Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2013, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from December 6-8, 2013. Faculty include Henry Anhalt, DO, Ed Damiano, PhD, Korey Hood, PhD, Jeremy Pettus, MD, Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD, CDE, Marissa Town, BSN, RN, Natalie Bellini, BSN, RN, CDE, and Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE, who was named AADE's 2013 Diabetes Educator of the Year.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers about their plans for Halloween. This week's poll asks our readers if they have ever been denied health insurance because of diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Life as a Pancreas: Reflections on Raising a Child with Diabetes by Priscilla Call Essert.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My daughter Ashley is 9 and has a cell phone. One night I was downstairs cleaning up and kids were upstairs trying to sleep. Ashley came downstairs and inadvertently scared me and as a reaction I sent her back to bed. A few minutes later I received a text from her "ias iwgtsgn." Thinking she was severely hypo (didn't understand the abbreviations) I ran upstairs. She meant "I am sorry. I was going to say good night." Hugs and kisses followed along with a good laugh.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when everyone in the family says they are "low" instead of hungry! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
After almost seven years with type 1, my young adult son had his vitamin D level checked in January. It was low, but I was surprised that it had never been checked before. What is the correlation between vitamin D and diabetes control/complications? Do adequate vitamin D levels impact diabetes?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
What kind of increased need for insulin do you see when sickness hits?
Support and Advocacy
- AYUDA's summer 2014 Dominican Republic program applications are now live. Now offering Early Acceptance for applications completed by November 1, 2013. Please visit our application guide, or check out the program descriptions for Ganemosle and Campo Amigo. Find out when an AYUDA info session is coming to your town, and come join us to learn more!
Studies and Surveys
- The University of Pennsylvania is finishing data collection on its severe hypoglycemia survey this week. If you have a child with diabetes and haven't yet participated, please do so now – we are so close to reaching our goal!. Parents of children with diabetes are encouraged to participate in this 10 min survey. Thank you very much to all of our prior participants!
Diabetes in School
- Crystal Jackson, Director of the American Diabetes Association's Safe at School Campaign and CWD mom, will be presenting a Safe at School workshop for parents on Tuesday, November 5, 2013, 6:00 pm, at the Washington Nationals Diabetes Care Complex at Children's National Medical Center, 111 Michigan Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20010. For more information and to register please go to www.diabetes.org/safeatschooldc.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Blue Candles: Is it time for our community to develop etiquette around them?
- My Overwhelming First Days with a Dexcom CGM.
- When Diabetes Technologies Fail.
- The majority of patients with long-duration type 1 diabetes are insulin microsecretors and have functioning beta cells.
- Characterization of residual beta-cell function in long standing type 1 diabetes.
- Age-dependent decline of beta cell function in type 1 diabetes after diagnosis: a multi-centre longitudinal study.
- Early immunotherapy using autologous adult stem cells reversed the effect of anti-pancreatic islets in recently diagnosed type 1 diabetes mellitus: Preliminary results.
- Effect of a single autologous cord blood infusion on beta-cell and immune function in children with new onset type 1 diabetes: a non-randomized, controlled trial.
- Islet transplantation in type 1 diabetes: hype, hope and reality - a clinician's perspective.
- Autoimmune, neurological, and venous thromboembolic adverse events after immunisation of adolescent girls with quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine in Denmark and Sweden: cohort study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Bolus calculator and wirelessly communicated blood glucose meter effectively reduce hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetic children - randomized controlled trial.
- Prevalence of impaired awareness of hypoglycemia and identification of predictive symptoms in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- A high mean-HbA1c value 3-15 months after diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in childhood is related to metabolic control, macroalbuminuria, and retinopathy in early adulthood-a pilot study using two nation-wide population based quality registries.
- Socioeconomic Factors Associated With Pediatric Diabetic Ketoacidosis Admissions in Southern West Virginia.
- Improving Depression Screening for Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- General practice-recorded depression and antidepressant use in young people with newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetes: a cohort study using the Clinical Practice Research Datalink.
- A psychosocial risk index for poor glycemic control in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Early Feeding and Risk of Celiac Disease in a Prospective Birth Cohort.
- Early elevation of albumin excretion rate is associated with poor gluten-free diet adherence in young people with coeliac disease and diabetes.
- Consumption of gluten with gluten-degrading enzyme by celiac patients: A pilot-study.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Coping with type 1 diabetes.
- Oregon diabetic refused insulin, civilly committed.
- PureTech Ventures, JDRF Team Up to Form Type 1 Diabetes Startup Creator.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:48
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.