Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2012 conference, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 3-8, 2012. Family Scholarships and Young Adult Scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Scholarships are available for CWD's Friends for Life UK 2012 conference.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is holding a Howl at the Moon fundraiser on Saturday July 7, 2012, 7:00 pm during CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2012 conference. Your financial support will help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation to provide scholarships to CWD's conferences and college scholarships to incoming freshmen.
- Applications for the 2012 Diabetes Scholars Foundation college scholarships are now available.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked pump users about how many basal rates they have. This week's poll asks pump users about the infusion set they use most often.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Burnout: What To Do When You Can't Take It Anymore by William Polonsky.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 6-year-old diabetic granddaughter (Ashley) was explaining to her 4-yr old sister what it was like learning to read. What she meant to say was "First you start with basic reading." What she actually said was, "First you start with basal reading."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your non-D child refers to all numbers as carbs - "I'm 3 carbs old!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
After consuming a glucose drink, my daughter's blood glucose was elevated, then normal. She is thought to be honeymooning. Because she is asymptomatic, could she have something other than diabetes?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Question about after lunch number at school
- Police Training on Diabetes: Dwindling, If Anything.
- Communication is Key.
- Which Diabates Foundations Spend The Most In Each Category?
- Summer Job Opportunity For College Student with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Removal of Bovine Insulin From Cow's Milk Formula and Early Initiation of Beta-Cell Autoimmunity in the FINDIA Pilot Study.
- Effects of Diet Soda on Gut Hormones in Youths With Diabetes.
- Whole-Blood Tissue Factor Procoagulant Activity Is Elevated in Type 1 Diabetes and Effects of Hyperglycemia and Hyperinsulinemia.
- Association of Basal hyperglucagonemia with impaired glucagon counterregulation in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Autoantibodies and High-Risk HLA Susceptibility Markers in First-Degree Relatives of Brazilian Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Progression to Disease Based Study.
- Generation of functional insulin-producing cells in the gut by Foxo1 ablation. See also Gut Cells Turned To Insulin Factories - New Type l Diabetes Treatment.
- Use of an automated bolus calculator reduces fear of hypoglycemia and improves confidence in dosage accuracy in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus treated with multiple daily insulin injections.
- Perspectives of patients with type 1 or insulin-treated type 2 diabetes on self-monitoring of blood glucose: a qualitative study.
- Population-based study of severe hypoglycemia requiring emergency medical service assistance reveals unique findings.
- Prevalence of adults with type 1 diabetes who meet the goals of care in daily clinical practice: A nationwide multicenter study in Brazil.
- Are positive serum-IgA-tissue-transglutaminase antibodies enough to diagnose coeliac disease without a small bowel biopsy? Post-test probability of coeliac disease.
- Chef understands celiac challenges.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Give unused insulin to help diabetics without insurance.
- Norwalk family grows with the addition of diabetic alert dog.
- Finding their way: Diabetic preteens aim for summer cam.
- Medal given to Northampton woman who has had diabetes for 70 years.
- Team Type 1 boss ‘shocked’ at California exclusion.
- Insulindependence and the Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association Merge. See also the insulindependence web site.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:43
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.