Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life 2015, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort from Monday, July 6th, through Sunday, July 12th, 2015.
- Make plans to attend our Focus on Technology: Anaheim 2015 conference, to be held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California from September 18 - 20, 2015.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit prepared. This week's poll asks readers if they or their child has been tested for celiac.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The ABCs of Loving Yourself with Diabetes by Riva Greenberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We just put an in-ground pool in our backyard this summer. One day, I was testing the pool for chlorine and ph balance. My 9 year old daughter saw me put the testing strip in and compare it to the colours on the bottle. She then asked, "Does the pool have ketones?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when in conversation, your husband describes his personality as Type 1 instead of Type A. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Despite my best efforts, my teen son's pediatric endocrinologist feels we are not doing enough to prevent highs and lows. My son wears a pump and a CGM. Would an adult endocrinologist be a possible solution?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
For pumpers: do you still do a bedtime snack?
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- Type 1 Diabetes Unites Classmates.
- Association between hypoglycaemia and impaired hypoglycaemia awareness and mortality in people with Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Infrared thermographic assessment of changes in skin temperature during hypoglycaemia in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Magnetic resonance imaging reveals altered distribution of hepatic fat in children with type 1 diabetes compared to controls.
- Effect of vitamin E supplementation on HDL function by haptoglobin genotype in type 1 diabetes: results from the HapE randomized crossover pilot trial.
- Treatment of diabetes with encapsulated pig islets: an update on current developments. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Behavioral economics survey of patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Current State of Type 1 Diabetes Treatment in the U.S.: Updated Data From the T1D Exchange Clinic Registry. See also Treatment outcomes in type 1 diabetes could be improved across all age groups.
- Analysis of insulin pump settings in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Twice- rather than once-daily basal insulin is associated with better glycaemic control in Type 1 diabetes mellitus 12 months after skills-based structured education in insulin self-management.
- Delayed Gastric Emptying is Associated with Early and Long-Term Hyperglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Impact of Fat, Protein, and Glycemic Index on Postprandial Glucose Control in Type 1 Diabetes: Implications for Intensive Diabetes Management in the Continuous Glucose Monitoring Era.
- Evidence-Informed Clinical Practice Recommendations for Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes Complicated by Problematic Hypoglycemia.
- Depressive Symptoms in a Trial Behavior Family Systems Therapy for Diabetes: A Post Hoc Analysis of Change.
- Impact of Physical Activity on Glycemic Control and Prevalence of Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A Cross-Sectional Multicenter Study of 18,028 Patients.
- Photopic full-field electroretinography and optical coherence tomography in type 1 diabetic retinopathy.
- 15-year incidence of diabetic ketoacidosis at onset of type 1 diabetes in children from a regional setting (Auckland, New Zealand).
- Celiac and non-celiac gluten sensitivity: a review on the association with schizophrenia and mood disorders. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- HBV Revaccination with Standard vs. Pre-S Vaccine in Previously Immunized Celiac Patients: A Randomized Control Trial.
- Evidence Against Routine Testing of Patients with Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders for Celiac Disease: A Population-based Study.
- Portable gliadin-immunochip for contamination control on the food production chain.
- Will Restaurants Ever Take the Gluten-Free Diet Seriously Despite the Imposters?
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Bob Duff: IndyCar driver Charlie Kimball races past diabetes.
- Indy 500 notes: Kimball, with diabetes, pleased with third.
- IndyCar's Charlie Kimball: 'There's no gas in the gas tank'.
- Four-year-old girl makes history in world-first attempt to prevent type 1 diabete.
- Rockwell native receives medal from diabetes center.
- A study in living well.
- Basketball camp in Rockford helps kids with diabetes manage their condition.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday May 27, 2015 20:19:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.