New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers about the insulin regimen they use most often. This week's poll asks our readers how satisfied they are with their diabetes care regimen.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Control of Your Diabetes, 4th Edition by Steven V. Edelman, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We recently moved to a new home with pool. I was getting ready to take my non-diabetic 3 year old swimming. She was waiting patiently on the deck while I checked the chlorine level with a pool test-strip. She watches me read the strip and then says, "Can we swim mommy or does the pool have ketones?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when for Halloween your child dresses up as a sharps box. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter has been ill twice recently and I've had to increase her insulin significantly. Should I be concerned? Is there anything you recommend I do?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
And this is why you want to have a 504
Studies and Surveys
- Teens with Type 1 Diabetes and their Parents are needed for a shared decision making study about the use of insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring systems.
- Closing the Loop: Participate in Our Automated Insulin Delivery Survey.
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- The Open Artificial Pancreas System project (#OpenAPS) is an open and transparent effort to make safe and effective basic Artificial Pancreas System (APS) technology widely available to more quickly improve and save as many lives as possible and reduce the burden of Type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Not One More Missed Type 1 Diagnosis.
- ALL NEW Jerry the Bear Revealed. See also For Diabetic Kids, A Game-Changer in the Form of A Stuffed Bear.
- You Can't Stop The Waves But You Can Learn To Surf ... With Diabetes.
- Feeling Out of Place.
- The star footballer with an insulin pump in his kit bag: Ben Coker is an 'incredible inspiration' who doesn't let diabetes hold him back.
- I Grapple with Hypoglycemia-Induced Depression.
- Injecting Movies with Type 1 Diabetes.
Products, Services and Books
- Children's book by Joseph Swope focuses on diabetes awareness.
- Home Use of an Artificial Beta Cell in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Stress Testing of an Artificial Pancreas System With Pizza and Exercise Leads to Improvements in the System's Fuzzy Logic Controller.
- Combining glucose monitoring and insulin delivery into a single device: current progress and ongoing challenges of the artificial pancreas.
- Topical administration of GLP-1 receptor agonists prevents retinal neurodegeneration in experimental diabetes.
- EASD: Intranasal glucagon reverses hypoglycemia in children and adolescents.
- Efficacy and safety of canagliflozin: results of an 18-week phase 2 study in patients with type 1 diabetes. See also Invokana lowers HbA1c and aids weight loss in adults with type 1 diabetes, study finds and First Data on SGLT2 Inhibitor Canagliflozin in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Update on ketoacidosis with SGLT2 inhibitors.
- Momentary Predictors of Insulin Restriction Among Adults With Type 1 Diabetes and Eating Disorder Symptomatology.
- High hemoglobin A1c variability is associated with early risk of microalbuminuria in children with T1D.
- Effect of sensor-augmented pump treatment vs. multiple daily injections on albuminuria: a 1 year randomized study.
- Integrated insulin pump therapy with continuous glucose monitoring for improved adherence: technology update. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Severe Hypoglycemia and the Role of the Significant Other: Expert, Sentry, and Protector.
- The Effects of Transition from Bedtime to Morning Glargine Administration in Patients with Poorly Regulated Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Croatian Pilot Study.
- Clinical presentation and memory function in youth with type 1 diabetes.
- Long-term excess risk of heart failure in people with type 1 diabetes: a prospective case-control study.
- Experimental hookworm infection and escalating gluten challenges are associated with increased microbial richness in celiac subjects.
- Engineering of Kuma030: a gliadin peptidase that rapidly degrades immunogenic gliadin peptides in gastric conditions.
- Immune response to Hepatitis B vaccine in patients with celiac disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Sebastien Sasseville: dreaming with type 1 diabetes.
- Bionic pancreas automatically controls diabeticsâ€™ blood sugar.
- Stillwater running back doesn't let diabetes slow him down.
- Tandem Diabetes Care to Begin Shipping t:slim G4 Insulin Pump with CGM Integration.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday September 23, 2015 20:03:29
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.