Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014 will be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida, from July 1-6, 2014.
- If you are coming to Friends for Life Orlando 2014 and are interested in diabetes advocacy, consider signing up for the MasterLab Diabetes Advocates all-day diabetes advocacy summit. Registered participants in FFL can register for the MasterLab for FREE using the discount code FFL2014.
- Pump trials, TrialNet screening, celiac screening, and retinal screening are available at Friends for Life 2014.
- Coming to Friends for Life Orlando 2014? Please join your friends at the Diabetes Scholars Foundation's Party Polynesian Style Fundraiser.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Anaheim 2014 conference, to be held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California, from October 24-26, 2014.
New This Week
- Children with Diabetes Hires Director of Development and Communications.
- Kids ages 6-11 are needed for Bionic Pancreas trials this summer. Kids in the study will need to stay at either Camp Clara Barton or Camp Joslin for two weeks. The study in the girls' camp (Clara Barton Camp) takes place July 19 - Aug 1 and the study in the boys' camp (Camp Joslin) takes place Aug 2 - Aug 15.
- ISPAD needs volunteers for their 2014 conference, to be held in Toronto from September 3-6, 2014.
- Last week's poll asked our readers if they have considered adding medications designed for people with type 2 diabetes to their diabetes care regimen. This week's poll asks our readers to tell us about themselves.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Control of Your Diabetes, 4th Edition by Steven V. Edelman, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 6-year-old diabetic granddaughter (Ashley) was explaining to her 4-year old sister what it was like learning to read. What she meant to say was "First you start with basic reading." What she actually said was, "First you start with basal reading."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you are talking about a friend's car problem as "He needs to fix his carbohydrates" instead of carburetor. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I have had type 1 for 21 years. My son is close to a diagnosis of "prediabetes." What do you suggest we do to keep the disease from progressing?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Thinking of switching to Omnipod for the summer
- Ask D'Mine: DKA Detective.
- You can help pediatric endocrinologist Stephen Ponder, MD, to realize Sugar Surfing - The Book.
Diabetes in School
- American Diabetes Association's Legal Advocacy eNewsletter Now Available:
Read the latest edition of Diabetes Docket: Legal Advocacy eNews, with important updates about new Safe at School® laws in Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee, and how planning ahead can help keep children with diabetes safer on school field trips. You'll also learn tips to help people with diabetes travel more easily through U.S. airports and about diabetes on the job.
- Seeking Maryland Parents willing to share how your childâ€™s diabetes is managed at school and/or if your child is encountering any difficulties in getting the help he or she needs at school. Please contact Crystal Jackson at the American Diabetes Association at email@example.com.
- Pennsylvania School Diabetes Care Legislation Now Pending - Legislation that would allow for school staff to be trained to help with routine or emergency care when the school nurse is not present is pending in the legislature. If you would like additional information or would like to be involved, please contact Crystal Jackson at the American Diabetes Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- ADA Tweet Up for DOC. See also Join the #DOC at #2104ADA.
- Figwee: An App I Might Actually Use.
- Video: Diabetes Complications.
- When Your Doctor is Diabetes Dumb.
- 10 Things Not to Say to a Person with Diabetes.
- CGM in the Cloud First Look.
- Big Endo Groups Plan Meeting on D-Device Accuracy & Access.
- Hydrolyzed Infant Formula and Early Î²-Cell Autoimmunity A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Anti-infective medication use before and after the onset of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents: a population-based cohort study.
- Safety of closed-loop therapy during reduction or omission of meal boluses in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: Randomised clinical trial.
- Retinal Vessel Calibers Predict Long-term Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: The Danish Cohort of Pediatric Diabetes 1987 (DCPD1987).
- Microaneurysm count as a predictor of long-term progression in diabetic retinopathy in young patients with type 1 diabetes: the Danish Cohort of Pediatric Diabetes 1987 (DCPD1987).
- Comparison of the prevalence of islet autoantibodies according to age and disease duration in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Epigenetic analyses of the insulin-like growth factor binding protein 1 gene in type 1 diabetes and diabetic nephropathy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Serum glycated albumin as a new glycemic marker in pediatric diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Single-Donor Islet Transplantation and Long-term Insulin Independence in Select Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Performance characterization of an abiotic and fluorescent-based continuous glucose monitoring system in patients with type 1 diabetes. See also Senseonics web site.
- Contrasting the clinical care and outcomes of 2,622 children with type 1 diabetes less than 6 years of age in the United States T1D Exchange and German/Austrian DPV registries.
- Psychosocial Burden and Glycemic Control During the First 6 Years of Diabetes: Results From the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. See also Researchers: Doctors should talk to teens with diabetes about mental health at every check up and Poor quality of life may affect teens' diabetes management.
- Oxidative stress in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: is it affected by a single bout of prolonged exercise? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Interpersonal Engagement Mediates the Relation between Maternal Affect and Externalising Behaviour in Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Decrease in clinical hypoglycemia in young children with type 1 diabetes treated with free-mixed aspart and detemir insulin: an open labeled randomized trial.
- Improved Glycemic Control and Risk of ESRD in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes and Proteinuria.
- Health Risks of Young Adult Travelers With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Lipid profile and correlation to cardiac risk factors and cardiovascular function in type 1 adolescent diabetics from a developing country. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Equal access to health care may diminish the differences in outcome between native and immigrant patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Difficulties associated with diabetes management during the Junior Certificate examination.
- Treatment of both native and deamidated gluten peptides with an endo-peptidase from Aspergillus niger prevents stimulation of gut-derived gluten-reactive T cells from either children or adults with celiac disease.
- Results from Ad Hoc and Routinely Collected Data among Celiac Women with Infertility or Pregnancy Related Disorders: Italy, 2001-2011. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Diabetes researcher leaving UPMC for Allegheny Health Network institute.
- Brave Elland tot Phoebe Malbon battles Type 1 diabetes with FIVE injections every day.
- London boy builds a better book on diabetes for kids.
- Joslin Diabetes Center Introduces Joslin Institute for Technology Translation (JITT); Dexcom, Inc. signs on as first JITT Founding Member.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:50
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.