Of Continuing Interest
- Join your CWD friends and family for a Memorial Day Weekend at Rosen Shingle Creek in Orlando, Florida.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida, from July 1-6, 2014.
- Coming to Friends for Life Orlando 2014? Please join your friends at the Diabetes Scholars Foundation's Party Polynesian Style Fundraiser.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Anaheim 2014 conference, to be held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California, from October 24-26, 2014.
New This Week
- GenStrip Blood Glucose Test Strips by Shasta Technologies: FDA Safety Communication - May Report False Results. See also FDA Warning Letter to Shasta Technologies, as well as Third Party Strips â€“ Who is Accountable?
- Last week's poll asked our readers how often they get a retinal photograph. This week's poll asks parents about how soon after diagnosis they began going out again.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Burnout: What To Do When You Can't Take It Anymore by William Polonsky, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our 9 year old son has had type 1 since he was three and has just started playing hockey. The team is having hockey photos taken next week. The required form asks "What is your favorite pro team?" Because I didn't know, I asked Jonathan what his favorite pro team was. He thought for a while and then answered "Fried Chicken." I looked at him funny and said "Fried Chicken is your favorite professional hockey team?" He laughed and said, "Oh, I thought you asked me what my favorite protein was!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the stray dog who has parked himself on your deck has only been there 10 minutes and already has a test strip attached to his fur! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Since getting a Depo Provera shot for her PCOS, my daughter's blood sugars have remained between 300 and 600 mg/dl [16.7 and 33.3 mmol/L]. Is this from the shot? How long will this last?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Arms for pump site question
- Get your own Peace, Love & Insulin Tee and help support the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
Studies and Surveys
- Ruth Gomez, a graduate student at Chapman University, is conducting a research study about conversations between parents and their children with type 1 diabetes. She is especially interested in learning more about parent perceptions, concerns, and awareness about mental health complications resulting from type 1 diabetes. Ruth is looking for parents and/or legal guardians residing in Orange County, California with children who have been living with type 1 diabetes for over a year. Participants will be asked to sit for one interview session lasting approximately 90 minutes. The interviews will be audio taped and will take place in the comfort and convenience of the participant's home. If you would like to participate and don't live in Orange County, please contact Ruth via email at .
- The Celiac Disease Genomic Environmental Microbiome and Metabolomic Study enrolls infants who have a first-degree relative with celiac disease.
- Michele Palk, Master of Psychology student in Toronto, Ontario, seeks kids age 10 or over to participate in a survey on their Memories of Being Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. This survey is designed to help improve how health care professionals talk with young kids about type 1 diabetes at diagnosis.
- Qessential Medical is conducting a confidential online study among adults who have been diagnosed with Diabetes and those caring for children who have been diagnosed with Diabetes. If you qualify and complete the online survey, you will receive a monetary incentive for your time and participation. Contact Rebekah@QMMR.net or visit www.QMMR.net for more information.
- A clinical study for a new needle-free glucagon for treatment of severe hypoglycemia in children is being conducted at several centers in the US. Of particular interest is kids ages 4-7. If you are interested in learning more about this study, please visit clinicaltrials.gov.
- PediaConnect, an early stage company with headquarters in Silicon Valley, is running an online survey for parents of kids with type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Puffing Glucagon Up Your Nose.
- Benno Gets Inked.
- Babysitting a Child with Diabetes.
- LADA and GAD: Diagnosing Type 1.5 Diabetes.
- Overnight Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Young People With Type 1 Diabetes: A Free-Living, Randomized Clinical Trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- First Use of Model Predictive Control in Outpatient Wearable Artificial Pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Systems: Engineering the Algorithms. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Systems: Physiological Input to Enhance Next-Generation Devices. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Insulin pump therapy in youth with type 1 diabetes: toward closed-loop systems.
- Treatment of Recent-Onset Type 1 Diabetic Patients With DiaPep277: Results of a Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Randomized Phase 3 Trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Long term effect of gut microbiota transfer on diabetes development.
- Characterization of Circulating and Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Patients With Extreme-Duration Type 1 Diabetes.
- Molecular signatures differentiate immune states in Type 1 diabetes families.
- Dipeptidyl peptidase-IV inhibition prevents blood-retinal barrier breakdown, inflammation and neuronal cell death in the retina of type 1 diabetic rats.
- Altered glucose metabolism in mouse and humans conceived by in-vitro fertilization (IVF).
- Frequency of Morning Ketosis After Overnight Insulin Suspension Using an Automated Nocturnal Predictive Low Glucose Suspend System. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Associations of Nutrient Intake with Glycemic Control in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: Differences by Insulin Regimen.
- Is the Masked Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Clinically Useful for Predicting Hemoglobin A1C in Type 1 Diabetes?
- Frequency, severity and risk indicators of retinopathy in patients with diabetes screened by fundus photographs: a study from primary health care.
- Paediatric diabetes: information-seeking behaviours of families.
- Increased Prevalence of Celiac Disease Among Pediatric Patients With Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A 6-Year Prospective Cohort Study.
- Sensory Evaluation And Acceptability Of Gluten-Free Andean Corn Spaghetti.
- Enjoy a gluten-free stay on the Las Vegas Strip.
- Migraines show a link to gluten in some cases.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Riding the globe: Whitefish man becomes first person with diabetes to backcountry snowboard on all 7 continents.
- Life With Diabetes: Baseball's Cory Vaughn.
- Diabetes is not as simple as it appears.
- Northwood pair overcome diabetes to compete.
- Discovering Diabetes.
- A memorable last Spring Fling for Lucas family.
- MacArthur: Diabetes contributing to McGowan's fatigue.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:50
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.