Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida, from July 1-6, 2014. Conference registration is now open.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is once again offering scholarships to CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014
- UK families are invited to CWD's Friends for Life UK 2014 conference, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire, from August 15-17, 2014. Beaumont House is accepting room reservations now, and conference registration will be online in February.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for College Scholarships from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation are now being accepted and must be received by April 15, 2014.
- Applications for the 2014 Students With Diabetes Internship Program are due by February 3, 2014.
- The FDA has issues Self-Monitoring Blood Glucose Test Systems for Over-the-Counter Use Draft Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff. See also Proposed New Meter Guidance from FDA: +/- 15% OTC and +/- 10% In Clinic.
- Awareness Saves Lives is working to raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. See also Ignoring the Top 3 Signs of Diabetes Can Be Fatal.
New This Week
- Coming to Friends for Life Orlando 2014? Please join your friends at the Diabetes Scholars Foundation's Party Polynesian Style Fundraiser.
- Share your thoughts on integrating insulin pumps with smart phones and tablets.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Initiates Voluntary Recall for Specific Lots of Insulin Cartridges Used with t:slim Insulin Pump.
- The American Diabetes Association has updated its web site.
- Last week's poll asked our readers about how often they are concerned about nighttime hypoglycemia. This week's poll asks our readers about the insulins they use.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Raising Teens with Diabetes: A Survival Guide for Parents by Moira McCarthy.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We recently moved to a new home with pool. I was getting ready to take my non-diabetic 3 year old swimming. She was waiting patiently on the deck while I checked the chlorine level with a pool test-strip. She watches me read the strip and then says, "Can we swim mommy or does the pool have ketones?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you you go through a drive-in at Dunkin' Donuts and see the sign that said "High Curb" and you start laughing because you think it said "HIGH CARB." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son was diagnosed with type 1 four months ago. After his first dose of Focalin for his ADHD, his blood sugar was elevated after breakfast. Is it related to the medication?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
- Make plans to attend The JDRF TypeOneNation DC Research Summit, to be held at the Bethesda North Marriott on Saturday, March 1, 2014. Attendance is free.
Diabetes in School
- The American Diabetes Association and College Diabetes Network are hosting a webinar on Know Your Rights-for College Students with Diabetes on Wednesday, February 5, 2014, from 8:00-9:00 PM Eastern time.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- HelpAround: A Crowdsourced Safety Net for People With Diabetes.
- If I Knew Then: Insulin Pumps.
- Medtronic Diabetes Advocate Forum 2014.
- Medtronic Diabetes Advocate Forum: My view.
- 2014 Diabetes Advocates Forum: Part 1.
- Medtronic Diabetes Advocate Forum: Meaning Trumped Marketing.
- Things that Happened at the Medtronic Diabetes Advocate Forum.
- Moving Mountains: Medtronic Diabetes Advocates Forum.
- Family History: Four Generations of Insulin Dependence.
- Glycemic Variability Is Higher in Type 1 Diabetes Patients with Microvascular Complications Irrespective of Glycemic Control.
- Low HERV-K(C4) Copy Number is Associated with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Comparing Dosing of Basal Insulin Analogues Detemir and Glargine: Is It Really Unit-Per-Unit and Dose-Per-Dose?
- Association between magnesium concentration and HbA1c in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Identifying targets to reduce the incidence of diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in the UK.
- Temporality and use of discussion forums in type 1 diabetes: contribution to therapeutic patient education.
- Usefulness of Symptoms to Screen for Celiac Disease. See also Rethinking Strategies to Screen for Celiac Disease.
- Potential coeliac disease in Type 1 diabetes mellitus: Does a positive antibody lead to increased complications?
- Sampling of proximal and distal duodenal biopsies in the diagnosis and monitoring of celiac disease.
- New Test Could Simplify Diagnosis of Celiac Disease.
Legal and Legislative
- Children with diabetes: Virginia families fight for rights.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Notable Diabetes Advocates Join Diabetes Hands Foundation Board.
- Downhill for Diabetes born through love of slopes.
- Why do some people develop type 1 diabetes rapidly while others at risk do not?
- Golfers set to tee off for juvenile diabetes research.
- Team Type 1 Foundation Partners with Rwandan Ministry of Health.
- Dexcom's Innovative Diabetes Monitoring Device Recognized For Outstanding Achievement at Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:49
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.