Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Falls Church 2016, to be held at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, Virginia, from Friday, April 8th, through Sunday, April 10th, 2016.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Sign up for the University of Florida Pediatric Endocrinology World Diabetes Day "BLUE CIRCLE" Photo Contest.
- Have you ever thought about interning at a leading diabetes company? Well, now's your chance! The 2016 Students With Diabetes Internship Program is accepting applications now through December 15, 2015. For more information visit www.studentswithdiabetes.com/685-2.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers about how much time they spend on diabetes-related tasks each day. This week's poll asks parents about who helps their child administer insulin in a child-care setting.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Burnout: What To Do When You Can't Take It Anymore by William Polonsky.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
It is sad how much our little ones are picking up on the lingo associated with diabetes. My little granddaughter was calling to my son and he didn't respond right away, so she yelled out, "You get over here, right this insulin!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find your five-year-old daughter testing the finger of her baby doll and saying "Uh-Oh, what did you eat?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teenaged daughter's A1c is its highest. She often forgets to bolus and grazes a lot. Do all teens rebel against diabetes? How can I help her understand the importance of bolusing and a proper diet?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Our lowest yet - 38
Studies and Surveys
- Parents of very young children with type 1 diabetes are needed to help design and build a great website for other parents like you. If you are a parent (or legal caregiver) of a child with type 1 diabetes diagnosed before age 6, and your child is not yet 10 years old, just follow this link to learn more: https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=L3HKPK33J4
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
Diabetes in Social Media
- Sleep Number.
- Single With Diabetes.
- 5 Reasons People Ditch the Pump.
- Why Celebrities with Diabetes Matter.
- Singing Classical Music, and Coming Out of the Shadows of Diabetes Secrecy.
- Jesse Was Here: What If Type 1 Diabetes Hadn't Taken His Life?
- Vaccinations and childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Diet, Microbiota and Immune System in Type 1 Diabetes Development and Evolution. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Coxsackievirus B5 Infection Induces Dysregulation of MicroRNAs Predicted to Target Known Type 1 Diabetes Risk Genes in Human Pancreatic Islets.
- Changing the Course of Disease in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML Reader format.
- No association between use of multivitamin supplement containing vitamin D during pregnancy and risk of Type 1 Diabetes in the child.
- Zinc and Other Metals Deficiencies and Risk of Type 1 Diabetes: An Ecological Study in the High Risk Sardinia Island. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Hemoglobin A1c and Self-Monitored Average Glucose: Validation of the Dynamical Tracking eA1c Algorithm in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Protocol for systematic review of evidence on the determinants and influence of early glycaemic control in childhood-onset type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Panretinal Photocoagulation vs Intravitreous Ranibizumab for Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy: A Randomized Clinical Trial. See also Anti-VEGF Pharmacotherapy as an Alternative to Panretinal Laser Photocoagulation for Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Predictors of Glycemic Control in Adolescents of Various Age Groups With Type 1 Diabetes.
- The factors affecting on estimation of carbohydrate content of meals in carbohydrate counting.
- A Type 1 Diabetes Genetic Risk Score Can Aid Discrimination Between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in Young Adults.
- Valuing technology: A qualitative interview study with physicians about insulin pump therapy for children with type 1 diabetes.
- Reduced frequency and severity of ketoacidosis at diagnosis of childhood type 1 diabetes in Northwest Saudi Arabia.
- Missed Medical Appointments and Disease Control in Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Age-related differences in celiac disease: Specific characteristics of adult presentation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Role of oats in celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Reduced Bone Mineral Density Is Associated with Celiac Disease Autoimmunity in Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Parental Health Beliefs, Socio-demographics, and Healthcare Recommendations Influence Micronutrient Supplementation in Youth with Celiac Disease.
Legal and Legislative
- Pennsylvania Lawmakers Call for Type 1 Education.
- Parents say Seattle school failed to help diabetic son.
- School's quality of diabetes care criticized.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Facebook billionaire Sean Parker wants to eliminate diabetes. See also Why a tech billionaire thinks a $10M gift to UCSF can disrupt, fix diabetes.
- Using Apple HealthKit to care for patients with Type 1 diabetes.
- How Three Brothers are Changing What We Know About Type 1 Diabetes.
- Olympic Trials Qualifier Doesn't Let Diabetes Slow Her Down.
- ND students dominating diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes: An Unrelenting Disease.
- Heed early warning signs about type 1 diabetes.
- Arizona's impact rookie Domi playing with diabetes.
- Teen overcomes diabetes to keep playing hockey.
- Johnson City family shares son's story to raise awareness about Type 1 Diabetes.
- 14 realities of having type 1 diabetes in your 20s.
- OneTouch Reveal┬« App for Diabetes Management Adds Support for HealthKit.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Tuesday November 17, 2015 19:59:46
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.