Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology conference at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City, Virginia, from February 1-3, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2013 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada, from March 8-10, 2013.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2013 conference, to be held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland from 5-7 April, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Note that sessions begin on Wednesday, July 10. Family scholarships and Young Adult scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
New This Week
- Applications for the 2013 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online. Applications must be received by May 15, 2013.
- Applications for Family scholarships and Young Adult scholarships for CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference are now available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Natalie is seven and was diagnosed when she was four.
- Last week's poll asked readers how they think type 1 diabetes will be cured first. This week's poll asks readers how often they worry about nocturnal hypoglycemia.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Kids First Diabetes Second: Tips for Parents a Child with Type 1 Diabetes by Leighann Calentine.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I received a little reminder of my daughter away at college: One rainy morning I grabbed a different umbrella on my way to work. As I released the fastener in preparation for opening it in the parking garage elevator, three test strips fell on the floor.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you meet the boyfriend for the first time and you start telling him how to treat lows before you say hello. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Our primary physician and I are concerned about my young daughter's elevated A1cs while the endocrinologist is not. What do you recommend? Should I seek a second opinion?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Pump or CGM? Can only pick one.
Studies and Surveys
- Are you the spouse or partner of someone with type 1 diabetes? The Behavioral Diabetes Institute is developing the first ever, Web-based program to address the emotional stresses of spouses and partners just like you. But we need your help! To develop this program, we need partners to complete an online, anonymous, 15 – 20 minute questionnaire. We will use these results to help us understand how partners are struggling and how we can help. These findings will then be used to build the final online program. When completed in early 2013, this program will be available to partners all over the world at no cost. If you might be willing to participate, please go to http://behavioraldiabetesinstitute.org/Just-For-Partners-Program.html for further information.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Sticking with the Dexcom G4?
- The Clock’s Ticking on New D-Products for 2013.
- Type 1 Diabetes + Food & Body Issues + Social Media + Creativity = VIAL Project.
- Clotted Dexcom Sensor.
- Hypoglycemia Hangover.
- The one where I remember the correct order: Happy, Fulfilled, Healthy.
- Helminth mediated modulation of Type 1 diabetes (T1D).
- C-peptide in diabetes diagnosis and therapy.
- Cell-based interventions to halt autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Long term reversal of diabetes in non obese diabetic mice by liver-directed gene therapy.
- Influence of the vitamin D plasma level and vitamin D-related genetic polymorphisms on the immune status of patients with type 1 diabetes: a pilot study.
- Metabolic control of insulin detemir in basal-bolus therapy: treat-to-target study in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Continuous glucose monitoring: current clinical use.
- Impact of Telemedicine Assessment on Glycemic Variability in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Triglyceride-cholesterol imbalance across lipoprotein subclasses predicts diabetic kidney disease and mortality in type 1 diabetes: the FinnDiane Study.
- Children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes and high HbA1c - a neurodevelopmental perspective.
- Differences in marital communication and parental attitudes between parents of healthy children and parents of children with type 1 diabetes.
- Current clinical status, glucose control, and complication rates of children and youth with type 1 diabetes in Rwanda.
- Home urine C-peptide creatinine ratio testing can identify type 2 and MODY in pediatric diabetes.
- A Legal Victory for Celiacs.
- Celiac Disease And Depression | Gluten Free Traveller.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Walter and Eliza Hall Institute researchers solve insulin mystery.
- Living with type 1 diabetes.
- Quick-thinking daughter, 6, saves diabetic father's life by feeding him jelly babies after realising he was about to fall into coma.
- Our World: Service dog sniffs out girl's diabetes.
- Diabetes service dog saves man's life.
- Outside the Game: Jay Cutler inspires others with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Lilly Diabetes supports Diabetes Scholars Foundation with $100,000 donation in 2013.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Announces Partnership with JDRF to Develop Novel Dual-Chamber Infusion Pump.
- $11.8 million contract funds microbiome work in type 1 diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:46
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.