Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City, Virginia, from February 1-3, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2013 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada, from March 8-10, 2013.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2013 conference, to be held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland from 5-7 April, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Insulindependence is now accepting applications for its 2012-2013 Junior Captain program. This is an exceptional opportunity for young people, ages 9-18, with type 1 diabetes.
New This Week
- Yes Virginia, There Will be a Cure! A Take on a Classic Tale for a Diabetes Cure.
- Last week's poll asked readers how concerned they are about their children being able to pay for their diabetes care products when they are adults. This week's poll asks readers how much time they spend each day on diabetes related tasks.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Rising: How a Rare Disease Became a Modern Pandemic, and What to Do About It by Dan Hurley.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I just started work at a company where the majority of people have type 1 diabetes. I do not, but my 13 year old son does. I told him that the National Sales Meeting dinner was like being at diabetes camp. He quickly asked me, "So did you ask all of them if they tested and dosed before dinner?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child asks you if "water proof" means "toilet proof" in reference to the pump. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
At 27 weeks of pregnancy, would a slightly elevated amniotic fluid index likely to be more from pre-existing, type 1 diabetes (current A1c of 6.5) or from other causes?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
"Reasonable" Number of test strips per month?
Studies and Surveys
- Are you the spouse or partner of someone with type 1 diabetes? The Behavioral Diabetes Institute is developing the first ever, Web-based program to address the emotional stresses of spouses and partners just like you. But we need your help! To develop this program, we need partners to complete an online, anonymous, 15 – 20 minute questionnaire. We will use these results to help us understand how partners are struggling and how we can help. These findings will then be used to build the final online program. When completed in early 2013, this program will be available to partners all over the world at no cost. If you might be willing to participate, please go to http://behavioraldiabetesinstitute.org/Just-For-Partners-Program.html for further information.
- Parents are invited to participate in a brief online survey about the affect of the legal system on the health care provided to students with type 1 diabetes in public elementary and middle schools.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Apidra and the t:slim.
- Pregnancy with Diabetes: Where Can I Clip My Pump?
- Bringing Simplicity to Insulin Pumping: The Making of Tandem’s t:slim.
- FDA Speaks Out on the DiabetesMine Innovation Summit (!)
- A CDE on Diabetes Innovation: “Proficiency Before Products”.
- Life, Death and the Birth of Marjorie's Fund.
- Diabetes and Social Media: Helping Patients or Drug Companies?
Products, Services and Books
- Carbs & Cals & Fat & Fiber Counter (USA Edition) is a new, easy-to-use book to help you get carb counts correct.
- Molecular anatomy and number of antigen specific CD8 T cells required to cause type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pancreas Organ Weight in Individuals With Disease-Associated Autoantibodies at Risk for Type 1 Diabetes. See also UF researchers: Understanding pancreas size may help unlock cause of Type 1 diabetes.
- Treatment with the long-acting insulin analogues detemir or glargine during pregnancy in women with type 1 diabetes: Comparison of glycaemic control and pregnancy.
- QTc and QTd in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus during Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Subclinical Cerebral Edema in Children With Diabetic Ketoacidosis Randomized to 2 Different Rehydration Protocols.
- Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion allows tolerance induction and diabetes treatment in a type 1 diabetic child with insulin allergy.
- The Effect of Excess Weight Gain with Intensive Diabetes Treatment on Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors and Atherosclerosis in Type 1 Diabetes: Results from the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial / Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications Study (DCCT/EDIC) Study.
- Prospective Antibody Case Finding of Celiac Disease in Type-1 Diabetes Children. Need of Biopsy Revisited.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Longest surviving type 1 diabetes sufferer tells her story.
- Scientists aim to treat autoimmune diseases with worm-based therapy.
- Artificial Pancreas Studies Bring New Found Freedom to People with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Lady Mocs' Kayla Christopher dealing with diabetes.
- Service Dogs Pick Up Scent of Diabetes Danger.
- 12-year-old diabetic who cycled around nation to star in Roche TV commercial.
- Diabetes doesn’t slow girl’s activities.
- Diabetic youngsters find camaraderie at events.
- Lockport teacher's book raising diabetes awareness.
- The trouble with teens and diabetes ....
- If We Had Been Giving Our Daughter Vitamin D, Would She Still Have Developed Diabetes?
- T1D Exchange Announces Appointment of Dana Ball as Chief Executive Officer.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:46
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.