Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Falls Church 2016, to be held at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, Virginia, from Friday, April 8th, through Sunday, April 10th, 2016.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Orlando 2016, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida, from Tuesday, July 5th, through Sunday, July 10th, 2016. Scholarships for families, young adults, and adults are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers how they think type 1 diabetes will be cured first. This week's poll asks readers about the insulins they use.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Through the Looking Glass: Seeing diabetes from your child's perspective by Dr Rachel Besser.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The day after my daughter started pumping, she experienced a low, so I decided to pick her up from school. Imagine my surprise when the nurse told me "She's suspended." As she realized my eyes had widened, she corrected herself, saying, "Oh, I meant her pump."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you go through a drive-in at Dunkin' Donuts and see the sign that said "High Curb" and you start laughing because you think it said "HIGH CARB." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I would like to understand ketones better. What causes them? How do they affect the body? How are they formed?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Lantus and a pump
Conferences and Events
- Your 2016 Diabetes Conference Calendar.
- The 2016 ConnecT1D Retreat is scheduled for June 25-26, 2016, at the Bell Harbor Conference in Seattle, Washington.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
Diabetes in Social Media
- Diabetes Advocacy Orgs: Their Successes in 2015 and Plans for 2016.
- Looking Back at 10 Years and 100 Issues of diaTribe.
- On This Day In Diabetes History: Leonard Thompson - The Boy Who Lived.
- New Year's Resolutions: My 2015 Failures, Successes, and Four Key Lessons Learned.
- The Three Glendale Police Officers with Type 1.
- Future Diabetes Gadgets, as Seen at CES 2016.
- Qualifier for the Olympic Trials in Marathon Running Diagnosed with Type 1.
- 7 years.
- Have You Remembered Your Child Without Diabetes Today?
- Day-and-Night Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: A Free-Living, Randomized Clinical Trial.
- The role of the intestinal microbiota in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Severe epidermal nerve fiber loss in diabetic neuropathy is not reversed by long-term normoglycemia after simultaneous pancreas and kidney transplantation.
- Retinal Neuronal and Vascular Function in Type 1 Diabetes Adults during Glycaemic Clamps.
- The Effect of Long-Acting Insulin Analogs on the Risk of Cancer: A Systematic Review of Observational Studies.
- Accuracy of continuous glucose monitoring during differing exercise conditions.
- White Coat Adherence in Pediatric Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Who Use Insulin Pumps.
- Effects of subcutaneous, low-dose glucagon on insulin-induced mild hypoglycaemia in patients with insulin pump treated type 1 diabetes.
- Insulin pump use and discontinuation in children and teens: a population-based cohort study in Ontario, Canada.
- Dietary patterns and retinal vascular calibre in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Associations of demographic and behavioural factors with glycaemic control in young adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Improving patient outcomes with technology and social media in paediatric diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Is the change in body mass index among children newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus associated with obesity at transition from pediatric to adult care?
- Metabolic and hormonal response to intermittent high-intensity and continuous moderate intensity exercise in individuals with type 1 diabetes: a randomised crossover study.
- A Prospective Study on the Usefulness of Duodenal Bulb Biopsies in Celiac Disease Diagnosis in Children: Urging Caution.
- Celiac Disease and Vaccinations.
- Being celiac in a sea of gluten-free dieters.
- Celiac Disease Community: Looking to Go Beyond.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Kids with diabetes find comfort in custom American Girl dolls.
- Wiregrass guard leads team despite battle with Type 1 diabetes.
- FDA Approves Animas┬« Vibe┬« Insulin Pump and Continuous Glucose Monitoring System For Use in Children.
- Insulet Enters into Development Agreement with Eli Lilly for OmniPod Delivery of U200 Concentrated Insulin.
- Zucara Therapeutics Inc. developing drug to prevent hypoglycemic episodes for people with diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday January 13, 2016 20:18:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.