Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life 2015, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from Monday, July 6th, through Sunday, July 12th, 2015. Our hotel block is open for reservations, and conference registration will open later this year.
World Diabetes Day and Month Events
- Sebastien Sasseville plans to complete his cross-Canada run on November 14th, at 3pm -- World Diabetes Day.
- Join the Connected in Motion World Diabetes Day Photo Scavenger Hunt.
- Remember to participate in the Big Blue Test.
- Learn about the IDF's World Diabetes Day Monument Challenge.
- The 7th Annual WDD Blue Circle Photo Contest encourages individuals, families, friends, and coworkers to be involved in producing a unique blue circle creation to raise awareness for diabetes.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- How can people without diabetes understand what living with diabetes is really like? Share your experiences -- Walk With D.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers to estimate how much time they spend each day on diabetes care tasks. This week's poll asks readers how many times per day they do a fingerstick glucose check.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Why Me? Why Did I Have To Get Diabetes? by Robert Messinger and Laura Messinger.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
When my daughter was in kindergarten one of her classmates told his mom, "Noelle has to go the health office all the time." When she asked him why, he said, "Because she is diabolical." Of course, she knew what he meant. We still call her our diabolical diabetic.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your non-D child refers to all numbers as carbs - "I'm 3 carbs old!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed with type 1 in July, our teen daughter is experiencing recurring headaches. We moved recently and she changed schools, but we do not think she is that stressed. What are we missing?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Newly diagnosed and I don't know why her B/S is so high
Studies and Surveys
- Glu is conducting a survey about Symlin.
- If you could create a local Diabetes Helpers community, would you?
General Diabetes Information
- The Health Insurance Marketplace & People with Diabetes.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- FDA-Patient Dialogue on the Unmet Needs in Diabetes. See also Celebrating a full November - what I took away from our patient day at the FDA | diaTribe.
- The Day Our Diabetes Community Crashed the FDA.
- #RockItLikeRichard on November 18th.
- How I Joined the Artificial Pancreas Project.
- First Impressions of a Nightscout Newbie.
- The Grouch Addresses D-Tech.
- An Unprecedented Discussion with the FDA on Nov 3 - #DOCasksFDA.
- Sports for Kid With Diabetes: One Rower's Story.
Products, Services and Books
- MiniMed Silhouette and MiniMed Sure-T Tubing Detachment Safety Notice.
- Increasing trends in the incidence and prevalence rates of type 1 diabetes among children and adolescents in the Netherlands.
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes among Polish children ages 0-14 years from 1989-2012.
- A preclinical study on the efficacy and safety of a new vaccine against Coxsackievirus B1 reveals no risk for accelerated diabetes development in mouse models.
- A Method for Gene-Based Pathway Analysis Using Genomewide Association Study Summary Statistics Reveals Nine New Type 1 Diabetes Associations.
- Health Behaviour in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Compared to a Representative Reference Population. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Efficacy and Safety of Metformin for Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Meta-Analysis.
- BMI is an important driver of beta cell loss in type 1 diabetes upon diagnosis in 10-18 year old children.
- Insulin injection site dystrophic calcification with fat necrosis: a case report of an uncommon adverse effect. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Healthcare Professional Requirements for the Care of Adult Diabetes Patients Managed with Insulin Pumps in Australia.
- Modern basal insulin analogs: An incomplete story. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Specific Non-Gluten Proteins of Wheat are Novel Target Antigens in Celiac Disease Humoral Response.
- Identification and characterization of intestinal lactobacilli strains capable of degrading immunotoxic peptides present in gluten.
- Bone Mineral Density at Diagnosis of Celiac Disease and after 1 Year of Gluten-Free Diet. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Tonight's University Lecture: Creating a Bridge to a Cure for Diabetes. See also ENG Prof's Bionic Pancreas Takes a Big Step Forward.
- UAB research could be a breakthrough for diabetes treatment. See also In human clinical trial, UAB to test drug shown to completely reverse diabetes in human islets, mice.
- Woman's insulin use in fighting diabetes recognized.
- Diabetes UK launches new care in school helpline.
- FDA Approves Dexcom Software with Artificial Pancreas Algorithm.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Expands Diabetes Data Management Access with Diasend Partnership.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.