Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life 2015, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from Monday, July 6th, through Sunday, July 12th, 2015. Our hotel block is open for reservations, and conference registration will open later this year.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- How can people without diabetes understand what living with diabetes is really like? Share your experiences -- Walk With D.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers what they use most often to treat hypoglycemia. This week's poll asks readers about when they are most concerned about hypoglycemia.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Control of Your Diabetes, 4th Edition by Steven V. Edelman, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
When Marissa was home over the weekend, I got up to test her around 4 a.m. (she was staying up until 1:30 or 2:30 doing whatever in her room). Anyway, the one night, I picked up the strips, looked at the code on the meter saying 26 and said to myself, "Guess I'd better change the code since the vial says 50." In that split second, it dawned on me that the "50" I saw on the vial was the NUMBER of strips in the vial. Code 26 was written on the vial, too. It helps to be COMPLETELY conscious when testing our kids.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when, instead of whispering "sweet nothings" to each other in the middle of the night, you and your spouse are talking about blood sugar numbers. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
The endocrinologist has recommended we put our daughter on a pump before she starts kindergarten in the fall. Our daughter is not interested. What are its advantages compared to pens?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How many Dexcom Receivers does your child go through in a year?
- Our List of Gluten Free Candy will help families with celiac to make an informed choice on what to enjoy on Halloween.
Support and Advocacy
- Sign up for the FDA-Patient Dialogue on Unmet Needs in Diabetes, to be held on Monday, November 3, 2014 from 1:00 to 4:00 pm Eastern.
- LETâ€™S TWEET! / Hey Congress! #Vote4DM!
- #DOCasksFDA - A Virtual Discussion with the FDA.
- Learn about the IDF's World Diabetes Day Monument Challenge.
- Looking for something to do with your pumpkins after Halloween? Join Smash Diabetes.
- The 7th Annual WDD Blue Circle Photo Contest encourages individuals, families, friends, and coworkers to be involved in producing a unique blue circle creation to raise awareness for diabetes.
Diabetes in School
- The Diabetes Hope Foundation has a new Transition Resource Guide to help Canadian youth with type 1 in their college planning.
- ADA releases Position Statement on Diabetes Management in Childcare Setting and what it means for parents | diaTribe.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- 5 Books People With Diabetes Should Read.
- First Impressions: Dexcom SHARE.
- A Bliss Point for Diabetes?
- Living with Diabetes (and Losing It) in the Republic of Cyprus.
- How to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse with T1D.
- The Betatrophin Blues.
- One year remission of type 1 diabetes mellitus in a patient treated with sitagliptin. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Increased Immune Cell Infiltration of the Exocrine Pancreas: A Possible Contribution to the Pathogenesis of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Losing a Grip on the Notion of Î²-Cell Specificity for Immune Responses in Type 1 Diabetes: Can We Handle the Truth? Free full text available in PDF format.
- Enterovirus infection is associated with an increased risk of childhood type 1 diabetes in Taiwan: a nationwide population-based cohort study.
- Type 1 Diabetes Surges In White Kids.
- Higher glucose concentrations following protein- and fat-rich meals - the Tuebingen Grill Study: a pilot study in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Usability and Training Differences Between Two Personal Insulin Pumps.
- Therapeutic inertia: underdiagnosed and undertreated hypertension in children participating in the T1D Exchange Clinic Registry.
- Use of snacks in insulin-treated people with diabetes mellitus and association with HbA1c, weight and quality of life: a cross sectional study.
- The Mechanisms and Therapeutic Potential of SGLT2 Inhibitors in Diabetes Mellitus.
- Glutamic acid decarboxylase autoantibody-positivity post-partum is associated with impaired Î²-cell function in women with gestational diabetes mellitus.
- Association of pre-pregnancy BMI and postpartum weight retention with postpartum HbA1c among women with Type 1 diabetes.
- Factors affecting adherence to a gluten-free diet in children with celiac disease.
- Perinatal risk factors increase the risk of being affected by both type 1 diabetes and celiac disease.
- Neuropsychiatric symptoms and celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Against the Grain.
- The Rise of Celiac Disease Still Stumps Scientists.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- App allows local mom to monitor son's blood sugar levels.
- Alpha Epsilon Pi brothers bike outside house for diabetes fundraiser.
- MU student's death highlights difficulties of balancing Type 1 diabetes, college life.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.