Donate to Children with Diabetes
Children with Diabetes is an Ohio-based 501(c)(3) charitable organization devoted to providing education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes. You can help us by making a tax-deductible donation today. Thank you for making a difference.
Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life 2015, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from Monday, July 6th, through Sunday, July 12th, 2015. Our hotel block is open for reservations and conference registration is open.
New This Week
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Canada 2015, to be held at the Marriott Gateway on the Falls in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, from October 23-25, 2015. Our hotel block is open for reservations and conference registration is open.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they commemorate their date of diagnosis. This week's poll asks readers if they are concerned about their child's ability to pay for diabetes supplies as a grown up.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes by Amy Stockwell Mercer.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We just put an in-ground pool in our backyard this summer. One day, I was testing the pool for chlorine and ph balance. My 9 year old daughter saw me put the testing strip in and compare it to the colours on the bottle. She then asked, "Does the pool have ketones?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your laundry smells good because you accidentally washed the glucose tabs again. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
After a bout with strep a few weeks ago, my teen daughter has been having recurrent lows, despite decreasing her insulin. Various tests have been normal. What else could be causing the lows?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
After Diagnosis: how long does it take to regulate blood sugars to average range?
Support and Advocacy
- FDA is looking for public comments on insulin bolus calculators.
- Forbidden Topic in Health Policy Debate: Cost Effectiveness is worth reading.
Studies and Surveys
- A company developing a new glucagon rescue drug is looking for your feedback on a one-question survey.
- The Google[x] Smart Contact Lens team is looking for your help with an online survey.
General Diabetes Information
- The Network for Pancreatic Organ donors with Diabetes works to address key immunological, histological, viral, and metabolic questions related to how type 1 diabetes develops. Learn more from Anne's Story: Support diabetes research through organ donation.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- 7 Tips for Volunteering Abroad with Type 1.
- Best of the 'Betes Blogs: Best of 2014.
- Don't Let Doctors Push A Pump On You.
- "Instead of making insulin ...."
- Surviving, But Barely: A Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis in Nepal.
- We Can Do This - Diagnosed Under Two Years Old.
- Unsupervised home use of overnight closed-loop system over 3 to 4 weeks - Pooled analysis of randomized controlled studies in adults and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Longitudinal Assessment of Neuroanatomical and Cognitive Differences in Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes: Association with Hyperglycemia.
- Is There a Link Between Liraglutide and Pancreatitis? A Post Hoc Review of Pooled and Patient-Level Data From Completed Liraglutide Type 2 Diabetes Clinical Trial.
- Reduced Ki67 staining in the postmortem state calls into question past conclusions about the lack of turnover of adult human beta cells.
- Impact of HbA1c, Followed From Onset of Type 1 Diabetes, on the Development of Severe Retinopathy and Nephropathy: The VISS Study (Vascular Diabetic Complications in Southeast Sweden).
- The "Ups" and "Downs" of a Bike Race in People with Type 1 Diabetes: Dramatic Differences in Strategies and Blood Glucose Responses in the Paris-to-Ancaster Spring Classic.
- Associations of Disordered Eating Behavior With the Family Diabetes Environment in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Risk Factors for Decline in IQ in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes Over the 12 Years From Diagnosis/Illness Onset.
- Hypoglycemia and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease and All-Cause Mortality in Insulin-Treated People With Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes: A Cohort Study.
- Cancer Risk Among People With Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes: Disentangling True Associations, Detection Bias, and Reverse Causation.
- Validation of a hemoglobin A 1c model in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes and its use to go beyond the averaged relationship of hemoglobin A 1c and mean glucose level. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Celiac disease and its impact on the oral health status - review of the literature. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The range of lesions in the small intestine of children with celiac disease determined by capsule endoscopy. Free full text available in PDF format.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Jay Cutler is the Chicago Bears nominee for the Walter Payton NFL Man Of The Year Award.
- CU-Boulder student group working to educate campus about Type 1 diabetes.
- Stanford soccer star handles diabetes, faces decision to join Sounders.
- Girl Scout awarded for helping children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Dispelling the misconceptions and confusion surrounding diabetes.
- Texas County Constable Saves Life Of Veteran In Diabetic Coma.
- Expansion of Groundbreaking Pilot Study May Result in Major Advances in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Healthline Welcomes DiabetesMine.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.