Donate to Children with Diabetes
Children with Diabetes is an Ohio-based 501(c)(3) charitable organization devoted to providing education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes. You can help us by making a tax-deductible donation today. Thank you.
Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life 2015, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from Monday, July 6th, through Sunday, July 12th, 2015. Our hotel block is open for reservations and conference registration is open.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers when they last cleaned their glucose meter. This week's poll asks readers if they commemorate their date of diagnosis.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Discovery of Insulin by Michael Bliss.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My seven year old daughter was recently diagnosed with diabetes. A couple of weeks ago, my five year old son Brian told me that he wasn't feeling well because he cut his finger and saw the "hydrates coming out."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your daughter approaches the register at the school book fair and in an effort to find out how much money she owes utters, "How many grams of carbs are these?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Is it important that my 13-year-old son have his cholesterol checked? Our insurance company has called twice to ask if this has been done, but I thought it was a type 2 issue.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Overnight highs while traveling?
Support and Advocacy
- FDA is looking for public comments on insulin bolus calculators.
- Join a live interview with Cynthia Rice update on #MedicareCoverCGM on Wednesday, December 10th from 4-6 pm Eastern.
- Do You want YOUR CHILD to receive a PERSONAL Letter from Santa?
Studies and Surveys
- A company developing a new glucagon rescue drug is looking for your feedback on a one-question survey.
- The Google[x] Smart Contact Lens team is looking for your help with an online survey.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- The Active Diabetes Community: An Evolution.
- We Are One Diabetes: A New Home for Professional T1D Peeps.
- Invokana Helps My Type 1 Diabetes.
- Celebrating Tom Beatson.
- What comes after burnout?
- Six Ways to Stay Motivated to Manage Your Diabetes Well.
Products, Services and Books
- Insulin Pump Comparison: Which Pump is Right for You?
- Our Test Run of the New Customizable MySnap Insulin Pump.
- Our friends at diaTribe want to help you get and stay fit by giving you the chance to win a free Fitness Tracker. Enter to win your choice of a Fitbit Flex or Jawbone Up fitness tracker, and increase your chances by encouraging others to join to get more bonus prizes! Plus, you'll also receive some of the latest news in diabetes and obesity from diaTribe as well -- a win-win! The giveaway starts on October 28th and runs until December 15th. You can check out their giveaway and enter at www.diatribe.org/getfit.
- 'Diabetes: a cure at last' or just hype?
- Closing the loop overnight at home setting: psychosocial impact for adolescents with type 1 diabetes and their parents. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 inhibition and the potential for renal protection in diabetic nephropathy.
- Challenges of optimizing glycaemic control in children with Type 1 diabetes: a qualitative study of parents' experiences and views.
- Age at diagnosis predicts deterioration in glycaemic control among children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Sleep, executive functioning and behaviour in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Perceptions and experiences of using automated bolus advisors amongst people with type 1 diabetes: A longitudinal qualitative investigation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Quality of life in Danish children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes treated with continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion or multiple daily injections.
- Predicting the Effectiveness of Insulin Pump Therapy on Glycemic Control in Clinical Practice: A Retrospective Study of Patients with Type 1 Diabetes from 10 Outpatient Diabetes Clinics in Sweden over 5 Years.
- Association between post-dinner dietary intakes and nocturnal hypoglycemic risk in adult patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Physiological and Glycemic Responses Following Acute Ingestion of a Popular Functional Drink in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Emergency Department Ondansetron Use in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and Vomiting.
- Efficacy, safety and accept ability of the new pen needle 33gx4mm. AGO 01 study.
- Patients have unwritten duties: experiences of patients with type 1 diabetes in health care.
- Normal or defective immune response to Hepatitis B vaccine in patients with diabetes and celiac disease.
- Different health behaviors and clinical factors associated with bone mineral density and bone turnover in premenopausal women with and without type 1 diabetes.
- Gender Differences in Retinal Microvasculature Through Puberty In Type 1 Diabetes: Are Girls at Greater Risk of Diabetic Microvascular Complications?
- Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion in Italy: Third National Survey.
- Frequency and predictors of confirmed hypoglycaemia in type 1 and insulin-treated type 2 diabetes mellitus patients in a real-life setting: Results from the DIALOG study.
- Hypoglycaemia requiring medical assistance in patients with diabetes: A prospective multicentre survey in tertiary hospitals.
- Development and validation of a cost-utility model for Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Glucose control in Rwandan youth with type 1 diabetes following establishment of systematic, HbA1c based, care and education.
- Ingestion of oats and barley in patients with celiac disease mobilizes cross-reactive T cells activated by avenin peptides and immuno-dominant hordein peptides.
- Decrease in lactobacilli in the intestinal microbiota of celiac children with a gluten-free diet, and selection of potentially probiotic strains.
- Role of the gluten-free diet on neurological-EEG findings and sleep disordered breathing in children with celiac disease.
- Perinatal Risk Factors for Development of Celiac Disease in Children, Based on the Prospective Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study.
- Mucosal Healing in Patients with Celiac Disease and Outcomes of Pregnancy: a Nationwide Population-based Study.
- Predictors of dietary gluten avoidance in adults without a prior diagnosis of celiac disease.
- Stop Mocking Gluten-Free Faddists.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- 50 Years Later â€” Beating The Type 1 Diabetes Prognosis.
- Quick-thinking Lucas, 4, saves life of diabetic Plymouth mum.
- Mother finds unique, savvy way to monitor son's Type 1 diabetes.
- KORN Singer Jonathan Davis Discusses His Son's Battle With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Mifflinburg teen overcomes Type-I diabetes.
- Research at UVa Medical Center could change life for Type 1 diabetics.
- BU student refuses to let diabetes hold her back.
- Mothers slam diabetes emergency injection policy.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.