Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life 2015, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from Monday, July 6th, through Sunday, July 12th, 2015. Our hotel block is open for reservations, and conference registration will open later this year.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- How can people without diabetes understand what living with diabetes is really like? Share your experiences -- Walk With D.
New This Week
- Sebastien Sasseville plans to complete his cross-Canada run on November 14th, at 3pm -- World Diabetes Day.
- Join the Connected in Motion World Diabetes Day Photo Scavenger Hunt.
- Remember to participate in the Big Blue Test.
- Last week's poll asked readers about when they are most concerned about hypoglycemia. This week's poll asks readers to estimate how much time they spend each day on diabetes care tasks.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Kids First Diabetes Second: Tips for Parents a Child with Type 1 Diabetes by Leighann Calentine.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I came downstairs one afternoon and my son Max (age 10, dx 4 years ago) said, "Mom, I was 28!" I said "Oh my gosh (panic rising in my throat), did you get some juice? Do you need help?" "No," he said. "Not my blood sugar! 28 was my Wii Fit age!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your 10-year-old daughter looks at a beautiful, pinkish-purple sunset and declares, "That is so pretty! It looks like an infected site!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen son checks his blood sugar only once or twice a day, refuses to upload his numbers from the pump or get blood work, and will not discuss his diabetes with me. What should I do?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Why check ketones? What would you do differently if your child has ketones?
Support and Advocacy
- Learn about the IDF's World Diabetes Day Monument Challenge.
- The 7th Annual WDD Blue Circle Photo Contest encourages individuals, families, friends, and coworkers to be involved in producing a unique blue circle creation to raise awareness for diabetes.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- How The Diabetes Online Community Saved Me.
- What is the Discussion On Stem Cells and Diabetes All About? A Guide to the Hope and the Hype | diaTribe.
- FDA-Patient Dialogue on the Unmet Needs in Diabetes | diaTribe.
- A Father's Letter to His Son, Newly Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Ultimate Guide to Raising a Child With Type 1 Diabetes (an Amazing eBook).
- Purple Because Aliens Don't Wear Hats.
- Tootsie Roll of Doom.
- Shameless Public Displays of Diabetes.
- Running Strong with Diabetes On Board.
- Costco Does Diabetes.
- Major Advance for Diabetes Stem Cell Therapy?
- Use of an artificial pancreas among adolescents for a missed snack bolus and an underestimated meal bolus.
- cprThe FGF21 analogue, LY2405319, lowers blood glucose in streptozotocin-induced insulin-deficient diabetic mice by restoring brown adipose tissue function.
- Docosahexaenoic acid has an anti-diabetic effect in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Experiences of health care transition voiced by young adults with type 1 diabetes: a qualitative study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glycemic targets in the second and third trimester of pregnancy for women with type 1 diabetes.
- Prevalence of retinopathy in patients with type 1 diabetes diagnosed before and after puberty.
- Weight trajectory of youth with new-onset type 1 diabetes comparing standard and enhanced dietary education.
- Biochemical and Immunochemical Evidences Supporting the Inclusion of Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) as a Gluten-free Ingredient.
- Why celiac disease is so easy to miss. Free full text available in PDF format.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Usher teams up with Camp Kudzu for Atlanta charity event.
- Woman with Type 1 Diabetes Completes NYC Marathon, Raises Funds for Research.
- Miss Idaho gives Type 1 diabetics brave role model.
- Middle Georgia family raises childhood diabetes awareness.
- One wheel, many goals.
- Giant Coup For Diabetes UK Northern Ireland.
- #WalkWithD Social Media Campaign Drives Donation to IDF's Life for a Child Program for Every Hashtag Mention in November.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.