Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend our Focus on Technology: Anaheim 2015 conference, to be held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California from September 18 - 20, 2015. In conjunction with our Focus on Technology: Anaheim 2015 conference, CWD is hosting A Private Evening with Ed Damiano, PhD, Creator of the Bionic Pancreas as a fundraiser for the Bionic Pancreas Project and CWD's conferences.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers if they use a continuous glucose monitoring system. This week's poll asks our readers about the insulin regimen they use most often.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
On his first appointment after being diagnosed, the nurse was discussing injection sites with our son. "Where do you get your shots?" she asked, meaning, arm, hip, etc. "It all depends," our then 5-year-old explained. "Sometimes in the kitchen, sometimes in the bathroom!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when while driving in the car with your diabetic child, a radio show asks listeners to call in with the answer to the question, "What do parents most often say at their kids?" and your daughter answers, "Did you bolus?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Can someone go in and out of the honeymoon? Sometimes our daughter needs no insulin for weeks, then needs daily shots for a few weeks, then no insulin, etc.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Pediatric endo's feedback to D teen
Studies and Surveys
- Closing the Loop: Participate in Our Automated Insulin Delivery Survey.
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- Hacking In Medical Devices: White And Black Hats, Part 1 and Hacking In Medical Devices: White And Black Hats, Part 2 examine the security of medical devices.
Diabetes in Social Media
- If I Could Do It Again.
- Defining a cure: It's unique to each person.
- Dear JDCA (Juvenile #Diabetes Cure Alliance) Part Two.
- A Child's Passing From Diabetes.
- How We Live a Normal Life with Diabetes.
- Why I Ditched My Insulin Pump for Injections.
- Genetic Testing in Diabetes? Separating Hope from Hype.
- Diabetes and Handcuffs: A Harrowing Night in Custody.
- Cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide: a novel regulator of islet function, islet regeneration and selected gut bacteria.
- Naltrexone for treatment of impaired awareness of hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes: A randomized clinical trial.
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Adjunctive Metformin Therapy in Overweight/Obese Youth with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of NPH Insulin in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: The Importance of Appropriate Resuspension Before Subcutaneous Injection.
- Impact of Frequent and Persistent Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) on Hypoglycemia Fear, Frequency of Emergency Medical Treatment, and SMBG Frequency After One Year.
- Potential Insulin Underdelivery from Prefilled and Reusable Insulin Pens in Cases of Premature Needle Withdrawal: A Laboratory Evaluation.
- Periodontal Diseases and Dental Caries in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pregnancy planning in type 1 diabetic women improves glycemic control and pregnancy outcomes.
- Management of adolescents with very poorly controlled type 1 diabetes by nurses: a parallel group randomized controlled trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Infections and Risk of Celiac Disease in Childhood: A Prospective Nationwide Cohort Study.
- The Prevalence of Celiac Disease in Children and Adolescents in Germany. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- How NOT to Treat a Celiac at a Restaurant.
Legal and Legislative
- Illegally Fired for Hypoglycemia.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Diabulimia: When Diabetes Meets an Eating Disorder.
- Diabetes trial targets body's ability to produce insulin.
- 11 aspects of understanding a loved one with type 1 diabetes.
- If I hadn't followed my instincts, I'd be planning my daughter's funeral\.
- Becky Armstrong-Botham To Walk To Poles To Raise Awareness Of Condition.
- A calculated life: for parents, managing juvenile diabetes calls for attention to details.
- Area volleyball stars refuse to let diabetes stop them.
- Father, sons learning to live with type 1 diabetes.
- Living with Type 1 Diabetes.
- 'Above all she has hope': Eight-year-old with type 1 diabetes determined to help fund research to find a cure.
- Dear Parent of a Child Newly Diagnosed With Diabetes.
- New Film Explains Monogenic Diabetes.
- A Unified Community: Let's Put An End To T1D.
- Dexcom G5® Mobile Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Receives CE Mark.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday September 16, 2015 18:39:57
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.