Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life 2015, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from Monday, July 6th, through Sunday, July 12th, 2015. Our hotel block is open for reservations and conference registration is open.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Canada 2015, to be held at the Marriott Gateway on the Falls in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, from October 23-25, 2015. Our hotel block is open for reservations and conference registration is open.
New This Week
- Diabetes Hands Foundation Announces Interim Executive Director as Manny Hernandez, Co-Founder and President, Steps Down.
- Applications for the 2015 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
- Last week's poll asked readers about the insulin they use. This week's poll asks readers about how much insulin they use each day.
- The Featured Book of the Week is A First Book for Understanding Diabetes (companion to the 13th Edition of "Understanding Diabetes") by H. Peter Chase, MD and David M. Maahs, MD, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son recently was ill and had returned to school. His blood sugar went extremely low and the rescue had to be called. This obviously caused quite a commotion at the school. That evening a mother called to say that her daughter was worried about my son and had reported "Mom, his blood sugar was so low it was down to his belly button!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when, while driving in the car with your diabetic child, a radio show asks listeners to call in with the answer to the question, "What do parents most often say at their kids?" and your daughter answers, "Did you bolus?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I have had type 1 for 26 years and have no complications. I am concerned about low diastolic readings when I check my blood pressure. Should I be concerned?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Camp (A discussion of diabetes camp)
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a camp near you.
General Diabetes Information
- JDRF launches new pregnancy toolkit for UK women with type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Just Talking Podcast with Dana Lewis, who talks about her Do It Yourself Pancreas System.
- Wisdom of the Elders.
- #WeAreNotWaiting: The (Not So?) Brief Story of Tidepool.
- Off-Label Use of Non-insulin Therapies for Type 1 Diabetes during Cold and Flu Season.
- Ask D'Mine: Marking 200 Great Pieces of Diabetes Advice.
- I Speak Diabetes.
- Recovering from Diabulimia.
- Medtronic MiniMed 640G and SmartGuard Technology.
- Hypoglycemia threat great concern, says survey.
- Multinight "Bedside" Closed-Loop Control for Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Performance and Acceptability of a Combined Device for Insulin Infusion and Glucose Sensing in the Home Setting.
- Diazoxide improves hormonal counterregulatory responses to acute hypoglycemia in long-standing Type 1 Diabetes.
- Preexisting Insulin Autoantibodies Predict Efficacy of Otelixizumab in Preserving Residual beta-Cell Function in Recent-Onset Type 1 Diabetes.
- High Reported Treatment Satisfaction in People With Type 1 Diabetes Switching to Latest Generation Insulin Pump Regardless of Previous Therapy.
- Toddlers' diabetes: the lost insulin drop and SemiPens vs. DeciPen.
- Extending the diabetic retinopathy screening interval beyond 1â€…year: systematic review. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Family Density and SES Related to Diabetes Management and Glycemic Control in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Performance of the First Combined Smartwatch and Smartphone Diabetes Diary Application Study.
- Age at Gluten Introduction and Risk of Celiac Disease.
- Non-celiac Gluten Sensitivity.
- Gluten-Free Craze Is Boon And Bane For Those With Celiac Disease.
- Why You Should Test For Celiac Before Going Gluten Free.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Derek Theler Talks Living With Type 1 Diabetes With Bello Mag.
- Colorado Springs man sets Manitou Incline record despite suffering from diabetes.
- Phil and Marie Hewitt, diabetes awareness activists, Pools for Prevention.
- Teen with diabetes organizes Winter Masquerade Ball.
- Medtronic Launches MiniMed 640G System, Breakthrough in Artificial Pancreas Technology, Outside the U.S.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.