Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend our Focus on Technology: Anaheim 2015 conference, to be held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California from September 18 - 20, 2015.
- In conjunction with our Focus on Technology: Anaheim 2015 conference, CWD is hosting A Private Evening with Ed Damiano, PhD, Creator of the Bionic Pancreas as a fundraiser for the Bionic Pancreas Project and CWD's conferences.
New This Week
- Insulet Corporation Issues Voluntary Recall of OmniPod® Insulin Management System.
- Last week's poll asked readers if their child with type 1 diabetes has a 504 plan at school. This week's poll asks parents if they are satisfied with the care that their child receives at school or day care.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Gluten Freedom by Alessio Fasano, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I am home schooling our 5 year old son, who just went on the pump 5 months ago. Today we were learning about the letter 'S'. He was excited. "I know what begins with 'S'- 'Site change'! I'm sure any other teacher would be more than a little perplexed by this answer.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when Your daughter asks, "Can I get some ketchup to go with my test strips?" instead of her chicken strips. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed with type 1 at 2, my grandson has just started on Ritalin as he begins kindergarten. What effects might the drug have on his blood sugars?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Your local EMTs and Glucagon?
Support and Advocacy
- Contact Your Representative and Senators to Urge Them to Co-sponsor the National Diabetes Clinical Care Commission Act (H.R. 1192/S. 586).
- AYUDA (American Youth Understanding Diabetes Abroad) is now accepting applications for its 2016 programs.
- The Diabetes Patient Advocacy Coalition (DPAC) seeks to ensure the safety and quality of medications, devices, and services; and access to care for all 29 million Americans with diabetes.
- Make plans to attend Gigi and Michael Otten's 10th Annual Pig Roast for a Cure, to be held at their home on Long Island, NY on September 19, 2015 beginning at 2pm and lasting until the last guests decide to leave. The event raises research funds for the DRIF and the CWDF. For more information, contact Michael at email@example.com.
Studies and Surveys
- Closing the Loop: Participate in Our Automated Insulin Delivery Survey.
- Researchers at the University of South Florida (USF) are conducting a research study called "Distress in Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: Links to Perceptions of Social Stigma and Peer-Support". The purpose of this research study is to examine the associations between the psychosocial issues of distress, social stigma and peer-support in young adults, ages 18-30 with type 1 diabetes (T1D).
- The ATG-GCSF New Onset Study is recruiting patients ages 12 to 45 within three months of diagnosis. If this is you or a member of your family, please enroll.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. Our goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study.
- The T1D Exchange Living Biobank collects blood samples needed by the scientific community for type 1 research and stores additional samples for future use. Please join.
Diabetes in School
- Video aims to educate school staff about students with diabetes.
- School and the type 1 child.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Pride, Victory, and T1D.
- The Day I Wore My Son's CGM.
- 70 Years With Type 1 Diabetes - A Conversation with Richard Vaughn.
- Appreciating Partners and Spouses in the Diabetes Community.
- Sanofi and Google Life Sciences to Collaborate to Improve Diabetes Health Outcomes.
- To the D-Parents.
- The bionic pancreas | Edward Damiano | TEDxSacramento.
- The Human Trial is a feature-length documentary with unprecedented, real-time access to one of America's top labs - ViaCyte in San Diego. This groundbreaking film follows the team's triumphs and failures in the lab as they attempt to make medical history at a landmark clinical trial in 2015.
- Unsupervised overnight closed loop insulin delivery during free living: analysis of randomised cross-over home studies in adults and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Predictive factors for prolonged remission after autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in young patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Comparison of Metabolic Outcomes in Children Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes Through Research Screening (Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young [DAISY]) Versus in the Community.
- Insulin-Producing Endocrine Cells Differentiated In Vitro From Human Embryonic Stem Cells Function in Macroencapsulation Devices In Vivo.
- Diabetes Is Reversed in a Murine Model by Marginal Mass Syngeneic Islet Transplantation Using a Subcutaneous Cell Pouch Device. Free full text PDF available via link on journal web page.
- Effects of High-Intensity Interval Exercise versus Moderate Continuous Exercise on Glucose Homeostasis and Hormone Response in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Using Novel Ultra-Long-Acting Insulin.
- Glycemic control and sponsor rank of military dependents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Identifying Differences in Risk Factors for Depression and Anxiety in Pediatric Chronic Disease: A Matched Cross-Sectional Study of Youth with Lupus/Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and Their Peers with Diabetes.
- Ocular Complications in Children with Diabetes Mellitus. See also Diabetic Retinopathy Screening for Children with Type 1 Diabetes Should Start at Later Stage, New Study Say.
- Effects of Gluten-Free Diet on Quality of Life and Depression in Children With Celiac Disease.
- Presentation of Celiac Disease in Finnish Children Is No Longer Changing: A 50-Year Perspective.
- Gluten-free GM wheat can help celiac patients.
- How did we make Cheerios gluten free?
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Google Life Sciences Makes Diabetes Its First Big Target.
- Belton man uses 3-D printer to make insulin pump for little girl's doll.
- Blood sugar monitor tested on diabetes patients.
- $2.5M funding for research on the artificial pancreas.
- Vidyo Helps Pioneering Clinic Treat and Empower Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday September 02, 2015 17:34:21
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.