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Dental caries-associated risk factors and type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Purchase of antidepressant agents by patients with type 1 diabetes is associated with increased mortality rates in women but not in men.
- Oral Findings and Salivary Parameters in Children with Celiac Disease: A Preliminary Study.
- IgA anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies, first line in the diagnosis of celiac disease.
- Gluten in Cosmetics Threaten Those With Celiac Disease. See also Gluten in cosmetics may pose risk for celiac patients.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Headliner: Helping companies and patients.
- La Jolla High School senior on track to raise thousands for type 1 diabetes research.
- Snowboarding iron man won't be stopped by diabetes.
- Rite Aid, LifeScan officially kick off Rite Track Diabetes Tour. See also Celebrity Chef Sam Talbot gets on board for diabetes testing and RITE TRACK Diabetes Tour.
- Nick Jonas and Bayer HealthCare Announce Winner of "Simple Inspirations" Contest.
- NIH awards group $4.5 million for smart artificial pancreas technology.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:42
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.