Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Sugar Land 2012 conference, to be held from October 12-14, 2012 at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Sugar Land Focus on Technology conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Registration is now open.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- The American Diabetes Association is seeking applications for the 2013 National Youth Advocate.
- The application for the 2013 JDRF Children's Congress is now online.
New This Week
- We report on CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2012 conference.
- The 2012 International Children with Diabetes Conference – Friends for Life.
- Last week's poll asked readers about how many times they've needed to use glucagon. This week's poll asks parents where their child checks their glucose while at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is A First Book for Understanding Diabetes (companion to the 12th Edition of "Understanding Diabetes") by H. Peter Chase, MD and David M. Maahs, MD, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our 11 year old, recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, treats a low with 3 marshmallows. Her 10 year old cousin saw Grandpa snacking on marshmallows this week and said to him, "I didn't know you also had diabetes."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your daughter asks, "Can I get some ketchup to go with my test strips?" instead of her chicken strips. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
After 54 years with diabetes, I am in good control. Lately, I have "pins and needles" in my hands and feet. Are these sensations related to diabetes?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Glucagon at school
- Parent's of Children with Type 1 Diabetes in northern New Jersey is a new group at Meetup.com.
Advocacy and Fundraising
- Calling for Big Blue Test grant proposals.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- An In-Depth Look at the Faustman Lab Research – Part 2.
- Down to the Wire.
- Gina Capone: How Pregnancy with Diabetes Saved My Life.
- The FDA Comment that Got Away... or Maybe Not.
- Life with a Diabetic Alert Dog - Part 1 and .
Products, Services and Books
- Lilly Diabetes Launches Mobile App for Type 1 Diabetes Support. You can download the glucagon app in the iTunes store.
- GlucoGear offers glucose tracking journals.
- Maturation of Human Embryonic Stem Cell–Derived Pancreatic Progenitors Into Functional Islets Capable of Treating Pre-existing Diabetes in Mice. See also UBC scientists reverse diabetes in mice using stem-cell transplants.
- Insulin resistance in multiple tissues in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus on long term continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy.
- A strategy for combining minor genetic susceptibility genes to improve prediction of disease in type 1 diabetes.
- Type I diabetes among children and young adults: the role of country of birth, socioeconomic position and sex.
- Factors That Influence Parental Attitudes toward Enrollment in Type 1 Diabetes Trials. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Ascorbic acid blocks hyperglycemic impairment of endothelial function in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Quality Of Life Of Children With Type 1 Diabetes: A Systematic Review.
- Exercise might improve cardiovascular autonomic regulation in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Can Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems Predict Glycemia?
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for the treatment of depression and adherence in patients with type 1 diabetes: pilot data and feasibility.
- The risk of proliferative retinopathy in siblings with Type 1 diabetes.
- Successful management of allergy to the insulin excipient metacresol in a child with type 1 diabetes: a case report. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Variation between countries in the frequency of diabetic ketoacidosis at first presentation of type 1 diabetes in children: a systematic review.
- Celiac disease immunotherapy that would replace a gluten-free diet begins clinical trials.
- 12 Ways to Eat Gluten-Free on the Road.
- The role of intestinal alkaline phosphatase in pediatric inflammatory bowel and celiac diseases.
- Recent advances in the development of new treatments for celiac disease.
- Celiac disease and selected long-term health issues.
Legal and Legislative
- American Diabetes Association Applauds D.C. Public Schools Agreement and D.C. Department of Health Rulemaking to Ensure Children with Diabetes are Safe at School.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- 18-year-old diabetic finishes Ironman.
- Local teen with diabetes establishes fund to help children receiving medical care.
- Dogs warns boy when diabetic dangers arise.
- Little League Champ Won't Let Diabetes Hold Him Back.
- Friend learns about diabetes.
- Pilots With Diabetes To Set National Speed Record.
- Helmsley Charitable Trust Sustainability Grant Awarded to Diabetes Hands Foundation.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:45
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.