Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012. Family Scholarships and Young Adult Scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Scholarships are available for CWD's Friends for Life UK 2012 conference.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is holding a Howl at the Moon fundraiser on Saturday July 7, 2012, 7:00 pm during CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2012 conference. Your financial support will help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation to provide scholarships to CWD's conferences and college scholarships to incoming freshmen.
- Applications for the 2012 Diabetes Scholars Foundation college scholarships are now available.
New This Week
- CWD: Focus on Technology.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they experience discrimination among family or friends because of their diabetes. This week's poll asks pump users about how many basal rates they have.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our 9 year old son has had type 1 since he was three and has just started playing hockey. The team is having hockey photos taken next week. The required form asks "What is your favorite pro team?" Because I didn't know, I asked Jonathan what his favorite pro team was. He thought for a while and then answered "Fried Chicken." I looked at him funny and said "Fried Chicken is your favorite professional hockey team?" He laughed and said, "Oh, I thought you asked me what my favorite protein was!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child holds up a box in the grocery store and, when you ask "How much?", the nice bystander says "$2.99" and your child says, "15 carbs for one serving." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My 19-year-old daughter would like to take a four week class in Spain through her college. I am concerned about her counting carbohydrates in unfamiliar foods. Are the typical meals there much different than those in the U.S.?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
- On DOC Hope day: A story recalled.
- Advanced Technologies & Treatments For Diabetes (ATTD) 2012 Gives Updates On The Artificial Pancreas And The New T1D Exchange.
- Summer Job Opportunity For College Student with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Closed-loop insulin delivery: towards improved diabetes care. Free full text available in HTML format.
- The interplay of autoimmunity and insulin resistance in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Increasing Incidence and Age at Diagnosis among Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus over a 20-Year Period in Auckland (New Zealand).
- Glycotoxin and Autoantibodies Are Additive Environmentally Determined Predictors of Type 1 Diabetes; A Twin and Population Study.
- Immunology in the clinic review series; focus on type 1 diabetes and viruses: the enterovirus link to type 1 diabetes: critical review of human studies.
- A Methodological Description of a Randomised Controlled Trial Comparing Hospital-Based Care and Hospital-Based Home Care when a Child is Newly Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Clinic-Integrated Behavioral Intervention for Families of Youth With Type 1 Diabetes: Randomized Clinical Trial.
- A pilot test of a tailored mobile and web-based diabetes messaging system for adolescents.
- Analysis of the impact of environmental and social factors, with a particular emphasis on education, on the level of metabolic control in type 1 diabetes in children.
- Working with young adults with Type 1 diabetes: Views of a multidisciplinary care team and implications for service delivery.
- Minor manifestations of periodontal diseases in young adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Periodontal and microbiological findings.
- Sexual Functioning and Distress among Premenopausal Women with Uncomplicated Type 1 Diabetes.
- Living with coeliac disease: survey results from the USA.
- Food Questionnaire For Assessment of Gluten Intake For Children of 1-4 Years of Age.
- Single, Sexy and Gluten-Free: DNAinfo's Guide to Wheat-Free Dating.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Artificial pancreas gives girl a vacation from diabetes. See also NH Girl Tests Artificial Pancreas.
- Meter restrictions upset diabetics.
- Insulin pump transforms Graham’s life.
- Diabetes Research Institute Develops Revolutionary Oxygen-Generating Biomaterial to Enhance Islet Survival.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:43
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.