Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Anaheim 2014 conference, to be held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California, from October 24-26, 2014.
New This Week
- On August 29, 2014, Children with Diabetes was granted 501c3 status as a public charity in the United States.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life 2015, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from Monday, July 6th, through Sunday, July 12th, 2015. Our hotel block is open for reservations, and conference registration will open later this year.
- Last week's poll asked our readers how satisfied they are with the care their child receives at school or daycare. This week's poll asks our readers if they use a continuous glucose monitor.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Ballerina Dreams by Zippora Karz, illustrated by Jenne Van Eeghen.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The day after my daughter started pumping, she experienced a low, so I decided to pick her up from school. Imagine my surprise when the nurse told me "She's suspended." As she realized my eyes had widened, she corrected herself, saying, "Oh, I meant her pump."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your son gets a bloody nose and you reach for the glucose meter to check his blood sugar. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Do you have type 1 if you test positive for all three antibodies? Can you test positive for antibodies later because you have been on exogenous insulin?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
What age was your child "self sufficient" with their diabetes care?
Diabetes in School
- Attention Maryland Parents of Children with Diabetes! The American Diabetes Association is presenting Safe at School parent workshops throughout the state in September. The workshops will educate parents about their child's rights at school, appropriate services and modifications for inclusion with written plans, strategies for the resolution of school diabetes care challenges, and resources available to help advocate for your child. Information and registration can be found at www.diabetes.org/advocacy/news-events/md-sas.html
- Fourth Issue of ADA's Diabetes Docket, Legal Advocacy eNews. September is back-to-school time, and this issue contains valuable school-related information and updates for families of children who have diabetes. Also read about some American Diabetes Association Advocates, a new Coach USA policy for drivers with type 2 diabetes and how to get help for diabetes discrimination issues. Read this issue to learn more--and please share it with others!
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- An In-Depth Look at the Diabetes UnConference.
- Insulet's Next-Generation Personal Diabetes Manager will Integrate with Dexcom Gen 5 CGM and Mobile App.
- Diabetes on the Back-Burner.
- The Helmsley Charitable Trust is seeking a Senior Program Officer for their Type 1 Diabetes Program.
Products, Services and Books
- Glu : What You Didn't Know about CGM in the Cloud.
- Nightscout Dexcom-Moto G Case is now available.
- Assessing the effectiveness of 3â€…months day and night home closed-loop insulin delivery in adults with suboptimally controlled type 1 diabetes: a randomised crossover study protocol. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Multicenter Closed-Loop/Hybrid Meal Bolus Insulin Delivery with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effect of Intensive Diabetes Therapy on the Progression of Diabetic Retinopathy in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: 18 Years of Follow-up in the DCCT/EDIC.
- Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibition in Type 1 Diabetes: Simultaneous Glucose Lowering and Renal Protection?
- The Relative Effectiveness of Pumps Over MDI and Structured Education (REPOSE): study protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Preserved Beta-Cell Function in Type 1 Diabetes by Mesenchymal Stromal Cells.
- Hypoglycemic seizures and epilepsy in type I diabetes mellitus.
- Changes in diet and physical activity in adolescents with and without type 1 diabetes over time. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Obstructive sleep apnoea in people with Type 1 diabetes: prevalence and association with micro- and macrovascular complications.
- Prevalence of vascular complications and factors predictive of their development in young adults with type 1 diabetes: systematic literature review. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Normal or defective immune response to Hepatitis B vaccine in patients with diabetes and celiac disease: An open issue.
- Prevalence and clinical features of celiac disease in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis: cross-sectional study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Gluten-free labeling standards kick in.
- Wheat consumption takes hit in gluten-free trend.
- Celiac disease awareness event to educate, highlight gluten-free diets.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- The all-diabetic pro cycling team in the Tour of Britain. See also unique diabetic team to ride final bristol leg of tour of britain.
- Triathlete inspires children with type 1 diabetes.
- Four-Time Olympian Kris Freeman Balances Type 1 Diabetes with Olympic Dreams.
- Hiding nothing: Diabetic lingerie model Amanda Kuc poses with insulin pump.
- Diabetes doesn't slow down Ben Davis quarterback Kyle Castner.
- Ben Davis QB, diabetic Kyle Castner emerging as role model for both on-field, off-field exploits.
- Breastfeeding my Type 1 Diabetic Baby.
- Pharmaceutical company ends type 1 diabetes drug program.
- Clinical Trial To Test Safety of Stem Cell-Derived Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes. See also ViaCyte starts diabetes trial.
- Report calls for a new national approach to insulin pump therapy and related new technology for type 1 diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:51
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.