Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Falls Church 2016, to be held at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, Virginia, from Friday, April 8th, through Sunday, April 10th, 2016.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Orlando 2016, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida, from Tuesday, July 5th, through Sunday, July 10th, 2016. Scholarships for families, young adults, and adults are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
New This Week
- It's once again time to Spare a Rose, Save a Child. Your donations bring life-saving insulin and diabetes care products to over 15,000 children with type 1 diabetes in 48 under resourced countries through the IDF's Life for a Child program.
- Spare a Rose 2016.
- Last week's poll asked readers if diabetes has changed how well they sleep. This week's poll asks readers about which insulin pump they use.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Gluten Freedom by Alessio Fasano, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
After dinner one night, I sent my 9-year-old son to wash his face. I had noticed a large dot of ink on his forehead and told him to be sure to wipe it off as he washed up. At 8:00, my husband sent the kids up to get into their pajamas and told Jimmy to wash the dot off his forehead. Jimmy came back downstairs for his nightly Lantus shot. He was in his pajamas, but still had the dot. I had the syringe in one hand and the alcohol pad in the other. Deciding he was never going to clean that dot off his forehead, I proceed to rub at it with the alcohol pad. His eyes widened in horror as he shouted, "MOM! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I explained about the dot. "Oh", he said with relief, "I thought you were going to give me the shot there! I know it has two cheeks, but that's my face." Guess where he gets his evening shot?
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child is playing a video game and when the "life force" level starts running out she says "Oh no! I'm low" and then starts laughing hysterically and says "I need glucose tablets!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Recently diagnosed, we keep reducing our toddler's insulin to prevent lows. If we continue to reduce it, might this stress his remaining pancreatic function?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How do you deal with fat?
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
Diabetes in Social Media
- Closed-Loop Diabetes Tech Update: iLET, Bigfoot, TypeZero & More.
- Making It Simple: Bigfoot's Approach to the Artificial Pancreas.
- International Diabetes Closed Loop Trial: Could it Support FDA Approval?
- Teen Actress Brec Bassinger Talks Showbiz and Type 1 Diabetes.
- 23 Hilarious Diabetes Sniglets We Just Made Up.
- Type 1 Teddy Bear Wins IBM Award.
- How I learned not to overparent my child living with diabetes.
- What Improves My Healthcare Experience.
- The Five Stages of Grieving Diabetes.
- Diabetes: Just imagine for a second . . . .
- Alyssa's Promise: How to Drive Safely with Diabetes.
- Jesse Alswager's Cause Of Death.
Products, Services and Books
- New Tresiba Insulin Now Available in the USA.
- First report on the nationwide incidence and prevalence of Type 1 diabetes among children in Turkey.
- Beta-cell mass in non-diabetic autoantibody-positive subjects: an analysis based on the nPOD database.
- Significant elevation of serum dipeptidyl peptidase-4 activity in young-adult type 1 diabetes.
- Recognition of ZnT8, Proinsulin, and Homologous MAP Peptides in Sardinian Children at Risk of T1D Precedes Detection of Classical Islet Antibodies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Implication of Cytotoxic Helicobacter pylori Infection in Autoimmune Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Resting beta-cells - A functional reserve?
- High glucose-induced hyperosmolarity contributes to COX-2 expression and angiogenesis: implications for diabetic retinopathy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Assessing the Accuracy of Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) Calibrated With Capillary Values Using Capillary or Venous Glucose Levels as a Reference.
- Cardiovascular disease guideline adherence and self-reported statin use in longstanding type 1 diabetes: results from the Canadian study of longevity in diabetes cohort. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia in subjects with type 1 diabetes. Results of an online survey in a diabetes web site.
- Continuous insulin therapy versus multiple insulin injections in the management of type 1 diabetes: a longitudinal study first experience in Brazil.
- Indications for the use of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion in pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- QT interval, corrected for heart rate, is associated with HbA1c concentration and autonomic function in diabetes.
- Functional hearing deficits in children with Type 1 diabetes.
- Effect of Volume of Fluid Resuscitation on Metabolic Normalization in Children Presenting in Diabetic Ketoacidosis: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Infant feeding and risk of developing celiac disease: a systematic review. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Celiac disease in a large cohort of children and adolescents with recurrent headache: A retrospective study.
- 273 Fast Food Chains Across North America Commit to Gluten Free.
Legal and Legislative
- Private School Expels Child With Type 1.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- An Eating Disorder in People With Diabetes.
- Teen raising money for kits that will help ease diabetes fear.
- What it means to live with diabetes.
|Receive the What's New page via E-mail|
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday February 03, 2016 22:54:47
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.