Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012. Family Scholarships and Young Adult Scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Scholarships are available for CWD's Friends for Life UK 2012 conference.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2012 Diabetes Scholars Foundation college scholarships are now available.
New This Week
- Families Tour Diabetes Research Institute.
- Last week's poll asked readers who use an insulin pump how often they change their infusion set. This week's poll asks readers how they dispose of their "sharp" medical waste at home.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Help With The Hard Stuff by Lauren W. Tolle, PhD, and William T. O'Donohue, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Living in Wisconsin, one really needs to make sure you have insulation in your house. I had some contractors come to give me an estimate of how much insulation I would need to have blown in. I asked the contractor, "So, how many bags of insulin will I need to make sure I have the proper amount of insulin in my house?" The contractor looked at me and said, "I think you mean insulation, not INSULIN."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you use EMLA on your eyebrows before you tweeze them. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
What criteria establishes the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes? Why would my daughter, who has type 1, have very high blood pressure? I read this is usually an issue for those with type 2.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Daycare and pump
- Camps for kids with diabetes offer a great learning experience. We've updated our list of camps to help you find a camp near you.
- The Students with Diabetes National Conference will be held from June 1-3, 2012 at the University of South Florida in Tampa. The registration form is online.
Advocacy and Fundraising
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is holding a Howl at the Moon fundraiser on Saturday July 7, 2012, 7:00 pm during CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2012 conference. Your financial support will help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation to provide scholarships to CWD's conferences and college scholarships to incoming freshmen.
Studies and Surveys
- The Juvenile Diabetes Cure Alliance seeks your input on a brief survey.
- Meet Logan Gregory: Young Diabetes Advocate Headed to the Capitol.
- When In Doubt, Look to Kevin.
- Learn about the importance of Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet.
- Health Nuts Media produced a video for kids called Understanding Diabetes.
- Summer Job Opportunity For College Student with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The College Diabetes Network has a list of job openings for college students and adults.
Products, Services and Books
- LifeScan recalls OneTouch® Verio™IQ Blood Glucose Meter (PDF).
- Persistence of Prolonged C-peptide Production in Type 1 Diabetes as Measured With an Ultrasensitive C-peptide Assay. See also Study finds some insulin production in long-term type 1 diabetes and Insulin production may persist for decades after onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Does severe hypoglycaemia influence microvascular complications in Type 1 diabetes? An analysis of the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial database.
- Abdominal adiposity and cardiovascular risk factors in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Pre-pregnancy body mass index and the risk of adverse outcome in type 1 diabetic pregnancies: a population-based cohort study.
- Celiac diagnosis drives gluten-free diet.
- Are gluten-free products a waste for those without celiac disease?
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Twins key to juvenile diabetes study at VU.
- Living with childhood diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes affects Community High students.
- Women told not to skip insulin jabs.
- Iredell family welcomes service dog for diabetic sons.
- Diabetic alert dogs can sniff out health problems.
- 911 Dispatcher Designs Diabetic Warning For Cars.
- After Death of Loved One, Blog Helps Rutgers Student Heal.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:43
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.