Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2012 conference, to be held from August 24-26, 2012 at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas.
- Scholarships are available for CWD's Friends for Life UK 2012 conference.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have sought counseling to help cope with diabetes. This week's poll asks readers how they usually check for ketones.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Needles: A Memoir of Growing Up With Diabetes by Andie Dominick.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I came downstairs one afternoon and my son Max (age 10, dx 4 years ago) said, "Mom, I was 28!" I said "Oh my gosh (panic rising in my throat), did you get some juice? Do you need help?" "No," he said. "Not my blood sugar! 28 was my Wii Fit age!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your 10-year-old daughter looks at a beautiful, pinkish-purple sunset and declares, "That is so pretty! It looks like an infected site!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
How important is it to keep a log of carbohydrates eaten to determine blood sugar patterns? Our son was diagnosed in mid-December and we are still in the learning process.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
And the award for the first kid this summer to jump in the pool with his pump goes to....
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 735 panels. The Quilt will be shown next week at CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2012 conference.
Diabetes in School
- The American Diabetes Association invites parents of diabetes to participate in its back-to-school webinar on Tuesday, August 14th, at 8:00 PM (Eastern Time) led by ADA's Crystal Jackson and Joyce Boudoin, an ADA school advocate and parent of a child with diabetes. To register for the important and informative program go to https://cc.callinfo.com/r/11jnb0hc6e0ih.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Follow Friends for Life on Twitter - #FFL12.
- Once Upon a Time Contest Winner.
- Children With Diabetes Friends For Life 2012: I CAN'T WAIT.
- An Evolving Diabetes Online Community.
- Diabetes 101: Primer for the Friends and Family of the Newly Diagnosed.
- The Lilly Atmosphere.
- Unfortunate Timing: Motor Error.
- The American Diabetes Association has an opening for the position of Director, Legal Advocacy.
- Adoptive Transfer of Immunomodulatory M2 Macrophages Prevents Type 1 Diabetes in NOD Mice. See also Researchers prevent mice from developing diabetes.
- Long-Term Remission of Diabetes in NOD Mice Is Induced by Nondepleting Anti-CD4 and Anti-CD8 Antibodies.
- Influence of the glycemic index and glycemic load of the diet in the glycemic control of diabetic children and teenagers.
- Parental separation anxiety and diabetes self-management of older adolescents: a pilot study.
- Impaired Energy Expenditure Despite Normal Cardiovascular Capacity in Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The effect of deprivation and HbA(1c) on admission to hospital for diabetic ketoacidosis in type 1 diabetes.
- Bone mineralization in celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- An Update on Celiac Disease Histopathology and the Road Ahead. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Zonulin, regulation of tight junctions, and autoimmune diseases.
- Sex and racial disparities in duodenal biopsy to evaluate for celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Diabetes Reversed in Mice Using Stem Cells. See also University of B.C. scientists use embryonic stem cells to deal with Type 1 disease and Stem Cell Treatment for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetic alert dog becoming lifesaver for Myrtle Beach girl.
- Service dog helps Kansas girl manage diabetes.
- Dog ‘Rescues’ Union Family.
- Swimmers dive in to raise cash for charity.
- More Than Just a Summer Camp.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:44
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.