Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Anaheim 2014 conference, to be held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California, from October 24-26, 2014.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life 2015, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from Monday, July 6th, through Sunday, July 12th, 2015. Our hotel block is open for reservations, and conference registration will open later this year.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- On August 29, 2014, Children with Diabetes was granted 501c3 status as a public charity in the United States.
- How can people without diabetes understand what living with diabetes is really like? Share your experiences -- Walk With D.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our readers about the insulin regimen they use most often. This week's poll asks our readers how satisfied they are with their diabetes care regimen.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Young Voices: Life with Diabetes by Hala Khalaf.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I was sending my son a text this morning â€“ he has a stomach bug and low ketones â€“ and my note was "remember, fluids and insulin will make the ketones go away." It autocorrected to "fluids and insulin will make the kittens go away."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you go through a drive-in at Dunkin' Donuts and see the sign that said "High Curb" and you start laughing because you think it said "HIGH CARB." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My granddaughter lies about cheating with foods and has great swings in her blood sugars. She will not do her school work and does not care about anything. Where can we find help?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
looking for some advice on sleepovers for girls ages 8-10
Support and Advocacy
- Project Blue November provides a curated collection of ideas and inspiration for people who want to raise awareness of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Apply for a Big Blue Test grant.
Studies and Surveys
- Researchers at the University of South Florida (USF) are looking for people age 18 or over who have diabetes and who have experienced transitioning from pediatric to an adult physician for diabetes, and for health care providers who care for children or young adults with diabetes, to participate in a Diabetes Transition Experiences Study.
Diabetes in School
- Care of Young Children With Diabetes in the Child Care Setting: A Position Statement of the American Diabetes Association. Also available in PDF format.
General Diabetes Information
- The Great List of Diabetes Resources, Websites, Books, and More!
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- CGM in the Cloud: A Community Unites to Tackle Diabetes.
- The Hypo That Changed My Mind About CGM in the Cloud.
- The Pump or Injections . . . or Both?
- Students with Diabetes is now accepting applications for the Summer 2015 Internship positions.
Products, Services and Books
- Young Adult Type 1 Diabetes Realities offers guidance and advice for emerging adults and their parents.
- The Impact of Accelerometer Use in Exercise-Associated Hypoglycemia Prevention in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Occurrence of Increased Arterial Stiffness in a Cohort of Adult Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus When Compared to Normoglycemic Controls.
- Helminth Infections Decrease Host Susceptibility to Immune-Mediated Diseases. (See also Helminths in Wikipedia.)
- C-peptide replacement therapy as an emerging strategy for preventing diabetic vasculopathy.
- Probiotics Cut Autoimmunity 33% in Infants at Risk for Diabetes.
- Did you get the full story about artificial sweeteners and diabetes?
- A Clinical Trial of the Accuracy and Treatment Experience of the Dexcom G4 Sensor (Dexcom G4 System) and Enlite Sensor (Guardian REAL-Time System) Tested Simultaneously in Ambulatory Patients with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Attitudes and Barriers to Exercise in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes (T1DM) and How Best to Address Them: A Qualitative Study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Enhancing parental motivation to monitor African American adolescents' diabetes care: development and Beta test of a brief computer-delivered intervention. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Blood pressure disturbances and endothelial dysfunction markers in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Cancer and Type 1 Diabetes: Insulin an Unlikely Carcinogen. (Free Medscape membership required.)
- Comparison between Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study 7-field retinal photos and non-mydriatic, mydriatic and mydriatic steered widefield scanning laser ophthalmoscopy for assessment of diabetic retinopathy.
- High Adherence to a Gluten-Free Diet in Adolescents With Screening-Detected Celiac Disease.
- Dr. Alessio Fasano Speaks Out About Celebrity Gluten-Bashing, Celiac Disease Research.
- Gluten detection in foods available in the United States - A market survey.
- Drug for Celiac Disease Eases Symptoms in Multicenter Trial.
- Not Guten for My Gut.
Legal and Legislative
- Diabetes Supplies Now a Patient Safety Dilemma.
- Lawsuit: Teacher Canned for Administering Diabetes Shot During Class.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- When the Biomedical Industry Can't Prioritize Diseases, Private Money Can Save Livesâ€‹.
- Modern Life Without a Pancreas.
- Living With Type 1 Diabetes -- a Forgotten Disease.
- Brandon Roux, son fight Type 1 diabetes together.
- Teaching through high-tech teddy bears: a chat with inventor Aaron Horovitz.
- A 12-year-old girl with diabetes is taking on 410km bike ride in Taiwan.
- Southern Owls lineman won't let diabetes hold him back.
- Farnworth mum: 'Kearsley West Primary School is struggling to supervise my daughter's diabetes'.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:51
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.