Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2013 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada, from March 8-10, 2013.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2013 conference, to be held at the Glasgow Marriott Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland from 5-7 April, 2013. Family scholarships are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from July 9-14, 2013. Note that sessions begin on Wednesday, July 10. Scholarships for families who have children with type 1, adults with type 1 or LADA and their families, and young adults with type 1, are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2013 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online. Applications must be received by May 15, 2013.
- Coming to Friends for Life: Orlando 2013? You can help the Diabetes Scholars Foundation by attending their fundraiser, Making Magic For Many, on the evening of Saturday, July 13th.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers how they dispose of their sharps at home. This week's poll asks readers if they experience discrimination from family or friends because of diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is A First Book for Understanding Diabetes (companion to the 12th Edition of "Understanding Diabetes") by H. Peter Chase, MD and David M. Maahs, MD, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I'm 21 and a newly diagnosed. I took my uncle's cat to the vet for her weekly Feline Diabetes checkup. One of the kids in the waiting room asked what the cat was in for. I told her, "A diabetes check up." I had to check my sugar just then and she asked what I was doing. I told her I was also diabetic. Her reply was, "It runs in the Family?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child refers to sequel movies as "Type 2." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen son says it is not fair to punish him for behavior that occurs when his blood sugar is quite elevated. Is there a specific blood sugar reading beyond which he cannot control his anger?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How do you handle Birthday Parties?
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 741 panels. The next showing is at Friends for Life: Orlando 2013 in July. If you'd like to make a quilt and have it in the display, the quilt must be received by CWD before July 1, 2013.
- Camps for kids with diabetes offer a great learning experience. We've updated our list of camps to help you find a camp near you.
- The 2013 JDRF Type 1 Diabetes Research Summit will be held on Saturday, March 9, 2013 at the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Convention Center in Bethesda, Maryland. Registration is free, though donations to JDRF to help defray the cost of the program are gladly accepted.
- The Diabetes Sisters 2013 Weekend for Women in Raleigh is scheduled for May 3-5, 2013 at the Raleigh Sheraton.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- How Illness Can Make Us Better.
- TuDiabetes Live Interview with Ginger Vieira.
- In Loco Pancreas.
- Humalog vs. Novolog.
- Insulin Pump Therapy, Body Image and Self- Esteem in Female Adolescents: A Study.
- Diabetes Camps.
- Diabetes and Eating Disorders: Fellow PWD Shares Her Diabulimia Story.
- Gut microbiota in children with type 1 diabetes differs from that in healthy children: a case-control study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Revisiting the notion of type 1 diabetes being a T-cell-mediated autoimmune disease.
- Immune Therapy and beta-Cell Death in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Reactivation of latent viruses in individuals receiving rituximab for new onset type 1 diabetes.
- Proinsulin/Insulin Autoantibodies Measured With Electrochemiluminescent Assay Are the Earliest Indicator of Prediabetic Islet Autoimmunity .
- More people needed for type 1 diabetes vaccine study.
- Continuous glucose monitors: current status and future developments.
- Comparison of the Effect of Insulin Glulisine to Insulin Aspart on Breakfast Postprandial Blood Glucose Levels in Children with Type 1 DM on Multiple Daily Injections.
- Absorption patterns of meals containing complex carbohydrates in type 1 diabetes.
- Coping and Psychological Distress in Mothers of Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Depression, disturbed eating behavior, and metabolic control in teenage girls with type 1 diabetes.
- Impact of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes on schooling: a population-based register study.
- Social Networking and Understanding Alcohol-Associated Risk for People with Type 1 Diabetes: Friend or Foe?
- Long-Term Glycemic Control as a Result of Initial Education for Children With New Onset Type 1 Diabetes: Does the Setting Matter?
- Patient-Centered Outcomes of a Value-Based Insurance Design Program for Patients with Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Eliminating insurance co-payments can improve medication adherence and management of diabetes.
- Diabetes Care, Glycemic Control,Complications and Concomitant Autoimmune Diseases in Children with Type 1 Diabetes in Turkey: A Multicenter Study.
- Hepatitis B vaccine in celiac disease: Yesterday, today and tomorrow. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Who Has the Guts for Gluten?
- 13-year-old with celiac disease becomes 'gluten-free' baker. See also Eternally Gluten Free.
- Sorghum, a healthy and gluten-free food for celiac patients as demonstrated by genome, biochemical and immunochemical analyses.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Volunteer from Capital High wins national award.
- Ski event raises money for diabetes.
- How much do you know about diabetes? Let a 9-year-old Manlius boy fill you in.
- Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- t:connect Application receives FDA Clearance.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:46
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.